The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Visible lock by Mighells Illusions (hope its in the right place?) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Visible lock by Mighells Illusions.

First off a small ‘confession’, I was sent this item as a gift to try it out. I have not paid for it, but I will not be profiting from the sale of it so have no reason to advertise this or recommend it for gain on my behalf. I will be reviewing this honestly and openly and if you want to ask anything then I will certainly answer where I can.

What is it?

What Clyde says:-
“The Visible Lock is a learning tool for those who wish to learn to pick locks. The student can see the pins move so that they learn to associate the feel with the correct positioning of the pins. The pins can be re-arranged so that it is like picking a different lock! Comes with instructions and all needed items."

What I say:-
"Does exactly as it says on the tin". Clyde's description is accurate and concise. I can’t add anything really except to re-enforce that it is a lock that has been cut away so that you can see the workings. This is used as an aid to picking the lock open. If you don't know how to pick a lock or own any picks you can still get started with this kit as it has EVERYTHING you need to pick the lock (well except fingers, hands, eyes and a central nervous system….. I guess the assumption is that you will have these as most people do).

What you get:

A cut away lock cylinder from a master padlock.
Keys for the lock (only work when lock in initial configuration)
Pick and torsion wrench
“device” for changing the pin configuration.
Instructions (covering how to pick the lock and change the pin configuration).

How much?

$12.95 from http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrpp......torclyde and other places as well.

What does it do / what is its aim?

It is designed to help train you to pick pin tumbler locks. This is not a new idea in itself; I have seen them advertised in other places. But what Clyde has done is to add another dimension - you can change the pins to make it harder / easier and give you more practice. As there are 4 pins there are 24 different possible combinations (I think, if my maths holds up – and there are 4 different pin lengths). I have not seen a lock that you can change the pins on. I think this is a great idea and it really does add another dimension to the product.

It is worth noting that the price of this item is very reasonable (compared to other cut away locks that I have seen).

How does it meet its needs / expectations?

Well the instructions are clear and well written (for an American Smile only joking Clyde) I certainly found them easy to use. Clyde’s instructions for picking are as good as any I have read and are to the point. The instructions for changing the pins also seem quite adequate and his “device” for changing the pins is useful, does the job and really simple. Its one of those secrets in magic that you think OH It is so obvious, well at least now that you have seen it. But that should not stop you condiering purchasing it.

What about the apparatus:

The lock is clean and easy to use. I have really enjoyed “playing” with it.
The pick and tension wrench are produced by Clyde and do the job well. However the pick is thin and hard and after 30 minute of picking your finger may get sore where it is resting on your finger. But that will happen with any thin pick with no handle. One could always modify the pick for comfort – or use a slip on handle (see the cannons web site).

Changing the pins is simple and easy with the supplied “device” however on my first attempt I made a right hash up of it. But it was an easy task to re-build the lock and Clyde covers that in the instructions as well just in case it is no really obvious to you.

In practice:

I was able to pick the lock within minutes of trying. The visible lock made the task easy and was a great visual aid to learning how to pick locks.

I was confident enough to move on to a regular padlock within an hour and to my surprise I picked the lock really quickly. I would say that it is a lock I have been able to rake before but failed to pick. So I felt that the visible lock had done its job well!

I soon moved on to changing round the pins to have a bit of variation and again found this very useful to do and made the lock a new challenge without having to go and get another lock.

I have also covered the “visible” part so that it acts as a normal lock that you can’t see. This just adds to the versatility of the lock and usefulness of the product.

Are there any bad points?

Well I always think that a review should be honest and accurate. Having said that it is still only one persons opinion and we are all allowed to disagree.

I wanted to give balance so I thought about the negative aspects carefully:

I struggled to think of any down sides. All I can think of at the moment is the size. It is very small and I don’t know how this will compare with other cut away locks. It was a little fiddly to hold and manipulate initially but it soon became really easy.

In some configurations the pins are almost in line and it is almost too easy to pick. But the re-arranging of the pins stops this from being the case if it is too easy. So that is really not a complaint at all –and this will be out of Clyde’s control as he will be using the pins that came with the lock in the first place.

The only other thing is the my finger hurt after holding the pick for a long time. But may be I should not be such a big girl’s blouse? Or have a break? Or use a cover for the pick.

All in all a really good teaching tool that is very useful and really well priced! Even if you buy direct from Clyde and ship it to the UK, the cost is not much!

I would give this 10/10 for design and usefulness.

All in all a really nice job well done Clyde!
dmm
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of dmm
Nice review! Thanks
fbnc
View Profile
Loyal user
Memphis
227 Posts

Profile of fbnc
Great reveiw,this sounds like an ideal training tool.
Doc Allgood
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
156 Posts

Profile of Doc Allgood
Where would one purchase this item retail?

I've been thinking about getting one of them there shrew fiddles, as well.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
This is clydes web catalogue:

http://www.mighellsillusions.com

He supplies to various places - not sure if he sells direct (i think he does) but he will let you know who he suplies to.

Dave
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Sorry or the link in the review goes direct to his ebay store.
darkdean
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of darkdean
Thank you for the review this sounds like a great item to practice with

Dean
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Visible lock by Mighells Illusions (hope its in the right place?) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL