The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » cups and balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Marvin L.
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Marvin L.
I really must address this to the less accomplished afficianados of the cups and balls who must be overwhelmed by the responses. After reading many of the posts I must conclude that much of the recommended books, vids, etc. are focusing on performing for magicians and for self gratification instead of entertaining a lay audience.
Although I've had many of the references in books I must fall back on a basic routine in the " Big Book of Magic " by Patrick Page which I bought a few years ago for ten bucks.
It's a rather easy routine in 3 steps and 3 final loads. Presentation is of course critical. I use an Italian accent in my presentation.
I find most performances confusing and too long. After one of the SAM shows in N.Y. many of the audience and members commented that Frank Garcia, the guy that wrote the now highly cherished and expensive book on the subject didn't know when to stop. I guess he also was trying to impress the magi instead of a lay audience.
marvin L.
eebie376
View Profile
Elite user
415 Posts

Profile of eebie376
I like to use fruit for a final load, and fruit for the whole routine...looks impromptu.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Wow... Buma Jr., via Joe Stevens has just put on the market "pewter and gold trim" cups and at a special introductory price.

Well worth checking out (see Joe's newest mailing) or look at http://www.stevensmagic.com

If Jeff Busby sees these he will ???????
Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
Pete;
Thanks or calling attention to these cups. The overall design seems familiar Smile

I need to check with Stevens Magic to get an image or two to post on my cups web pages. I've been much too busy the past few months to keep them current.

Right now is a cup buyer's era in history. The current selection of quality cups available has never been matched. As with anything else that is hand made, these cups will not always be available.
Jim
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Stevens has other cups from Buma, but not advertised them as yet. Two sizes of silver, solid silver set and an engraved set. I saw them all at WMS, but didn't have the money to snap up any of them.

There must have been 12 different sets of cups at that dealer room. Gazzo's new taller Jumbos, my three sets, half a dozen sets from Holland, Porper cups and three or four Buma sets. Smile
Great Scot
View Profile
New user
Bellows Falls, VT USA
58 Posts

Profile of Great Scot
Hi,
I am looking for a set of cups that are correct for the renaissance, such as in Hocus Pocus, jr. or the Conjurer painting, anyone know where I might find them?

Thanks.
The Great Scot, Bardic Magician
Bringing Magic To People's Lives
http://www.greatscotmagic.com.
Stuart Joseph, 802-463-1954
Bellows Falls VT
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations GreatScot,

Harries Magic in Sweden

http://www.harriesmagic.com/engelsk/first.html

has some cups you might want take a look at. I recently purchased a set -- 72 (US$) plus 24 (US$) for shipping to KC. Very nice copper cups with a good feel and heft to them, and very authentic appearing, at least according to everything I've seen.

There's a longer discussion elsewhere in this forum discussing this very topic, and it has a lot of information comparing various cups.

I hope this helps. And being a Scotsman, I hope you don't end up too deep in your cups. Smile

God's speed and fair thee well!

Joe in KC
Great Scot
View Profile
New user
Bellows Falls, VT USA
58 Posts

Profile of Great Scot
Thank you, Joe.
I visited the site and they do look good. They are the most authentic I ahve seen in awhile, though Owens seems to make a simialr set, but only in aluminum, which would be great if I my persona was more than a performer. Aluminum was the most expensive metal available until the 20th Century.

I will try not to be in the cups too often. <grin>
The Great Scot, Bardic Magician
Bringing Magic To People's Lives
http://www.greatscotmagic.com.
Stuart Joseph, 802-463-1954
Bellows Falls VT
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
That's right. Before we learned how to create aluminum from Baurite, aluminum was extremely rare in nature and thus worth much more than gold. In fact, there is a crown from some European king that was made from aluminum. (Must have also been much more comfortable than the heavy gold the other guys were wearing.) This concludes your Jeopardy preparation lesson for today.
Makes you want to treat those beginner cups with more respect.
Jim Smile
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Swami Bill
View Profile
Regular user
Le Monde
135 Posts

Profile of Swami Bill
Great Scot!

I recently purchased a set of copper cups from Harries, called the Bosco Cups, and I'm very pleased.I wanted them for that particular style but be forwarned. They are large! I can load a regulation baseball with no problem. I anticipate that the copper will age to a nice patina. I, too, can recommend them.
Mr. Biro, who posts here regularly, also has a set that may meet you specs.
Good Luck.

- Bill
That's MISTER Swami Bill to you.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Am "fresh out" of copper cups. Have nickle plated ones in stock at http://www.stevensmagic.com search galli galli cups. Smile
stebinger
View Profile
New user
Singapore
1 Post

Profile of stebinger
Hi,
I have been using cups from Christian Jedinat in Germany. Price and quality are the wise these are the best cups I have seen so far. The small cups hold a tennis ball load.
http://www.jedinat.de/index5.htm
Stefan
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Pete,

Those Galli Galli cups are nice. Problem is I have paper arms.

Andrew has posted this link elsewhere, but these are my next cups. I'm, buying them in a couple of weeks. They're smaller, but I rarely do street anyway, and my Sisti cups suffice for that.

http://www.jesmagic.com

These are incredible. Andrew Wimhurst was the one to turned me on to these.
Carlos Hampton
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Carlos Hampton
Pete,

the only ones I found with gold trim are not form the manufacturer you mention.
These ones are price at 195 introductory price and are made by Mark Burger.

Are these the ones you are talking about?

Did you handle them?

I love browsing Stevens site, but trying to find something in there is just a nightmare. Not friendly user whatsoever.

Regards,

Carlos
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » cups and balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL