The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Visual magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:
P.S.

I forgot to mention the Professor's Nightmare, my YOYO (really a juggling bit, not magic) and, Fresh Fish Sold Here Today. The Lazy Magician, and the Paper Tear to Hat were used to help pad the 45 minute assembly show, for occasional evening 60 minute family shows.

I did the Mardo/Sterling Egg Bag, but, don't consider it a visual, because the egg disappears from inside the bag. I did paper balls over the kid's head, and, a brief sponge ball routine, in high schools, in place of the egg bag.

Oh! the G.W. Hunter shoelace knot, was part of the rope routine!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I'll retype the final two paragraphs of my reply to Ed Rhodes' post above.

The EFFECT is what the spectator(s) perceive.

The spectator(s) experience, intelligence, and imagination, are all combined to create his/her/their perception.

Therefore, everyone in the audience perceives a different show.
Doc Svengali
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Doc Svengali
I would agree with Dick and Pop on the definition of visual magic: The magic seems to occur in plain sight, in full view of the audience, without cover. The change seems to be instantaneous and visible. However, there are degrees of "visualness" of the magic. Some effects are almost always considered visual, such as the linking rings, even though there is considerable variation in how apparently "in plain sight" the penetrations are. Sometimes the spectators are aware that the magician's hands block their view of what is happening. At other times, the linking and unlinking (or penetrations) appears to be visible in plain view without cover - examples of linking and unlinking "in plain sight" include Capehart's Impossible Link, the Blocked Link, the Ninja link, Vernon's and Miller's Pull Through, the Triple Unlink featured by Ross, McBride, Capehart and Levent, the Laurant crash link, various forms of toss linking, and the classic crash link of Vernon and Miller. Because the magic is seen to happen before their eyes, these elements are especially powerful and convincing magic, which tends to explode the viewers hypotheses about how it is done.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
They also claim that all magic happens in the mind and so then when visual magic appears to be visible in plain view without cover, is it happening in an open mind as opposed to a closed mind?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Thanks! Doc Svengali!

I would like to re-stress the point that everyone in the audience perceives, according to their own imagination, intelligence, and, experience. Therefore, everyone's perception will vary.

Two witnesses in a court room will describe the "incident" from different view points, although they were standing side by side, when the event happened.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Visual magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL