The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Really Stupid Newb question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cryozombie
View Profile
New user
Chicago
13 Posts

Profile of Cryozombie
Since I am new to magic, I have seen quite a few things done, and can do some simple stuff, but I see the names of certain things/tricks etc a lot that I really am unfamiliar with, and I was hoping to be able to post asking what these are... Please note I am NOT asking how tricks are done with them or for any secrets, just WHAT they are, like what kinds of tricks are done with them...

For example, I don't do any card magic, so I don't know any terms for the stuff with them, what is an Invisible Deck?

Also, what are "Chop Cups?"

I know more about things like PK rings, shims, coin rolling, expanded shells, etc... but not so much most of the other props... anyone want to throw a newbie a bone and explain? Thanks.
"Magicians that teach secret knots, misdirection and escape artistry are teaching elements of
ninpo." -From a Genbukan Message Board
Tablic
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Tablic
Invisible deck I'm not sure how well I can describe without giving it away, but the best I can say is that it allows you to find their card reversed in a deck

Chop cup, there's a topic right in this section that describes what it is, along with the Cups and balls... and the topic itself is called 'cups and balls'

anything else, I'll see what I can do, since I have a somewhat limited knowledge as well
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Welcome to the Café.

I can only recommend you to start with Mark Wilsons book in magic - this will answer a lot (please use the search function to find more about it).
Cards never lie
Cryozombie
View Profile
New user
Chicago
13 Posts

Profile of Cryozombie
Quote:
I can only recommend you to start with Mark Wilsons book in magic -

Excellent! I was looking at books and dvds on general magic (most of what I have so far is specific) but there is so much out there it's hard to know where to start... and this seems like a good choice! Thank you sir.
"Magicians that teach secret knots, misdirection and escape artistry are teaching elements of
Tablic
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Tablic
Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic is a beautiful thing. For only about $20 you're given a goldmine of information

plus there are plenty of other threads in various sections that can help you out, and those are usually threads that have been pinned so they're at the top of the various topic lists in the sections. You should have no problem if you go looking
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
560 Posts

Profile of pradell
For information about all types of decks, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svengali_deck

For chop cup information:

http://magicref.tripod.com/magref/artchop.htm

:magicrabbit:
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
You can find Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic at Mark and Nani Wilson's site http://www.markwilsonmagic.com 20 bucks plus shipping and if you include a note Mark , who was voted in Magic Magazine one of the 10 most influential magicians of the 20th Century will be happy to autograph it for you. (believe me it will be a keepsake you one day will be proud of). Other basic books, for Cards: Royal Road to Card Magic, for Coins: J. B. Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. Videos, a lot of Micaael Ammar's videos are great for beginners. If you ever get to browse a brick and mortar magic store you will soon learn what most of these "standard" tricks and gaffs are. Look at the websites for the International Brotherhood of Magicians and the Society of American Magicians and see if they have a Ring or Assembly near you, visiting one of those and joining will get you a big leg up on learning magic.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Cryozombie
View Profile
New user
Chicago
13 Posts

Profile of Cryozombie
Wow, IBM does have a group that meets like 1/2 hour from where I live... thanks photius!

And thanks to everyone else for the great information! I think I get the idea what a Chop Cup is now, yay, and I'm really appreciative of this site.
Dizzy
View Profile
Elite user
UK
437 Posts

Profile of Dizzy
If I come across something new, I tend to search it on the Café then the internet. Sometimes magic dealers have demo videos. Penguinmagic.com is a great one for watching tricks on.

Anyway, welcome to the wonderful world of magic. I'm sure you are going to have lots of fun and many good times a head of you,

Diane
Lester
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland. U.K
193 Posts

Profile of Lester
I'd just like to add my welcome to you. You'll find that the Café, whatever your level of magical knowledge and proficiency, is a really friendly and helpful place to be. Many welcomes to you!.

Also, I would just like to echo everyone elses wholehearted praise for the Mark Wilson Course. Go for the complete work rather than the abridged, pocket sized, cyclopaedia. You will find that for the comparitively small outlay involved you will be rewarded with a wealth of magic. The Course will take you from basics through to building your own illusions. It will also, for example, give you precise measurements etc. for building your own magic tables etc. which will alone save you a small fortune. Welcome to magic. Enjoy.

Lester
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
I don't think you'll find either the chop cup or the invisible deck in Mark Wilson. However, searching here (and/or google and/or youtube) will give you what you want to know. You may also accidentally stumble across the methods.
Jolyon Jenkins
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
You might want to go ahead and buy an invisible deck. They are only $6 - $8. It's one of the best investments I've ever made. I use it all the time and it really FLOORS people.

Jim
AngeloR
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of AngeloR
Welcome to the Forum and to the art of Magic! Wilson's book is exactly what you are looking for. A little later, if you get into sleight of hand card magic, you might want to consider the Card College books by Giobbi. However, for now they can wait.

As mentioned by the folks above, Wilson and Royal Road to Card Magic (available as a Dover publication) are your best bets.

Enjoy!
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Quote:
On 2007-07-17 18:18, jimhlou wrote:
You might want to go ahead and buy an invisible deck. They are only $6 - $8. It's one of the best investments I've ever made. I use it all the time and it really FLOORS people.

Jim

Definitely! Buy one, learn it, and get the presentation down. It's the perfect effect, and also the perfect "out" should you mess up a card trick! Smile
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Hi and welcome to the Café'. Just wanted to add that tricks like the Invisible Deck and the Chop Cup are specific inventions that are sold by magic dealers.

To learn more about these types of tricks, you can go to any large dealer website, such as Hank Lee's Magic Factory (click HERE) or Denny & Lee's (click HERE) and use their "search" function. Hank Lee will send you a catalog the size of a telephone book for about $20, and it can be a good reference. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Justin Impossible
View Profile
Veteran user
Distant Land Of Shmooo
328 Posts

Profile of Justin Impossible
Chops Cups are my friend!
Peace
J
Justin Impossible
www.justinimpossible.com
www.facebook.com/magicianjustinimpossible

A pretty assistant is the most effective form of misdirection.
JeremyM0411
View Profile
Special user
Moody, Alabama
608 Posts

Profile of JeremyM0411
Chop cups are awesome. The ending of the effect is what killer them.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Just visit a magic dealer and you will get a lot of information and support.
Cards never lie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Really Stupid Newb question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL