The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Ability to view on mobile devices (WAP) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

semo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Jose, CA
300 Posts

Profile of semo
Steve,

Have you considered adding a format to the Café to allow easy viewing from a cell phone or mobile device like a Treo or Blackberry? When I'm away from home, I like to check on some posts. Ron Jaxon posted a work around a while back where you have to search google to get the site WAP enabled. But I think there are ways that you can do this directly and have it detect whether or not it is a WAP enabled device. Given the popularity of these devices, it may be worth taking a look. Any plans on doing this?

Thanks for your consideration.
Scott Emo, co-creator of Fenced In Illusion - There's nothing better than breaking free!

And creator of Sacred - The Child Conjuring Illusion - Because there is nothing more magical than the creation of a child.

Find them at: http://www.masterofillusions.ca/
semo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Jose, CA
300 Posts

Profile of semo
By the way, if anyone is reading this and would like to view the Café on a mobile device, it may be good if you could post here real quick so we can see if enough people want it to make it worth the effort for Steve.

I'm raising my hand...that's one.
Scott Emo, co-creator of Fenced In Illusion - There's nothing better than breaking free!

And creator of Sacred - The Child Conjuring Illusion - Because there is nothing more magical than the creation of a child.

Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Two
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Blair Morris
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of Blair Morris
Three
Jaz2005
View Profile
Veteran user
I wish I had time to get more than
339 Posts

Profile of Jaz2005
Hi guys,

I have logged onto the Café and posted from my cell phone without problem. I have it saved in my cell bookmarks WAP and do not have a problem. Is that a UK thing????
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I can log in too. It just takes forever as each and every graphic and ad loads. If it's set up for WAP, the messages and forum titles become a stripped down page of links without all the rest of the stuff. Very easy to navigate, even on a 2 inch screen.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
semo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Jose, CA
300 Posts

Profile of semo
Mine is the same way as Dave's. In fact, there is so much content that tries to load on one page that I run out of memory before it loads all the way. I tried the Google method that Ron Jaxon suggested in a post and that does not seem to do the trick either.

So I wonder if in the UK, the servers there break up the content for you (WAP vs. non-WAP).

Maybe the webmaster can help answer this.

cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Devices outside the US generally have more memory and better (faster, more reliable) network infrastructure than we have in the US, so I'm not surprised it works well over there and not so well here.

Curt
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
This is kind of interesting. But I'm not sure if this is phpBB forum or not.

http://jra.nu/Jan-Soft/phpbb-wap.htm

I've also seen things that are basically fake WAP. I can't find it at the moment but I'll keep looking. You add a file to the forum directory. When a WAP browser enters the INDEX page the program recognizes the WAP browser and displays the pages in such a way that a WAP browser can display. I think this is a similar thing that google does when you enter through google with a wap browser.

Sorry I don't know all the technical terms but I do remember reading about such a thing. If my memory is right it's only a single file that needs to be added to the forums main folder.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1920 Posts

Profile of DT3
I check and post on the Café all the time with my Treo.

It does take a little time to load, but on the Treo browser one can choose to load only text and not images which speeds things up quite a bit.

D.
jgoldsney
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of jgoldsney
Sorry to resurect an old post but have been trying to surf the Café on my blackberry and it is almost painful. What looks beautiful on a 19" monitor is choppy and hard to read. A mobile version would be wonderful...

Joel
-----------------------

There are 10 types of people in the world...Those who understand Binary and those who don't Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Ability to view on mobile devices (WAP) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL