The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge Balls and Sponge Bunnies are very popular, too popular (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
You need a lot of spares as back-ups because after a few tables you may not get back all 25 balls.
Magicusa
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Magicusa
I'm with Bill Palmer on this one.

My mother aways wants me to do the Sponge balls too for her friends. For her I do it as many time as she wants me to.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-08-21 21:51, ibm_usa wrote:
I was experimenting with Thumb Tips and Sponge balls and I came across a problem, the sponges get stuck inside the TT's. are there any sources to over come this problem or should I try again with something else? ( I am afraid that too much pulling will harm the sponges or the TT)

This is not the place to openly discuss techniques or gimmicks. That's for the Secret Sessions.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Good call Bill.
Cards never lie
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Quote:
On 2007-09-02 11:55, Bill Palmer wrote:
Where are you running into a situation where "every day the same person comes up to you and wants to see the sponge balls"? Your profile lists you as an illusionist. You aren't running into this in an illusion show are you?

If you are doing this while you work at some kind of other job besides being a magician, there is a very simple answer. "Not right now."

Unless you are being PAID to perform, you are not under any obligation to show anyone magic. And even then, you should have some kind of control over what you show.

===========================

This Burger presentation is actually Dr. Jaks' "Multiball." It is very effective, but you should only do it if you can afford to lose some of the 1/2" sponge balls each time you do it, because they are going to go EVERYWHERE!

Bill,

I'm only running into this problem when I'm not working on the stage.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
jocdoc
View Profile
Inner circle
Carlsbad, CA
1183 Posts

Profile of jocdoc
I use Daryl's "Papa Rabbit Hits the Big Time" all of the time in my practice - it kills the kids and their parents. Fun plot/fast/lots of smiles!

http://magic.about.com/od/magicreview/fr/paparabbit.htm

I also use a colored sponge ball routine when I explain cholesterol-related ailments (triglycerides join to combine to form cholesterol molecules which combine to form hormones, etc).

jeff in san diego
http://www.medicine-in-motion.com
Life is an improv. The game goes on...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-09-08 22:03, ibm_usa wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-09-02 11:55, Bill Palmer wrote:
Where are you running into a situation where "every day the same person comes up to you and wants to see the sponge balls"? Your profile lists you as an illusionist. You aren't running into this in an illusion show are you?

If you are doing this while you work at some kind of other job besides being a magician, there is a very simple answer. "Not right now."

Unless you are being PAID to perform, you are not under any obligation to show anyone magic. And even then, you should have some kind of control over what you show.

===========================

This Burger presentation is actually Dr. Jaks' "Multiball." It is very effective, but you should only do it if you can afford to lose some of the 1/2" sponge balls each time you do it, because they are going to go EVERYWHERE!

Bill,

I'm only running into this problem when I'm not working on the stage.

Could you be a bit more vague?

Are you running into this in an office, a restaurant, your bathroom, the grocery store or what?

If you are running into this in a non-performing situation, you are under absolutely NO obligation to perform the sponge bunnies or the sponge balls for them.

Tell them "One performance is a show. Two performances is a lesson."

=============================================================

There is an unofficial group of professional magicians called "The Sponge Bunny Club." Some of the members are/were Bev Bergeron, Karrell Fox, Jay Marshall and Frank Garcia. What they have in common is that while they were sitting in a diner in various parts of the country, the waitress overheard them talking about magic. Then she told them she knew a trick, and she did the sponge rabbits for them.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Quote:
On 2007-09-02 11:19, pepka wrote:
I know I'll get hazed for this, but what the hell. I think that sponge balls/bunnies are one of the worst tricks EVER! It never ceases to amaze me that most people perform this and the method is so obvious, it's a miracle that spectators wouldn't figure it out. Many years ago, I can remember one of my first visits to a magic shop and someone performed sponge balls for me. I had no reaction. I told him they were squishy and you can't really tell if you have 1 or 5 in your hand. And people that have 10 minute sponge ball routines? Aaarrgh, that's horrible. There are 2 exceptions for me. Marc Desouza has a cool routine that takes about 30 seconds. To me the best sponge ball routine I've seen is Eugene Burger. Too look at Eugene, sponge balls is probably the absolute last thing that would come to your mind. His routine climaxes with 25 sponge balls appearing in a spectator's hand where previously there were 3.

I couldn't agree with you more : )!

You may want to check out this: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=14
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Dynamike--The reaction of these three kids tells me that this trick WORKS for you. Nice multiple-out routining to keep it fresh, too. Thanks!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I perform 4 different sponge routines. I got sold on sponges when I saw routines performed well. It's easy to perform them badly, which may explain why some magicians don't like them. I guess I was fortunate that one of the first magicians I saw perform sponge balls was Steve Dacri, on The Merv Griffin Show.
conjurormatt
View Profile
Regular user
Ft. Worth, TX
181 Posts

Profile of conjurormatt
If you're looking for something with a similar effect, but without a standard ball or bunny, you might like "bio buddies" from my friend Randi Rain, they come in various colors, so you can have cooties, pollen, blood cells or viruses of various types. She also makes giant foam pills which are a great final production. Heres a link: http://www.raincloudmagic.com/foam-sets/
Matthew Martin
"Merely to be acquainted with the basic secret of a card trick, in no way qualifies you to perform it. Few people realize that even a simple trick in the hands of a capable performer can become a minor miracle."
~Dai Vernon
MrG
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of MrG
Quote:
On Jun 24, 2014, Dynamike wrote:

Nice
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge Balls and Sponge Bunnies are very popular, too popular (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL