The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mephisto's Shoulder - My Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bushido
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Bushido
This is my first review here on the Café and I know that all of our opinions as to what makes for good material will differ greatly. I am going to try to avoid being overly negative or positive - I just want to share what I got out of this.

Dearly Departed: A volunteer is given a sealed envelope and a photograph of a dead person; they are to look at the photograph at any opportunity they can for a week. After the week has passed the volunteer makes a time prediction. Once the prediction is made the envelope is opened to reveal a death certificate showing a time of death for the person in the photograph that matches their prediction.

What I thought - Well, while reading through this I immediatly thought "darn, I already knew this and should have thought of that myself..." I didn't think about it and I am happy with this presentation. Sure, the methods used might be known to many of us but it is a great presentation.

When I purchase material, I am not only looking for new methods, but also new presentational ideas that I can apply older methods to.

You might or might not learn new "techniques" here, but it is a great routine - Good Job Paul...

Telepathic Touch: You explain that a single touch is enough to change destiny if we allow it to. A sealed envelope is handed to a person to keep safe. You look into the eyes of a volunteer and touch their shoulder. A deck of cards is then displayed openly and fairly and four cards are selected randomly by this person, without you touching the cards. Each card is placed into an envelope and numbered.

Another person is asked to join the two of you. The first spectator touches the new spectator in the same way you touched them. The new spectator chooses any envelope they want, when the envelope is opened the card is displayed and eerily matches the card within the envelope that you handed out to a neutral party from the start.

What I Thought: This I will never use and did not like at all. I did however learn a few things about presentation. If you are a performer and you have full controll of your enviornment, then you might like this. I do want to point out the following:

The statement "A deck of cards is then displayed openly and fairly and four cards are selected randomly by this person, without you touching the cards" is not true at all. especially the last part!!!

Okay, the one that has been getting lots of attention - This is the main reason I purchased this...

Serial, Killer!: You approach a person that you have never met before, you ask them to take out a bank note while you turn away. You never touch them, their belongings or the note, yet you can tell them the unique serial number on the bank note.

It is really hard for me to judge this one. I hove not yet tried it and I can honestly say: I will NEVER.

I'll just say this, It is exactly what I was afraid it was going to be. Now please do not get me wrong. It is workable (not for me) and If you do pull this off, you are set, you are the real deal in the eye of the spec.

Note: Paul, please do not take any offense to any of this. I just think that this is only fair for the other Café members. I wish I had honest reviews instead of favors posted online.

So, is this for you? It is hard to say. I did get something out of it - mostly in terms of presentation. But for me, it was not worth $60. For you it might be worth double.

I sincerely hope this review was helpful to those on the Café and I really do wish Paul great success.
Paul Brook
View Profile
Special user
UK
903 Posts

Profile of Paul Brook
Hi Bushido,

Thank you for your review. I take no offense at all as you correctly say, especially with our art, there are personal tastes.

The only thing that I would like to comment on would be the following:

Quote:
On 2007-08-17 16:15, Bushido wrote:

The statement "A deck of cards is then displayed openly and fairly and four cards are selected randomly by this person, without you touching the cards" is not true at all. especially the last part!!

This statement is actually true, I discuss the applications of performing the selection out of the performers hands within the manuscript.

The cards are displayed very fairly and four cards are selected randomly.

The only part that is optional is if you touch or do not touch the cards.

Thanks again for the review, I agree, it is nice to have honest reviews even if the product isn't for you personally Smile

Kindest,

-Paul
PAUL BROOK

He Knows Shop - All of my mentalism books, PDFs and props Smile

Certified Mentalism A beautifully illustrated hardback book full of real world mentalism Smile

FREE MENTALISM Free hard-hitting effects, routines and methods, just a click away Smile

MAGIC TV INTERVIEW An deep dive interview with Craig Petty, nothing held back! Smile
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
Nice little review

Like I said in the other topic, some will be disappointed with the method to the Serial Killer effect, but what you have to ask yourself is did you like the performance video?
If you did then this will allow you to do exactly that.
I was at first disappointed with the means to achieving it, but I gradually began to like it more and more, then I tried it and it went amazingly well.
Also, though I have not read this bit over yet, there is a stage presentation for this effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mephisto's Shoulder - My Review (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL