The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Black Tiger Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
Quote:
On 2008-11-27 03:48, Tim Jahn wrote:
See here we get into this thing about one deck of cards being more "Suspicious" than another and some sort of obstacle being created by useing a different colored pack. How can we generalize it like this? If you perform for Mary, Lisa, and Todd, And for the last six years or so these three have gotten toghether to play poker every weekend, and only use cards that have kitties and butterflys as the back design, Wouldn't red bikes be "different" to them?

That's possible, but not likely. If they play cards every week, then I'm guessing they probably have to run down to the drug store for a new pack, and even if they choose the one with the butterfly(?) back design, they will see your standard bike brand. To be sure they will see other types of cards as well, but the fact is they're most likely to be exposed to standard bicycles, which is why this following bit of yours is a non sequitur:

Quote:
By the above theory, The bikes would be as suspect as any other deck that was "Different" to them.

Just because someone does not use brand X dos not mean all non-brand X cards are equally alien.

Quote:
So would you then need a compeling reason to use Bikes? Same goes for Tally-Ho's or Bees or Aviators or whatever else. Your basing it on a spectators perspective. And theres really no way you can know what their perspective is going to be. Its great to say "This is what they sell in the local drugstore". But what does that mean? I'm sure not everybody shops in the same drugstore or has the same tastes.

Well, this is sort of why we play the odds. Why do you practice gambling demonstrations for 21 and poker? What if Mary, Todd and Lisa play hearts and cribbage?

Also a comment on an above post or two: Just because you have not heard a spectator call the Black Tigers/Vipers/Whatevers are suspicious, does not mean they have not thought it. I've seen magicians dress in ridiculous costumes, and I've never said anything to them.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Quote:
On 2008-11-27 14:52, Cain wrote:
Also a comment on an above post or two: Just because you have not heard a spectator call the Black Tigers/Vipers/Whatevers are suspicious, does not mean they have not thought it. I've seen magicians dress in ridiculous costumes, and I've never said anything to them.

I admit I am a bit biased regarding the cards as their creator but that doesn't change the facts. If your being paid to perform and people are more concerned with your props than your act then you may need to work on your act a bit more.

I know what your saying. There are plenty of clueless magi-like folks out there that don't realize how silly they look in their blue sequined coat or how terrible their pass really is. I sir assure you of this, that is not the case with me.
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
point_blank
View Profile
New user
Queenstown, New Zealand
6 Posts

Profile of point_blank
Fair call, I guess I made an assumption that if they didn't vocalise it then they don't think it, I usually just get a 'wow, those are cool'. I usually present them for a mentalism trick first, giving a reason for the cards to be different and alluding to the darker side of magic.

But that's neither here nor there, I like using these cards as they have stood up well to the test of constant use over time and they haven't deteriorated much during that time except for the edges going white which can be easily fixed as suggested earlier by taking your sharpie to them.
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
On 2008-11-27 14:52, Cain wrote:

Quote:
Just because someone does not use brand X dos not mean all non-brand X cards are equally alien.

So there you go. Why would black cards or white cards be any more alien than any other cards.

If memory serves, the last time I checked out the cards in my local drugstore, They had quite a variety of choices. Including coca-cola cards with Santa on them, transparent plastic cards, Black bicycles, A few off brands that were green, beige, and lavender, And on and on. And we won't even talk about the variety at Wal-mart. Barbie, Spider man, Star wars, you name it. After stopping by Wal-mart black tigers start to seem boring.

So based on what your saying, The only ones that they apparently pay attention to are the red bicycles. Why would that be?

Quote:
Well, this is sort of why we play the odds. Why do you practice gambling demonstrations for 21 and poker? What if Mary, Todd and Lisa play hearts and cribbage?

I'm sorry. I don't see what difference this makes. Mary, Todd and Lisa play hearts and cribbage. Why practice an ambitious card routine?

Quote:

The door defiantly swings both ways on this one guys. Just because they don't voice suspicions toward the blue bikes you are using, doesn't mean they are not having suspicious thoughts about them. And as MAKMagic said, Why should people be so concerned with what type of cards your using. If your doing your job, They should be more concerned with WHAT your doing.
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz.......(This post has got to be in my top 5.)
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
Quote:
On 2008-11-28 09:34, Tim Jahn wrote:

So there you go. Why would black cards or white cards be any more alien than any other cards.

Do I really need to explain to this basic intuition? Tell you what, let's hold off on that for a moment.

Quote:
If memory serves, the last time I checked out the cards in my local drugstore, They had quite a variety of choices. Including coca-cola cards with Santa on them, transparent plastic cards, Black bicycles, A few off brands that were green, beige, and lavender, And on and on. And we won't even talk about the variety at Wal-mart. Barbie, Spider man, Star wars, you name it. After stopping by Wal-mart black tigers start to seem boring.

Generally speaking we do not want to draw extra attention to our props. There are exceptions, of course, but these cases typically require a supporting argument. Take your blank backed cards or "Ghost" pack to P. Diddy's White Party in the Hamptons. Kitsch cards from the drugstore also have their place -- the drawers and shoe boxes of nine year-olds. Honestly, do you think the people responsible for set design on television shows and films are going to feature their characters using the gaudy cards you mention? They would stick out worse than Ann Coulter's madam's apple.

Quote:
So based on what your saying, The only ones that they apparently pay attention to are the red bicycles. Why would that be?

o you not pay attention to this forum? Blue-backed cards have a calming psychological effect. I never specifically mentioned the inferior red bicycles.

Quote:
I'm sorry. I don't see what difference this makes. Mary, Todd and Lisa play hearts and cribbage. Why practice an ambitious card routine?

Are you trying to elevate cluelessness to an art form?

Quote:
The door defiantly swings both ways on this one guys. Just because they don't voice suspicions toward the blue bikes you are using, doesn't mean they are not having suspicious thoughts about them. And as MAKMagic said, [u]Why should people be so concerned with what type of cards your using. If your doing your job, They should be more concerned with WHAT your doing.[/u]

Well, that's certainly one other way of restating my central point.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Which point is that Cain? In the last few posts you've jumped around so much that I figured you were just having a laugh. What are we talking about now? Cribbage? Who uses brand X and who doesn't? Gambling demos? What you belive is suspicious and what isn't? What?

Basic intuition? Man.. If know for a fact what kind of cards your specs. use and are used to, You should just skip the cards and go straight to mentalism.

And you still didn't anwser the question. Why would people look at just bikes in the drugstore? It doesn't matter that Bikes are all that YOU see. And BTW those gaudy cards are used by a lot of people. People who don't have your high standards and tastes of course, But your tastes don't matter. I suppose you don't get that.

And I ask, Why are you so worried about the type of cards you use? If your trying to project yourself as having magical powers and that you are above suspicion, Perhaps you shoud just practice more and stop letting the "Props" do all the work.

I don't see how someone who posts in text-speak and brings himself down to the level he's trying to make fun of could call anyone else "Clueless".
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
Quote:
On 2008-11-29 03:12, Tim Jahn wrote:
Which point is that Cain? In the last few posts you've jumped around so much that I figured you were just having a laugh.

Well, I attempted to underline it, but I suppose this board does not recognize that formatting code. Here it is... again.

Quote:
Why should people be so concerned with what type of cards your using. If your doing your job, They should be more concerned with WHAT your doing.

Quote:
Basic intuition? Man.. If know for a fact what kind of cards your specs. use and are used to, You should just skip the cards and go straight to mentalism.

Straw man. I never claimed to know what kinds of cards my spectators "use and are used to." Pay attention: I spoke in terms of odds.

Quote:
And you still didn't anwser the question. Why would people look at just bikes in the drugstore? It doesn't matter that Bikes are all that YOU see. And BTW those gaudy cards are used by a lot of people. People who don't have your high standards and tastes of course, But your tastes don't matter. I suppose you don't get that.

No, you're missing the point. Again. The fact is that -- at least in my part of the United States, and according to reliable reports, most other parts as well -- Bicycle cards are ubiquitous. Odds are it is what people think of as ordinary. I can go to a dozen stores in a one-mile radius and, if they sell playing cards, they will likely sell Bikes. The same cannot be said for your so-called Butterfly Backs.

When I speak about intuition I mean there are different levels of familiarity. I visited a friend who had new roommates. They had monthly poker games and used Hoyle playing cards. These also look ordinary, and I doubt the typical lay person can tell the difference. A black backed card or a white backed card is much more different; so different, in fact, that this is how they're marketed!

Quote:
And I ask, Why are you so worried about the type of cards you use? If your trying to project yourself as having magical powers and that you are above suspicion, Perhaps you shoud just practice more and stop letting the "Props" do all the work.

What are you attempting to say here? This makes no sense... unless you're subtly trying to discourage kids from using drugs.

Quote:
I don't see how someone who posts in text-speak and brings himself down to the level he's trying to make fun of could call anyone else "Clueless".

Are you referring to my satirical posts on the topic? Need I remind that they are satirical?

point_blank
View Profile
New user
Queenstown, New Zealand
6 Posts

Profile of point_blank
Quote:
On 2008-11-29 02:46, Cain wrote:
Kitsch cards from the drugstore also have their place -- the drawers and shoe boxes of nine year-olds.

These cards have a time and place in the real world too, I don't know if you've seen it but Cyril Takayama does a brilliant effect with some spiderman cards ending with him shooting a string of web to select the card from about 20 feet away. Hardly something that you would expect a 'nine year old kid' to do. That's just one example of a professional magician using such cards, I'm sure there are more.

My 2 cents
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Cain:

First of all I'd like to say that I'm sorry from flying off the handle and trying to put you down in my last post. That wasn't right and I wan't you to know that I respect your opinions on this subject.

We each have our own ways of thinking and our own ways of expressing ourselves. You seem like a great guy and when it comes down to it, even the best of friends dissagree on certian things. So lets just agree to dissagree if we could. I don't want to see this dragged down to a childish, name calling match for no reason other than a dissagreement over what type of cards to use. I feel like its my fault that it got to this point and again I say, I'm sorry.

Like I said before in this thread, Everyone has thier own opinions about this subject, And it seems to be a very personal type of preference. One thing is for sure. Once someone has made up thier mind about this subject, They are not going to change it lightly.

Best,
Tim
Andrew, (ASW)
Sincerely,
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
Quote:
On 2008-11-29 16:37, point_blank wrote:
These cards have a time and place in the real world too, I don't know if you've seen it but Cyril Takayama does a brilliant effect with some spiderman cards ending with him shooting a string of web to select the card from about 20 feet away. Hardly something that you would expect a 'nine year old kid' to do. That's just one example of a professional magician using such cards, I'm sure there are more.

*sigh* I don't think you're paying close attention to my position. Using Spiderman cards for a Spiderman trick sounds like an appropriate exception. You're just indirectly reinforcing something I have been saying all along. Ask yourself this: what brand of playing cards has Cyril used to perform classic card effects?

------
Tim, no need to apologize. I did not take personal offense at anything you said against me.

JBetts97
View Profile
New user
Houghton Lake, Michigan
64 Posts

Profile of JBetts97
I think its ausome

-JBetts97

Click here to view attached image.
JBetts97
View Profile
New user
Houghton Lake, Michigan
64 Posts

Profile of JBetts97
Haaaaaa ........ just haaaahaaahaaaaa.....I don't..........hhhhhahaaahaaaaaaahaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaa own it

- JBetts97

Smile Smile Smile
JBetts97
View Profile
New user
Houghton Lake, Michigan
64 Posts

Profile of JBetts97
I do think you should buy it though if you collect cards.

JBetts97

P.S.

Sorry if my last post on this was rude
JBetts97
View Profile
New user
Houghton Lake, Michigan
64 Posts

Profile of JBetts97
Sorry, really.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Black Tiger Deck (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL