The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What a weekend (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
I get hired for a 3 day festival. 2 half hour shows plus 2 hours walkaround on Friday. 2 hours walkaround and 1 deluxe show after the baseball game on Saturday. 2 half hour shows and 2 hours of walkaround again on Sunday.

Friday:
It rains on and off all day. I setup under the "pavillion" and don't get too wet. Both shows had small...small audiences (less than 15 people). Walkaround goes OK. I stay an extra hour at which point the skys open up and rain all over everybody. I load up and go home.

Saturday
The forecast is clear. I arrive very early and do balloon animals for tips (as I am allowed to do) I am told that the baseball game is supposed to end at 9:30. At 10:35 the game actually ends and I go onto the field. I am using my Shure wireless mic with a truly inferior sound system. The audience was OK(about 100 people maybe a little more). Of course it started raining and everything got wet. Oh well... at least people thought the show was good enough to stay through the rain.

Sunday
HOT HOT HOT but otherwise a normal day. The 2 show go off with out a hitch. 60 people at each show. The turnout was awful, they were expecting 1000s and got 100s. I stay an extra hour, pack up and go home.

What a weekend. It was the most performing I have done in a 3 day span (maybe even a week) and I learned a lot.

1) Use a good sound system.
2) Have a backup of everything.
3) If you are outdoors, be prepared for Mother Nature.
4) Bring LOTS of extension cords.
5) Be flexible

Joe
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Joe, Sounds like a good time was had by all! At least you got to shake out some situations and learn a lot of new things!!
;} from a quick safety perspective, if you are going to be using extension cords, in odd/wet weather, do be sure to get one with the GFCI in it.
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Every performance event is educational and we all learn from it. And through it all we become better. Congratulations, Joe. You became better through this experience, right?
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Joe,
The back up of everything is sure a necessity....

That old thing about Murphy being an optimist is true...LOL

Also I do a lot of outdoor work and I have gotten used to dealing with the elements. Don't like em some times but have to deal with them. I HAVE CREATED A COUPLE OF "bUSKERS STRAPS" for outdooor work.. They are a 1 inch black elastic strap that has velcro around the ends for securing to the table. I use these to tuck cards, spongs balls, and anything else that mother nature can figure out how to vanish in the middle of my act.
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hey, SeaDawg:

What a cool tip -- thanks for the heads-up on the busker's straps!
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Speaking of festivals, in negotiating the fee with the client, do you put in a clause about the weather, stating that you will be paid a portion (or all) of the fee in the event the show is cancelled or cannot be performed due to the weather?

Brian
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
Yes I do. There are actually 2 clauses that cover it. I wrote these myself. I AM NOT A LAWYER AND THIS SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE!!
Here they are:

For all outdoor events: The client is responsible for an alternate plan for inclement weather. Outdoor events must have a contingency plan for bad weather. A nearby building/indoor area is preferable, but a sizeable tent may be used. The performer has the right to cancel the show(s) and receive his full fee from the client in cases of rain, snow, wind or other severe weather if there is no protected area in which to perform.
On the day of the show, the client agrees to pay the full fee as long as the performer is ready, willing and able to perform. In extreme circumstances, an alternate date may be purchased, by the client, for an additional 50% of the full fee, when available. If the client does not meet the terms and conditions of this agreement, or if the performer is unable to perform because of an action, error or omission by the client or a guest, then the show can be cancelled by the performer and the full fee will be charged. If the performer is unable to meet the terms of this contract because he is hospitalized, severely ill, or because of an extreme circumstance, then the performer shall return any of deposit(s) and shall assist the client in finding another entertainer

Joe
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What a weekend (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL