The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Where to get doves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

streetmagician_08
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of streetmagician_08
Hi,

My name is Thayne and I'm interested in obtaining doves next month but have no local breeders. Does anyone know of a reliable source that will ship white Java doves?
Thanks, Smile

P.S. I live in West Virginia so preferably a breeder who lives relatively close
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Hi Thayne, have you checked the American Dove Association like I mentioned in the PM you sent me? Finding tame doves might be a problem unless you deal directly with a magician. The best way to do Dove magic is to get young birds and train them yourself. That way they get used to you and you can see how they react. Every bird is different and that's part of the fun of doing dove magic. As I told you, I am looking for a breeded in your area, in fact there used to be a magician in West Virginia that sold doves. I haven't heard from him in awhile but will let you know if I do.
Where the magic begins
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Dave,

You are right about each bird's ability and personality. Reminds me of Shimada's lecture video on Doves. A specific dove is used in each production and have done so for years. Some of his birds have had a career in his act for over 10 years doing the same thing.
Discovering their strengths and place within the act took time.

Randy Stewart
streetmagician_08
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of streetmagician_08
Thanks guys for the wonderful information. Where can I find the American Dove Association website to contact Dove Breeders or magicians who might have breeding doves

Thanks

Thayne
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Thayne,

The Doveline American Dove Association is at:
http://www.doveline.com/

Dave may have other links soon.

Always looking forward to your posts,

Randy Stewart
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Thayne,

While dove magic is not my thing, I am owned by a 20 month old Umbrella Cockaoo parrot that has raised me since he was 4 months old.

As the other posts are suggesting, these animals deserve to be raised and treated with warmth and kindness. If you do so, they will respond and reward you in more ways than you can imagine-and their training will probably go a whole lot smoother and faster.

In this regard, if at all possible, I would ask you to consider personally picking up the birds and transporting them back to your home. Confined spaces in a strange environment (bus cargo or plane cargo) for long periods of time (plus lots of strange sounds and teperature changes) can have a severly traumatizing effect on the little guys.

I'm not a member of PETA (far from it). Sometimes, when my parrot is excercising his strong mind and strong will, I wonder what my parrot would look like grilled on a BBQ spit? (grin). Seriously, my bird vet has told me I have the gentlest and friendliest bird she has ever seen.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Turk, cute way of describing the relationship between bird and owner. You've hit it right on the head, though. As I've mentioned several times in this forum, I have over 18 doves so being owned by them is putting it mildly.

You are correct about keeping the birds confined for long periods of time during transit, however, at the present time, the U.S. post office is a reasonable, inexpensive way to ship doves. They guarantee overnight service. I have shipped many birds to magicians this way and they have always been safe, comfortable and protected. They do take an interest in live animal shipments. I had one shipment that got lost and they worked around the clock to locate it and get it delivered safely. It took one extra day to do this. I'm not a postal employee so I'm not pushing the post office but when it comes to live animals, they do a great job.

I'm still careful, though, about what the weather is like when I ship. I won't ship in extreme heat. Just can't see putting birds inside a small cardboard box and sealing it up when the temps are 90 or so. I wouldn't want to be in a "closet" under those conditions.
Where the magic begins
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
Does anyone know any U.K. dove suppliers?
I've been to the 'Dove Line' website and find no U.K. suppliers.

Please help! Smile
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Tom: I know there is a dove association in the UK. I'll find the link for you today. In the meantime, here's a couple of links that while not breeders, should be able to help you find one since they work with doves in their businesses in the UK.

Click Here!

Click Here!
Where the magic begins
Jim Davis
View Profile
Special user
What is....? Utah
945 Posts

Profile of Jim Davis
Quote:
On 2003-02-08 23:11, Turk wrote:
While dove magic is not my thing, I am owned by a 20 month old Umbrella Cockatoo parrot that has raised me since he was 4 months old.

:rotf: That is so true. Try feeding a Pelican. Once the bird gets used to you, it wants to "hang out." I must admit that I terribly miss the thing.
Diamond Jim Davis "The Cardslinger" ~~~ Magic from the '80's....................the 1880's!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Don't just be a magician, be a human interest!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>[url]www.periodplayers.com[/ur
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Geez Jim. What the heck are you doing with a pelican in Utah? Target practice??? Smile Smile Smile Smile

Tom: As I promised, here is a web site in the UK for doves. If he doesn't have any available, he can direct you to other breeders I'm sure.

http://www.rupert-fish.co.uk
Where the magic begins
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Jim Davis and Dave Scribner:

It's obvious that Jim was using his pelican as an organic change bag and as a production prop.

It is interesting to speculate if Jim also used the pelican as a suitcase for his props and he just walked onto the stage with the pelican waddling behind him, then opens the pelican's bill and "sets up". Think of the possibilities and advantages-no need to use a hoaky stand and performance surface, great stability-and it would sure keep an audience member from trying to reach in and handle your props!!

Later,

Turk

Eschew obfuscation.
mforteath
View Profile
New user
Tasmania, Australia
62 Posts

Profile of mforteath
If anyone is after doves in Australia, then Birds International in South Australia have them, and will ship them aroud Oz for you.
Mark.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Dave,

I forgot to ask a very SERIOUS question in my last (joking) reply.

Maybe it's my private phobia and fear about being buried alive, but I can't imagine shipping a bird cooped up (no pun intended) in a small box even for so brief a period as "overnight". How do you keep the bird(s) from becoming terrorized by the experience of limited movement, strange loud sounds, strange movements (jet acceleration and take-off), etc.

Also, how do you provide for food and water and, how do I delicately phrase this, allowing the bird to do its #1s and #2s?

How do you know the birds are not traumatized by this experience?

My questions are not intended as criticism. I am thinking about taking an airline trip and I am truly undecided about the ethics and morality of subjecting my umbrella cockatoo to an airplane ride-especially if the airlines will not allow him to travel with me in the passenger compartment. Is it fair to him? Is there a sedative that can be given to him prior to the trip that would keep him calm and in "la-la" land?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Turk

Eschew obfuscation.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Hello Turk, I can't answer all of your questions but I'll tell you what I know. The box I ship them in isn't really a tiny box. Most of the people who have purchased birds from me, buy two at a time. For 2 birds, the box is about 24" x 24" x 12".

I put a good layer of wood chips on the bottom. I get two small plastic feeder cups and fill one with seed and the other with water and tape them to the side of the box. I also put 2 or 3 millet strips in the box. They love millet.

Now here's the trick with the water. I either put a piece of sponge or a wad of papertowel in the water. Obviously the water spills during transit, but the sponge or towel retains enough water for them to peck at for moisture overnight. If the seed spills, it's not a problem, they just peck at it on the bottom of the box.

Remember, this is overnight delivery so there's no danger of lack of food or water. I poke many holes in the box for ventilation and write "Live Birds" on all sides of it. The post office really takes care with these packages. As I mentioned before, I won't ship the birds if the temperature is unbearably hot. They are hardy animals but I don't feel comfortable keeping them boxed up in the heat.

As for the birds doing their business, it has never been a problem. When you put doves in the dark, they settle down. It is a traumatic experience for them, and they eat and drink less. Therefore, less business. The wood chips do a good job of absorbing whatever they do.

Noise is not a problem. My birds, even the ones I don't use in my act, are very used to noise. I have my stereo running most of the time in my bird room which is also where I practice. When I'm home, I turn up the volume so they get used to a theater atmosphere. I bring them up from my basement often to get used to other noises.

Quite a few of the Café members have purchased doves from me and I'm sure they can verify that the birds are in perfect condition when they arrive. It just takes them a day or two to get acquainted with their new surroundings.

As for your question about transporting your bird on an airplane, I can't give you specifics on that as I have never travelled with my birds. I do know however, that each airline has specific rules and regulations and you must fill out a series of forms. I believe there are some health questionaires and permits you must have. Best to check with the airline well in advance.

Sorry I can't help you there. Hope this helps you a little anyway. Feel free to ask if you have more questions.
Where the magic begins
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Doves are used in many weddings. Try looking in the Yellow Pages under the headings "Wedding Supplies and Services", and "Wedding Consultants". Someone may know of a local place.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Good tip, Mike. One of the links I listed above provides that service in the UK. There are others within the US and if not listed in the yellow pages, they are on the web.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Where to get doves (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL