The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Ending dirty ... so dirty? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

LiquidSn
View Profile
Elite user
New York
472 Posts

Profile of LiquidSn
I personally think the best way to finish a routine with a coin or with multiple coins is to vanish them at the end.

I am sure the majority of the time when vanishing multiple coins is that you are holding out.

for example, in POS2 the mutliple coin vanish with the mutobe palm is great. that would be a great ending to a routine.

so my question is what you guys think about ending dirty. will the audience accept it? or assume you are holding out? is it bad to just put your hands in your pockets after the vanish to ditch the coins? or they will assume you just ditched the coins.

Tony
Blog about magic. by me.

Http://www.doublefacers.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Perhaps it's fine to put your hands in your pockets granted that the audience doesn't notice or remember that you did... or you have a ligit. reason for doing so with an "empty" hand.

If I remember correctly, Jay Sanky's "No Jacket Required" does this exact thing.

I think it's a wonderful routine, and part of the convincer is that the audience "sees" 4 coins, then "sees" 3, then SEES 2, then one, then none.

The part of the routine that makes the "going to the pocket" ok is that the audience absolutely SEES 2 coins and there used to be 4, and you have not gone anywhere near your pockets.

When something that convincing takes place, you can get away with it.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
CloseUpMagicKid
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
105 Posts

Profile of CloseUpMagicKid
Well, before ditching the coins your hands have to appear empty...

Putting your hands in your pocket after that shouldn't cause suspicion - especially if there's a reason why you put your hand in your pocket.

I sometimes get away with ditching the shell by standing back with both hands casually in my pocket. It's as if I'm just watching reactions rather than 'ditching' something. It's a position that I instil in their heads before the trick. Walk up to them with hands in your pocket and talk to them while your hands are in your pocket. Then make sure they see your hand clean every time you pull it out.
"Careful! The beverage you are about to enjoy is extremely hot!" -Starbucks Coffee

GlennMagasDotCom
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
I vanish my $2.00 to two $ 1.00's as I hand it to someone! Then I say, "Maybe I have another one"... Then look in 2 or 3 Pockets and Ditch it in a pocket! The Idea here is that I am looking to take something out of my pocket, not puting something in! And your body Language must say that! Then I come out of the last Pocket and say, "Sorry, fresh out!" You might do something like that! It does take a bit of acting to do it!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
LiquidSn
View Profile
Elite user
New York
472 Posts

Profile of LiquidSn
CloseUpMagicKid,

seems like it would work for one coin routine or a coins across....

that's what i do when their attention is somewhere else. usually i put the coins in the spec. hands in a coins across and then ditch the shell, but i feel this is harder since you are vanishing multi coins. and after that, all their attention is on your hands and trying to figure out where it went.

so i don't think a casual ditch would work...... like to hear other opinions.

Tony
Blog about magic. by me.

Http://www.doublefacers.com
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Do a complete vanish. Bobo had a ton of them. I personally like thumb palming a coin and then dropping it in my breast pocket while waving my hand over my left fist.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
I also keep in mind what Steve Bedwell once mentioned:
You can start your aquitments before the actual routine has begun, and end them, long after it is finished.
Example: After a coin routine you're holding out one coin in classic palm. You direct attention to a deck of cards that's been laying on the table the whole time. You pick it up, while still holding out, let someone pick a card and while all attention is on that you take up the cardcase and put it in your pocket, along with the coin.
If played right the audience forgot about the coin the moment the "new trick with cards" began and quit chasing you.

Also very disarmingly: Pick up your glass to take a sip while holding out a coin (fingerpalm is best, ramsey subtlety works even better with a glass in your hand!)
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
I've found holding out is ok in the right situation, but when you are working a restaurant, with people who now have the courage of liquor in them, tend to grab at your hands when they are in disbelief.

(I.E. a Three fly routine)

No amount of audience control will stop someone who is determined to see inside your hands. So ending clean is big with me.

Chaulk it up to paranoia. Smile
Kainoa
View Profile
Elite user
NewArk, Delaware
424 Posts

Profile of Kainoa
I think part of succeeding with non-clean endings comes from a combination of confidence and proficiency with potentially difficult moves. I think we've all seen people perform who we know must be dirty as sin yet have convinced us that they are not. Likewise, we've all seen people who are actually in a really good "position" in terms of cleanliness, but still communicate discomfort and rigid muscularity.

I know that sounds like a stomach flu, but when I see myself or others do it, it gives me the symptoms of one.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Ending dirty ... so dirty? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL