The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Armando Lucero is finally doing it! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dan Magyari
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco, CA
173 Posts

Profile of Dan Magyari
I was fortunate enough to witness Armando perform last weekend at "The Gathering". He was one of several high level performer/lecturers featured.

In my opinion, this discussion of Mr. Lucero's performance piece "Coin Menagerie" is on the wrong track. Each of the performers during the weekend did a fine job with their work, and don't get me wrong Mr. Lucero's "Coin Menagerie" is a beautiful piece of work, BUT the difference, last weekend, was Armando.

When Armando performed, magic really happened. He could have performed anything - what he brings to magic is his own experiences and struggles to make those effects that he performs "real magic". And, I think that is what we all attempt to do - the difference is that Armando succeeds in a most magical way.

In my humble opinion, the real value one could hope to obtain in attending Armando's workshop on his piece "Coin Menagerie" is how can you apply those same principles that he applies to Coin Menagerie to the work that you already do or intend on doing in the future.

In this case, it is not about the trick - it is about Armando Lucero.
Everything you do -- everything -- has your signature on it. Regardless of whether you intend it that way or not. And that's how people perceive you.-George Ledo
chrisis1
View Profile
New user
Amsterdam
70 Posts

Profile of chrisis1
That's true, the techniques he is using are nothing new, it is his performance style that makes it work.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
CW, the routine builds as the props are whittled down to just one coin which travels from under one card to under the other under seemingly impossible conditions - a sort of refinement of an effect down to its atomic level which thanks to the mode of presentation is found satisfying. Smile

How's that for a review without tipping?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On 2007-08-21 15:39, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
CW, the routine builds as the props are whittled down to just one coin which travels from under one card to under the other under seemingly impossible conditions - a sort of refinement of an effect down to its atomic level which thanks to the mode of presentation is found satisfying. Smile

How's that for a review without tipping?

Oh,the old Bertram-Tenkai-Slydini-Hofzinser routine! I used to do that one myself, back in high school .....

So the distinguishing elements are plotting and presentation? It might not be entirely unfair to say that sometimes some coin workers may tend to lose sight of those elements, so if that's what A.L is offering, good for him. (I'm sure he'll be thrilled to learn I approve.)

Actually I can think of a couple of non coin guys who would benefit from a workshop on those subjects ... but that's a different thread ....
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Don't you think that the price is too much? I hope he puts out a performance only DVD with some of his effects so we could experience his magic.
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
I have the video for the Lucero effect, and I will admit, as nice as it is, it isn't the best. Dean Dill's 'Explosion' routine is the best I have seen. The finish to Explosion is incredibly Magical, but it is the rest of his Matrix routine which makes it what it is. Though Lucero's routine is really nice, and greatly constructed in my opinion, it is NOT the best; great, but not the best.
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Quote:
On 2007-10-15 10:06, Christopher Williams wrote:
I have the video for the Lucero effect, and I will admit, as nice as it is, it isn't the best.

May I know where I could purchase one? Or, is it not for sale?
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
Yeah, it's $2,500 to attend the lecture.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
He was asking to purchase the performance video.

Guys, I will just offer this out there. A video performance will not be the same as a live performance. IF you REALLY want to experience the effect, WAIT until you ca see it done live by Armondo.

IT is the same as the Goshman routine. Live completely trumps video. It is no where near the same. I also concur that it is Armondo and his performance, as well as the technique that makes this so special. That is what he is trying to convey to those who are willing enough to learn at his workshop. Obviously you will not be Armondo once you complete the workshop, nor should you want to be, but you will have a firm foundation of the principles and methods as well as the practice so you can continue to grow.

As to whether or not it is the best, that is a matter of personal taste. Some like clean and minimalist more than big and flashy. I just know how the audience reacts when he performs it and how I felt when I first saw it. I have been lucky to see it live about 10 times and it is a work of art.
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
As far as I know it's not for sell. Isn't this the performance that was floating on youtube awhile ago?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Armando Lucero is finally doing it! (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL