The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Subtitute trick for emergencies (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
608 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
A few minutes before my school show this morning, I learned from the teachers that they will include Grades 4,5 and 6 in the audience. I was prepared to do a show for younger kids (pre-school to Grade 3), my props and puppets were all for this age group. So I thought I'd better add at least one act for the older kids!

I thought of the newspaper tear.

My most favorite of all versions, and the one I've been using regularly, is the Baxt Better Newspaper tear. But I didn't have my Baxt gimmick with me. So I figured I'd try Bauer's trade show newspaper tear, which I knew luckily how to do. I made the gimmick in about two minutes--right there inside the Principal's office, using the school's official magazine.

I did it in the show and got great response! It really pays to know "substitute" tricks in case of emergencies like this.

Has any of you experienced this?
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You mean showing up and the wrong age group was there than you were told to expect? Heck yes. Worse for me was I was hired to do 'a birthday party, everyone would be the same age'. When I asked how old the birthday boy would be she laughed and said 'he acts every bit of seven'. I show up, it is the 50th birthday party for a biker and the daughter hired me thinking it would be funny as heck to have a kids birthday magician for a bunch of bikers. Let me tell you, I got some freaky request for balloons afterward. They show actually went over big cuz everyone was drunk.
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
History has shown the well rounded magician can adapt to any situation and this trait can transform an average magician into a great magician. Good job!
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
While never as extreme as MS, it happens all the time in the BD biz... That is one reasons I like props that can work for all, or at least large age groups. I also come loaded for bear when it comes to routines. I have had several times where I do a party for a group of kids and the following week I do a party for pretty much the same group of kids. The parents never knew that the other party had hired me too. Kids like a certain amount of repetition, but . . .

I am curious what your props were that wouldn't work for a older crowd?
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
I have pulled out Sammy Smith's "What's Your Job?" several times as I don't perform it, but routinely carry everywhere (packs flat - a flip book and envelope)to fill in for the trick which invariably fails as I've forgotten a prop, etc.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I used the props for kids shows and just changed the presentation. As a tip I got a CD of the birthday boys favorite songs, mostly the Greatful Dead.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I had 2 workshops on comedy/drama scheduled with 2 different teachers.(who happened to be "Mom and Daughter". Got the one booking and then wallah it multiplied into 2. My notes mixed up the 6th grade day with the 2nd and 3rd grade.

Presentation and Props were changed at the site. Re: Grateful Dead...I remember listening to them in the 70's. These days I listen to more Gospel Music.

Songs, effects and style can be easily changed. I do a lot of improv with props at the venue/site. This training has come in handy many times in these situations.

It is very interesting in the wide range of music that kids listen to these days.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Anand Rao
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Anand Rao
I've found a deck of cards is all the emergency kit I need.

But like MagicSanta I've tried to design my birthday show so that all the tricks play for all ages with just a few changes to the presentation. For example, I do a silk vanish that for the young kids I talk about the color of the hankie, etc. But for the older kids I do a sucker explanation of how a magician does his tricks.
Also if you can do several routines with the same props you don't need to carry so much stuff!
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
If the age turns out to be older, I replace coloringbook, crystal tube, and runrabbitrun with linkingrings, vanishingbandanna, and card-to-envelope. What can REALLY gum up the works is if there's a cross-section of ages. Unless there are at least twice as many older kids, I ususally aim low, and hope the older kids come along for the ride.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I always carry "What's Next" with me as an extra. I also always have some extra rope for PN and C&R for an emergency.

Regan
Mister Mystery
TedLashley
View Profile
Regular user
El Campo, TX
197 Posts

Profile of TedLashley
Like Regan, I, too, always have extra rope for a C&R routine, and usually keep "What's Next" in my case. I make a habit of carrying my PN ropes with me at all times. For younger kids, I usually use "Spotty" and "Instant Art" for emergencies. Another effect I've often used to lengthen the show if needed is the "McCombical Prediction."

All of these effects, except for the two children's effects, can be routined for either kids or adults.

TED
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Flight of the paper balls is a great all ages effect. I've used this to good effect with an older group.

Smartini

ps. Would I be dating myself to say that I learned this from attending a Slydini lecture?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Subtitute trick for emergencies (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL