The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kidshow performance props (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
Hi everyone,

I'm a magician from Turkey. In Turkey, I'm performing Kidshows. I always use vanishing cane, change bag, linking rings, egg bag and some rope magic. But my props are all same. How can I change myself? I want to use new things and want to be a better kidshow performer.

Can you please help me?

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
DO you want to develop a second set of effects for a repeat performance or do you just want to revamp the entire act?

Getting some of the Kidabra videos would give you some ideas also David Kaye's book Seriously Silly is a great resource.
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
Hi Mr. Terry Owens,

I'm working as a Kidshow performer most of the time in my country. I have an act already, but I think its a bit short and I think I SHOULD add something else. I will search the sources that you ADVISED. Thank you for those.

Whats your favourite trick or part in a Kidshow performance?

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
If you have a 30 minute program, for the most part, that's long enough, for birthday parties and so forth. Do you do a warm-up with the children? That is always a good thing...it's fun for the children and adds time to your performance. I like Dennis Michaels suggestion for a warm up, asking how many magicians are in the audience and tell them that you're going to make them all magicians...have them say the magic word...Abrakadabra. Tell them that wasn't loud enough and do that a couple more times. On the third time, produce a cane and have the children applaud. You just warmed them up, made them a part of the program, and they feel magical.

As for my favorite effect...one of my signature effects is the multiplying silks. I start with a black silk and then all of a sudden, another silk appears and is tied to it...I untie it, and another appears, and another...this is usually one of my opening effects after the warm up and it leads into my next featured item. I get tons of laughs because I make it into a comedy piece. For my first line show for daycares I do 6 effects and it's a 30 minute program, and I use a puppet in my routine too. It's almost none stop laughter during the show.

I hope that helps...but there's nothing wrong with doing the classics. Only magicians are tired of the classics, most people love to see them and there's a reason they are a classic, it's because they entertain.
Sal Amangka
View Profile
Special user
Manila, Philippines
712 Posts

Profile of Sal Amangka
Hi Nedim,

I have been performing magic for kids for almost 17 years not and have experimented with a lot during my first few year... Right now, my style of presentation in "interactive magic" which means 80% of my performance involves kids who come up on stage to perform the magic with me.

I have also somewhat mastered the so called art of "Pack Flat/Small, Plays Big" set of props. Before I use to bring a very big suitcase table plus 6 doves and 2 rabbits... now I don't work with animals and added puppet/ventriloquism and balloon sculpting in my act.

My show runs for a minimum of 35 - 45 minutes, which all depends on how the kids will react to the entire show.

I use a lot of silk effects and use the change bag twice in my routine. If you need any help with regards to entertaining kids let me know.

Sal
http://www.chubbyflores.com
Salamangka in Filipino means "Magic"
http://www.thechubstershow.com
thechubstershow@gmail.com
DUTCH MAGIC MAN
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of DUTCH MAGIC MAN
David Ginn has some good routines out for kids shows.
KidMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Bradford
183 Posts

Profile of KidMagic
Although I am only 13 I know a few things about performing for kids and I think that the best tricks are the ones that involve the kids alot! Also if it is a birthday party include the birthday boy/girl make them feel special. Anyway hope that helps a little.

Zach
Magically yours,
KidMagic/Zachary Gauthier
www.kidmagic.ca
Zorak
View Profile
Regular user
Maryland, USA
114 Posts

Profile of Zorak
I think that kidshow props should be colorful and exciting. Your first impression is important here. I designed a host of kidshow props and submit one as an example.
to see more visit my website at: kiddiekazam.com

Click here to view attached image.
Magic is in the hearts of children from 1 to 101
Please check out my Website: kiddiekazam.com
FREE ORIGINAL CLIPART FOR MAGICIANS & CLOWNS
PROP DESIGNS
MAGIC CARTOONS all drawn by Zorak
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Look out for interactive tricks like

silver sceptre (they see, magician doesn't)

rope through girl - as a tug of war (7 volunteers)

magic painting (4 volunteers)

four rooms using A-4 animal cards (4 volunteers)

try also doing 20th Century silks / Santa Claus silks (from http://www.ginnmagic.com ) using the change bag instead of blendo. I found this made a nice change.

Initially, I just bought different production devices like the changing bag, lewis cone, dovepan, devil's silk etc. Now I'm varying how I use them.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
At the risk of starting the Little Darlings' favorite debate about props versus performers, I would say, since the post asks where to look for kid show props, that there are several very good distinctive dealers: Derek Rutt Creations, Wolf's Magic, Practical Magic, Tim Sonefelt Wonder Imagery, Barry Mitchell Productions, and SPS Magic (Sammy Smith). I think those sites will give you some of the most distinctive stuff around.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Chris Capehart's Miser's Dream rountine creates a lot of comedy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kidshow performance props (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL