The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » No Entry (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
My take on Card To Pocket... Please let me know if this exact routine has been done before!

Michael Kras

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3NigsphRgQ
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Not the perfect effect for camera... the p**m, no offence, was horrible. But, A) That was to a 2D image, so you can't fool the camera, and B) Spectators wouldn't notice it, but in my opinion, the pa*m needs work.

The problem with this effect, is you actually need a spectator there, to give your actions meaning, else it looks like what you are doing, is in fact what you are doing.

Also, my pet hate...people riffling the pack so much!!!! I hate walking into a roo full of Magicians, and all you hear is RIFFLE, RIFFLE, RIFFLE!!! It is so annoying!!! Yet a force of habbit for Magicians! (Not a personal rant at you Smile )
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
meyegr
View Profile
Special user
Only able to muster
800 Posts

Profile of meyegr
No - this "exact" routine has never been done.

What is the purpose of the question?
Ron Slater
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Ron Slater
Michael,

Again, overall you are doing a great job of using your imagination and having fun with your card magic. First of all, Christopher is right, try to shake off the knack of riffling the pack when it isn't necessary. I do this a lot too so I understand. However, during a performance a riffle draws attention to the deck and for the most part you don't want that. I like the shuffling and the springing of the cards in the beginning, shows some card skills for your audience however I would stop their with the springs and quick riffles.

Also, you are introducing this effect to the audience as a card to pocket. Now, most would say let this be a surprise, don't actually tell them where the card is going. However, I enjoy the method of having them already know whats about to happen, and the use of the tape will either get you laughs (which is ok for a bit of humor) or it will just come off as you intend it (to make it more impossible for anything to get in your pocket). The only problem with announcing what is going to happen is, you MUST be very good at A. your palm, and B. your misdirection.

If you are passionate about this effect, I would buy a book or DVD on palming. I realize it seems like palming is simply getting the card in your hand, but their are a lot of subleties to palming that will make it look flawless. I would personally suggest that you do the "dirty work" after reinserting the inside linen into your pocket. As I viewed the demo, this was the best time in my eyes. For example, if you pull out the linen to show your pocket empty (still have the deck in your left hand by the way)turn your body slighty to the left and say, "do you see anything in there"? As the spectator is looking at your pocket hanging out, do the palm. Turn back around when they respond "no", having the card palmed in your right hand. Push the linen back into the pocket with the card. This does need to be done smooth however I feel this is better timing and misdirection because the audience isn't focused on the deck at this point. One more thing, I wouldn't suggest having a spectator reach in your pocket for the revalation. I can't imagine many would want to reach into your jeans but who knows. Just show your hands clean and produce it yourself.

Good job,

Ron
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Michael,

First: welcome back. Good to see you've kept on creating and experimenting with magic.

Second: The idea for the routine was good. I agree with the others about the amount of riffles/springing the cards. This gets distracting. I also agree that you should work hard on the subtleties of palming, especially for this as the core of the routine depends on it. Only thing I have to add is to carefully script your presentations. Write out the patter/script. Rehearse it over and over. There shouldn't be so many pauses, "umms," etc in your script. I recognize fully that it's difficult to perform just for the camera. If this is the problem, then get a real spectator! It's always more entertaining to watch a performance with a real spectator, and it's easier to do the performance as well.

Still it was a good idea for the routine. Take everyone's advice and work on it to make it even better.

Brian
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Thank you everyone! Iagree, my palming needs a lot of work. Does anyone have any good references for how to improve palming technique? Thank you.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Hey Mike...nice idea.

I think in order for you to pull this off you have to do this in a 3 phase routine...with each phase building under seemingly test conditions.

First phase: palm the card off and show that it SURPRISINGLY jumps to your pocket.

Second phase: Put the card back in the deck (control to the top)and as Ron Slater said, pull out your pocket lining to show it is empty...and load the card when stuffing the lining back in your pocket.

Third Phase: Apparently put the signed card back in the deck and tape the pocket closed. Make a magical gesture to show that the card has jumped to the pocket. Tear off the tape and with your EMPTY hand,remove the card from your pocket. In order for this to work...something has to happen during the second phase to make the Third phase as clean. Its a standard Homing card move.

Your presentation is like a challenge...so if your were to do it in the way I suggested...it seems like it is even more difficult for you to cheat with each phase. Just my opinion.

Rich B.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Start with the basics and move up. Dai Vernon.

Learn a classic palm.

Also you need to deal with having your hand so close to the pocket after showing it empty. You go to great lengths to "show it empty" and BAM your hand is there. This is easier to do with a spectator involved to cover your actions.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Don't give up. Time will make you a better magician, just stick with it.

Good luck...
Ron Slater
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Ron Slater
Rich B is absolutely correct. Once your palming is improved, a 3 phaser is what you want. As I read Riches post, it got me thinking. Have a spare indifferent card in your pocket before you even begin the effect. Go through the first face of a simple palmed off card to pocket, control to top, pull liner out, palm card in pocket as you replace liner in pocket. that's phase 2. Now bring out the card showing it went to the pocket again after you just showed the liner but don't pull the card all the way out, just enough to see its the correct signed card. Here you can turn over the card letting the card drop back into your ( you would need some justification for doing so however). Go back into the pocket offering the spectator to watch it one more time, but this time under impossible conditions. Bring the indifferent card from pocket being sure not to flash it and place it in the deck. Now the selection is already in your pocket and you can tape it shut. Just some ideas for you. As I watched the demo again, you strike me as a really young Lee Asher. I don't why I suppose you sound similar and have similar antics, not such a bad thing Smile

Ron
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » No Entry (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL