The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Just came up with my first card "script/story" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Yiannos
View Profile
New user
Australia
57 Posts

Profile of Yiannos
Hi..

I don't often post on here but I'm a habitual lurker and absolutely love the amount of advice/info that's available here at the Café. I've just put together my first story or script or whatever you call it for a card trick and just wondered what some of the more experienced magicians think.

I believe the original name of the effect is "snowshoe sandwich" - it's the one where you use a hot-shot cut to shoot the selected card out of the deck and catch it between two cards. The basic story goes as follows:

I take out the two black jacks and ask the spectator "do you know what the letter J stands for on these cards?" Obviously they reply that it stands for Jack. I say: "No, as a matter of fact the J's stand for 'Jaws'. These are the Jaws cards. And these other cards are the fifty swimmers.

"Now the fifty swimmers are, for the most part, sensible people. They know it's safest to swim in the ocean in a large group. Unfortunately, one of them is not so sensible. I'll ask you to select our foolish swimmer right now."

The spectator picks a card, remembers it, and loses it back in the deck.

"So now are swimmers are having a lovely time, 'la la la, swim swim swim', completely unaware that not far away is a dangerous shark. (hum the "Jaws" theme)

"All of a sudden our foolhardy swimmer decides to impress everyone by swimming right out into the deeper water (hum the "Jaws" music faster and faster, perform the hotshot cut and catch) 'aieeeeee!' The Jaws snap him up!

"Always swim with a buddy!"

The presentation is kind of comical and goofy, but that fits my personality pretty well so I don't think it's a huge problem. Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts? Has this been done before?

Thanks! Smile

Yianni
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
I often do what you just described as part of my two-phased routine as my starter. Although your presentation is good and I certainly see where you are coming from, I personally do not like to personify cards, but do you what you think is best.

It all boils down to what you think works best for you. If you can mold the tricks with your personality, that is what really matters.

Hope that helped!
Charles
Indigo52
View Profile
New user
East Tennessee
11 Posts

Profile of Indigo52
I like the effect-it is on one of Darryls tapes as Snowshoe Sandwich-but I didn't care for the story that came with it. I like your version. Properly presented, I think it should play well.

Good luck,
Ken
Indigo52
View Profile
New user
East Tennessee
11 Posts

Profile of Indigo52
For what it's worth-I happened to think of another trick that you might want to consider working in with your routine. It's called Cannibal Cards and I saw it on Easy to Master Card Miracles--don't remember which volume--but would follow your theme with slight modification. As a plus, it's visual and humorous.

Just a thought-
Ken
Yiannos
View Profile
New user
Australia
57 Posts

Profile of Yiannos
Thanks for your input guys. Charles, I completely understand that some people probably don't like personifying cards but I've always found it really sucks me into the narrative of an effect, which is why I decided to go that way.
Ken - I don't have Easy to Master Card Miracles but I'm thinking about ordering one or two volumes of it next time I do an online shop for books or dvds.
Thanks again guys, I appreciate it.

Yianni
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Just came up with my first card "script/story" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL