The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dead Elvis Week (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
The 30th Anniversary of the death of the King is rapidly approaching. Anyone planning on trekking to the Memphis area to partake in the festivities?? I know I will be avoiding that part of Memphis at all costs!

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Summer of '77, NYC.

The Bronx was burning.

The Yankees were on the verge of an historic comeback.

Star Wars, Annie Hall, Looking for Mr. Goodbar...

Son of Sam

The BIG Black out

Pot cost $40.00 an ounce

Coke cost $100.00 a gram

Drinking age was 18

The King? Long live the King!

John Lennon was still hanging out in Central Park.

That's all I can (or will admit to) remember from the seventies.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Justin, you mean that's what your friends told you about the summer o' 77 Smile You where in your room practicing one handed dollar productions Smile

M:C
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Quote:
On 2007-08-06 13:31, Matt Colman wrote:
Justin, you mean that's what your friends told you about the summer o' 77 Smile You where in your room practicing one handed dollar productions Smile

M:C

uh, yeah, that's it. I think???

hey now...
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Last I heard, Elvis was still dead.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
Considering how close it is, and the fact that I am actually a (relatively speaking) Elvis fan, it is surprising that I have never been to Memphis. Only through it several times, on the way in and out of the state. Stopped for directions there once and got acosted by a crackhead while my 3 yr old daughter and pregnant wife watched from the car. Ahhhh..beautiful Memphis memories.
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Scot! That's a terrible thing to have happen! Of course, with King Willie in office, that hasn't changed much...that's why I moved to the outskirts of Memphis to Southaven, MS. It's amazing at how much of a difference five miles and a state line can make! There's an election coming up, and hopefully there will be a new mayor who has a better philosophy than "if you don't like it, leave..we don't want you here anyway!" I'm about ten minutes away from Graceland, so if you ever want to stop in for a visit, give me a holler!

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
30 years....I was camping outside of Yosemite, in Mariposa, Ca. when Elvis died. We heard it and went into a house nearby and asked them and they let us in and Johnny Carson announced it.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Energizer
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Energizer
On the subject of Elvis, and I apologize for going off topic here - does anyone please know the name of the track where he sings 'Glory, glory halleleujah'?

But it's more up-beat, and rocking.

So it's not 'An American Trilogy' - which is where he sings those lyrics more slowly. American Trilogy was the song that made me realize why they called him 'The King'. But people tend to mis-label it.

I've tried downloading this one, but dunno what it's called.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Everyone in Memphis hates me. But I do plan on eating a banana sandwich while sitting on the toilet.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Isn't every week since his death Dead Elvis week?
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
The only King the USA has ever recognized. Long live the King.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
Quote:
On 2007-08-06 19:12, Margarette wrote:
I'm about ten minutes away from Graceland, so if you ever want to stop in for a visit, give me a holler!

Margarette

I do plan on visiting Graceland some day, so we'll look you up when we do. I actually live just about 20 minutes south of Nashville. So it takes me about 3 1/2 hours to get to Memphis.
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
Patriot
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Patriot
I was slated to work off-duty security for his concert at the Hampton, VA coliseum the end of August. I was crushed, but not too surprised, to hear that he had passed. It was a deeper emotional blow hearing that John Belushi, John Lennon and John Denver had died far too soon.
tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
I was fairly young when he died, but I was a huge fan, nonetheless. I had asked my parents to go see him just a couple of months before he died, and they wouldnt take me. I don't think my mother has ever forgiven herself for that.
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Tell your mom that the rumor is that your missing his concert may have been what killed him.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Margarette,

I can't be there. But if you're an Elvis fan knowing that I'll be TCB will make sense.

Bob

PS --- I need to know about the lecture in Memphis for 9/13/2007. Please catch me up to speed.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I was a messenger. I got back from a run and the radio played an Elvis number. The dispatcher said; "Well, that's all we're going to be hearing today." and I responded; "Why, did he die or something?"

It's amazing how often I stick my foot in my mouth!

There was a comedian on Leno last night who did a bit in a truck stop. He looked into the camera and said; "Hey Jay, didn't you always say you wanted a dead Elvis?" He held up one of the nick nacks they sell at those places and it was Elvis as a zombie!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dead Elvis Week (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL