The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Zimbabwe...does anyone care? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
As I post this letter, the Iraqi thread has 42 replies and 369 viewings. Ok two of them are mine. But in Zimbabwe millions of men, women and children are being slowly starved to death by their leader Mugabe. Why? Because they did not vote for him.

The white farmers have now been removed and all food reserves are controlled by the Government. Anyone who asks for food aid who opposed Mugabe at the rigged elections are told: "you want food? - go and see Tony Blair". These vast numbers are by and large reduced to feeding like our related species, - monkeys and apes, - eating leaves, grass and roots. The situation worsens by the day. But of course Zimbabwe does not have oil or challenge a nearby Zionist state does it?
Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
One might expect to find examples of suffering and centuries old political hostilities much closer to home.

Is that the same country that was called Rhodesia?

And what difference does its government and citizenry make to our national interests?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
I probably shouldnt even reply to this thread as I am quite passionate about the subject, but heres my 2c anyway...

Suffering is not only limited to foriegn countries. What about the homeless in the UK, in America, New Zealand, Australia, Canada etc. Citizens of our own countries are starving and dying on the streets, and we ignore them because it is easier to focus on 'bigger' problems overseas, where it is not in our face. We may find that life is alot more pleasant if our governments put a bit more money into helping their own people.

Anywho, the tragedy in Zimbabwe is grossly injust, but its not affecting us politically (just like our own homeless and poor) and it is not threatening oil supplies, or the pride and righteousness of the USA, so therefore we shouldnt care about it.
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
North Korea is in much the same state. I give these governments about 5-10 more years before they disappear completely.
If anyone sees my sanity, please return it to

me.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Quote:
On 2003-02-09 16:10, ChrisZampese wrote:
Suffering is not only limited to foriegn countries. What about the homeless in the UK, in America, New Zealand, Australia, Canada etc.

As many of you know, I work in a church office. At any day during the week, I either take phone calls or see people just walk in asking for assistance of some sort (help with rent, utilities, needing food, needing work....). The church I work at is relatively small, but in a very visible area in a part of town that is not very affluent. We don't have the funds to help these people. The pastor and I (the only two regularly in the office) have on numerous occasions taken money out of our own pocket to help these people. I have had a man come by the office saying he and his pregnant wife have been evicted, and they have no where to go. I have had a woman call saying her payday isn't for another week, and she has no food for her children. I have had a man come by saying after 15 years at the same job, he has gotten laid off and he's depleted his savings...he doesn't want a hand out, he wants a job. I've had a woman come by saying she is in an abusive relationship and wants out, but has no means to provide for herself and her child. These are just some of the calls and visits since the beginning of the year. My heart aches everytime I have to tell them that we don't have the funds to help. All I can do is refer them to an agency that can possibly lend assistance, or direct them to local food pantries.
Suffering is everywhere. I am one person in one church in one community in one city....I can only do so much!
The current project for the church I work at is "quarters for goats". One tube of quarters will hold 480 quarters which will buy one goat thru Heifer Project International. This one goat will be sent to a needy family...along with instructions and proper care lessons. Heifer Project is taking to the world the phrase "Give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime." Unfortunately, this process will not happen overnight. But, if they are willing to take on the suffering of the world one family, one community at a time, I think they are doing a good job.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Nice work Maragrette!

Its a shame the government doesn't lend more of a hand. I only have to look at my own City Council here in Hamilton New Zealand to see examples of badly directed funds (at least badly in my opinion).

Our council have just decided to spend a couple of million bucks putting in a nice riverside walkway. Imagine the good that kind of money could do!

I know that there are good reasons for some projects. The walkway will make Hamilton a more attractive place for visitors, and provide a place to hold market days etc which is all great for the economy, but sometimes I think we should spend a bit of our tax payer money on helping our neighbors instead of helping ourselves.

God Bless you and your work Margarette,

Chris.
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Zimbabwe...does anyone care? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL