The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Cups and Balls, Bill Palmer and the museum (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Anyone who knows Bill Palmer from around the forum, knows he is a great authority on the cups and balls. He is also a great positive influence here on the forum. Recently, he spoke with us about his collection, the history of the cups, different types of cups and best of all, some stories about when he knew Dai Vernon and Tommy Wonder.

We spoke mostly about the cups and balls, as he has an 800+ cup collection and has created the Cups and Balls Museum.

Here's the link:

http://www.reelsinmotion.tv/magiclantern014

Enjoy!

Scott
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Thanks for the kind words, Scott. I'm no authority or expert. But I have a LOT of cups. I appreciate the opportunity to talk about the cups. Anyone who wants to contact me about cups and balls, paddles, mentalism or nailwriters, drop me a PM!

458!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Bill, I think you are an authority.
You know what is what and when they
were made and so forth...

You knew what type my dad's were...

btw...He has my dad's cups in his museum now...
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I sure do! And it was great to see Louie and Arlene again, after all these years, and to see Frances (AKA Marshall Thornside) live and in person!

The August issue of MUM has an article about the Museum, as well.

Posted: Sep 1, 2007 7:40pm
Here is an update on the museum. Last week in Berlin, I presented my lecture on the history of the cups used in the cups and balls to the Second European Magic Historians and Collectors Conference. I was one of two Americans who spoke before this august body. The other was Bill Kalush.

The lecture went well and was well received. It has a 70 slide power point presentation that accompanies it. Some of these slides are actually what you might call "sub-slides," because they are set up in such a way that there is animation when you run the presentation. That is, lines add themselves to the existing matrix. There are other ways to do this than multiple slides, but this worked well for me and was easy to do.

Dr. Steffan Taut also presented some material that meshed with this. He had a photo of a drawing of the whole wall of tomb 15 at Beni Hasan, which has the controversial painting of the bogus cups and balls workers. Taken in context of the rest of that wall, there is NO doubt that these fellows are not doing the cups and balls. His lecture also concerned the Westcar Papyrus, which we got to see later that afternoon in the Egyptian Museum in Berlin.

Some magic historians thought the Westcar Papyrus had been lost. Evidently, it was in the GDR.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1545 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Well, that explains where you were!

458...huh,huh...I get it...
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Glad someone finally straightened out the story of the Tomb Painting... Milbourne Christopher really screwed up history with his interpretation. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Thank you, Bill, for the updates. That must have been a great presentation. Congratulations on a well received presentation.

Scott
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1545 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Scott...just a quick note to say I loved the interview with Bill. I've heard many of those stories first hand from him, but they never grow tiresome! I'm loading the Eric Decamps interview as we speak!!

Good stuff!

Bill, I'll be seeing you in October, right?

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-09-02 01:57, Pete Biro wrote:
Glad someone finally straightened out the story of the Tomb Painting... Milbourne Christopher really screwed up history with his interpretation. Smile

Actually, Christopher had help. Percy Newberry, who presented the paintings of the whole tomb in one of his books about Beni Hasan, referred to these fellows as playing at "thimble-ring." Obviously, he meant "thimble-rig." But Newberry had forgotten some of the most important points of Egyptian painting. In Egyptian painting, EVERYTHING that is necessary for the painting to make sense has to be there. There is no ball or pea under the cups. So, it doesn't make any sense in that context.

S.W. Clarke put a drawing of the painting in The Annals of Conjuring and labeled it "Egyptian Cups and Balls Workers." He made a leap of faith that Milbourne Christopher picked up and ran with.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
"Not an authority or expert"!? What? Bill, you're far too modest! This guy "knows all and sees all".

By the way...that set of cups you got from me for the Museum look fantastic on the site!

Steve Thomas
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2007-09-13 15:44, Stevethomas wrote:
"Not an authority or expert"!? What? Bill, you're far too modest! This guy "knows all and sees all".

Steve Thomas

I agree with you fully. Bill is far too modest and he knows a lot but do not admit. He is a GREAT GUY!
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
It was really fun listening to Bills voice, love the Texas accent!
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Cups and Balls, Bill Palmer and the museum (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL