The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Let there be magic! » » Do you think,content is the most important thing? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
Just wondering if you think I should put this on dvd, with high production values, or just focus on the content and sell it at a better price?

This is something I have been doing for about fifteen years and think it is the most convincing card too spectator wallet possible.

effect is this
A spectator selects two target cards(say the two of hearts and the four of clubs) and the rest of the deck is placed aside.
You give them a sharpi to sign both selections and
to make sure the ink does not rub off.
Next the spectator puts one of the selections in there wallet, and the other(say the two of hearts) is placed face up on the deck, which has played no part since the cards were selected.
You lose the signed two of hearts in the deck and then slowly reach for your wallet and remove it,and inside is the signed two of hearts.
After the spectator confirms that it is indeed there signed two of hearts, it is once again lost in the deck.
Now with both hands completley empty, you again very slowly reach for and open your wallet, but when you turn the card face up,it is now the signed four of clubs that they themselves placed in there wallet.
They reach for there wallet and pull out there signed two of hearts that they themselves confirmed was in your wallet,just moments before,and you are one hundred percent clean!
This truly is a never,and I mean NEVER! touch the spectator wallet effect.

This effect was just described too a T, with no misleading statements!
This is a worker, not a pipe dream, and the handling is straight forword and very very clean looking from start to finish.
Timm
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
56 Posts

Profile of Timm
It sounds like a great effect. To be honest though, I don't buy those "1 trick" dvd's out of principle. I'd rather spend $40 and buy a book with dozens of tricks.

Maybe submit it to Genii or Magic, or put it in lecture notes with other effects. Also, as I'm sure you're aware with the proliferation of videos on the internet, someone will get yor dvd and put it up there before you make your investment back.
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
Thanks Timm
I have several effects that use the principle so it would be a half dozen or so on the dvd.
Books are great and make you think more,thus more creative,but some will read very little.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
If you do a good job of teaching the principle so that others will know what to do and have learned how to do it from your video, the job is done.

Also might be good to make sure you put your work in context of our literature so folks who do reference your work in their works will keep the train of thought on its tracks so to speak.

Best wishes,

Jon
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
Well said John, very good advice.
Thanks for the input,
Steve
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
I'd pick a book or set of lecture notes over a DVD any time. You could probably get away with selling a single effect DVD, but it would also lead to a lot of illegal filesharing copies from people who think they're doing the world a favor because they consider the DVD an expensive rip-off. Put it in a collection or submit it to a magazine. Offering it up for a better price will eventually benefit everyone.
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
I as always say...Why not both?
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
I know this is older but personally, I care much more about learning the effect than the background or what someone's wearing. As long as the video quality is good, so that I can clearly see the instruction, I couldn't care less about how pretty the menus or backgrounds are.
InstantMagicBen
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of InstantMagicBen
If an instructional dvd was filmed whilst in a car or on a bus, if the effect is just wanted I wanted, I wouldn't care. I'm buying the effect not forest gump!
Alex L. Molina
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Alex L. Molina
Hello Steve Smile

Happy Holidays...

IMHO, the wise old saying "it's not what you do, it's how you do it" does indeed serve well when beginning our journey as performers; once that journey is well under way, in my experience, it IS what you do AND how you do it Smile
"YOU Are The MAGIC"

Peace, Love, & Success
alex

www.FB.com/ASAOPEpresentsTUCHT
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Content, especially real life performance footage is the most important imho...

Clarity both in video and audio is a must.

Pretty graphics only lead to the price being raised sometimes.

If I'm asked to choose, then it is content.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
If you market it post where to get it here, because tit seems to good to be true. If it is true (and I'm assuming it is) I would love to get it.
Reality is a real killjoy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Let there be magic! » » Do you think,content is the most important thing? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL