The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » levitation plans? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Shadow
View Profile
Regular user
Akron, OH
171 Posts

Profile of Shadow
I am looking to build a chair suspension or other “packs small plays big” levitation. It must be very portable and be able to work surrounded.
I think a max weight of 175 pounds (suspended) should do it.

Any suggestions or sources for plans?
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I think if you're going to build just one chair suspension you would be better off buying one. It would cost almost as much to build one as to buy one. (New or used.)
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Shadow, I would strongly advise a different illusion if you plan to build it yourself. Eldon is right, unless you own a machine shop and have a structural engineer as a buddy you will spend far too much time and money building this effect. It will cost you far more in legal fees if this thing falls apart with a spectator on it. Most of the current models on the market are not that safe in the first place. Be careful and good luck!
Chance Wolf
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Shadow
View Profile
Regular user
Akron, OH
171 Posts

Profile of Shadow
Well, I am an engineer and work at a place that allows access to a full machine shop.
I just haven't found one(chair lev) on the market I like, and was looking for plans as a starting point to re-design.

Thanks,
Shadow
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
Shadow;
I do not particularly like the chair suspension; but have several sets of plans for the illusion equipment. The best by far would have to be in the Harbin book. The clinchers on his version are the chairs that he used and that the board is removed during the suspension. Nevertheless, I have never felt that the chair suspension would fool nor particularly entertain anyone - my opinion.
Jim
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Elite user
Portugal
441 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
I have a question about the chair suspension:

What is the big secret to making chairs support an adult?
I ask this because there are versions that only support a kid...

Thanks in advance.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Joao, The big secret is Maximum Reinforcement. Actually, most of the Chair Suspensions are not built to the standards of safety which I would feel comfortable with. There is an additional modification to the gimmick which I added to help in use for an Adult. Clearly, I cannot expose the "secret". I may release my version if there seems to be a market for it. Expect high quality chairs, board and gimmick along with a higher price. It will be capable of supporting adults with minimal if any drooping.
Hope this helps!
Chance Wolf

mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
Chance as always hit this one right on the nose.

This and several other types of illusions are better off built by the pros.

I know that it is really expensive that way. But SAFTEY, yours and the spectator's, is the # 1 priority. Can you say lawsuit?

Not only that but you don't want to cause harm to anyone or yourself.

Plus you also want a top quality prop. Do you want to see a levitation were it's jerky or not very magical?

I would still suggest making a phone call to a reputable illusion builder for some much need advice.

And most of all don't rush the process or cut corners. Make everything very strong and sturdy. But, not so well built you need a forklift to move the thing.

In no way am I discouraging you. I am just merely trying to give you some advice that you can take to the workshop. Let us know how it goes.

Best,
Mike
Tim Taylor
View Profile
Veteran user
1970 - 2012
375 Posts

Profile of Tim Taylor
I'm pretty sure there would be a market out there for it. I know I'm interested. Looking at your website I know it would be top notch!
"Even a mosquito gets a slap on the back for a job well done" - Tim Taylor
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Mike and Midnight, thanks for the confidence! Mike, you are absolutley right on all your points. Man, what a nightmare it would be to see this paticular illusion fail and hurt a spectator. I am amazed that I have not heard of more incidents where a prop failed and has hurt someone. It might be a great thread to start if it has not been posted already. There have been MANY items in the past that have been marketed. I have looked at the "craftsmanship" and non-existant engineering and shook my head hoping to God that someone would not get hurt using this junk. Everybody, please be careful when choosing an illusion which could put a spectator in harm's way based on even a remote chance of failure.
I will be considering marketing my version. Just for the record, the design will be approved by my friend Mark Scott who has a 30 year carreer in Structural Engineering and all parts will be machined by my uncle with equal time experience as a machinist. I can assure you this prop will be of lighter weight and built to last a lifetime...as well as SAFE.
Wish you the best,
Chance
Smile

Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Believe it or not the chair suspension I use currently is older than me. My mentor Dr. Morgan had given it to me. It is without a board and I can even step on the suspended assistant on the single chair, and it was custom built. So you'd rather do it yourself, I suppose. Sorry I am on the different side with the majority this time.

Click here to view attached image.
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
brownbeauty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of brownbeauty
Hey Chance!
Now you tell me that you have a chair suspension! I searched high and low for a Bill Smith chair suspension and finally found one. This prop is built to hold!!! Nothing shaky about it! $2500.00 and worth every Penny!
Chance, let me know when you are ready to start building them.

Rudy
Shadow
View Profile
Regular user
Akron, OH
171 Posts

Profile of Shadow
Wolf,
Please let me know when you build this, I would rather buy one than build one.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Hey folks,
Now you all have MY attention and I will strongly consider scheduling this as a production item. I will keep you updated as to the progress. You never know when a thread will get locked so it may be to your best interest to email me. I will throw your name into my "of interest" folder. No commitments on your part, just an easy way to keep track of potential clients. If anybody else reading this thread wants to be on the list, just email me. I would like to state upfront that this item will not be cheap, but a lot less than Attorney fees due to a failed prop! Smile
Thanks for your interest guys!
Chance Wolf
magician@wolfsmagic.com

Mr. Bunkley
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bunkley
Hello,

While I do have to admit to being interested in just about anything produced by Mr. Wolf....I've got to agree with the poster who said that he's never thought the chair suspension to be too "amazing".

Now before I start getting flamed from magicians saying: "You've never seen mine. . . it's a fooler", it's got nothing to do with the magician. It's just the whole idea of a board resting on a chair. It just isn't that far fetched to assume that it's some kind of gimmicked chair or board/chair combo. It hits me the same way that the dancing cane does. The most obvious solution is actually THE solution. Although I'll give the dancing cane an edge because at least there is the eye candy of a real artist performing it....which seems to satisfy whether you know for sure the secret or not. The chair suspension doesn't have that kind of eye candy going for it....so it's a big puzzle (at best).

Now to find out that it is a structural nightmare kind of puzzle. Ha!!! I actually find that to be more of a surprise than the actual effect (I'm not the most mechanical guy in the world. . . so it's easy for me to believe that a board could be positioned on some kind of chair so that it supports a person).

Actually, the more I think about it. I think that's probably my whole point. The more you know about engineering... the more amazed you might be about the "magical qualities" of the effect. But if you are just a typical layman and NOT an engineer, it doesn't appear to be that big of a deal.

Does anyone else agree with this point?

Just my view. thanks.

Daniel
dbull@austin.rr.com
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Daniel,
Of all people, I agree. That is why I plan to give this some serious thought. As with most of my "recreations", I hope to find a "hook" that will take this effect to the next level and hopefully eliminate the obvious. It has been posted that another version allows the 2nd chair to be removed! See, now that is cool, but it has been done. This is a tough situation and I hope to find the answer to alleviate the inherent problems involved as well as add some more magic.
Wish me luck!
Chance

brownbeauty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of brownbeauty
The version that allows both chairs to be removed is being presented now by Rick Thomas in Las Vegas. It basically is a Blaney ladder levitation only chairs are substituded for the ladders. I believe his version was built by "Splashes" in L.V. Owen Magic Supreme makes a similar version (beautifully built!)I have the Owen version for sale now (in case anyone is interested)
My presentation is built around a hypnosis theme. I don't want people walking away asking how the spectator floated, instead I want them to ask themselves if it is possible that the mentalist/hypnotist could actually have balanced her! (I actually got the idea from David Berglas) In some spectators minds, I hope they think what I have done is possible. Were I to float the spectator with no visible means of support I then become a magician. Not the effect I am going for. That's why for me the Harbin chair suspension is the perfect prop!

Rudy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » levitation plans? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL