The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » De Kolta Vanishing Lady Variation? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
Does anybody know of a variation on the standard De Kolta Vanishing Lady where the chair disappears but the lady stays under the cloth?
Mark S. Farrar

Email: [email]MarkFarrar@TheMagicCircle.co.uk[/email]
Web: www.MagicSquaresBook.com, www.RandMPublishing.com, www.TheDailyGoalMachine.com, www.ParvoBuster.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Why would you want to do that?
Dennis Michael
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
I was thinking of a potential comedy item, where the chair vanishes and the assistant ends up indignantly in a heap on the floor.

Just a thought!
Mark S. Farrar

Email: [email]MarkFarrar@TheMagicCircle.co.uk[/email]
Web: www.MagicSquaresBook.com, www.RandMPublishing.com, www.TheDailyGoalMachine.com, www.ParvoBuster.com
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
I don't know about that. And I really can't imagine why you would want to. But, I am sure you could work something out.

However, there is a variation were the girl and the cloth vanish leaving only the chair behind.

You may want to try to hunt down De kolta's book.

Best,
Mike
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Quote:
On 2003-02-09 13:05, DenDowhy wrote:
Why would you want to do that?

Ahhhhhhhhh! Why would he not!? Because that's not how its 'supposed' to go?

Maybe he wants it to look like the illusion has failed, only to whip the cloth off to show that the lady is now floating.

Maybe he wants to perform to a group that may have seen the illusion before, thus providing a suprise twist.

Maybe it will be really funny in his act.

Let's not put limitations on others just because we cannot see what use they will have for the effect!!

Anywho, I have not seen anything like this before. Wuold you use your own assistant, or a spectator? If you used your own assistant maybe the same sort of priciple could be applied. Possibly a collapsible shell for the chair that ends up folded against the assistant's back?
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Mark,
As a creator of magic myself, I agree with Chris. Why not?! I think it would be truly funny! God forbid we think beyond the status quo!! Here are some routine suggestions. Have the girl hold a sign which reads "The Vanishing Girl". After the cloth is pulled and she falls on her butt, lean down looking nervous and flip a tricky panel on the sign switching "Girl" to "Chair". It is a simple gimmick to make. Make sure you use Bold lettering. A follow up bit, look around hap hazardly in confusion and the chair drops from above crashing down next to you! Or if you made very lightweight, it could nail you in the cranium. I am not kidding, it would have an impact and I think your idea is clever. As for method of the chair vanishing, it can be done. It would take a bit of thought for you to iron out the problem or hire someone like yours truly to engineer and design it, and you or myself could build it. I think you could pull it off yourself after a few weeks of sleepless nights thinking about it and save yourself some money. Chris has given you a great start as to a method. I think it would be limited to using your own assistant for maximum effect. If you want my help, just ask. Stay outside of the box and you shall do well my friend.
Chance Wolf Smile
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Now you have a reason to vanish a chair!
Dennis Michael
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
See Dennis; it is just a matter of throwing a few nuts and bolts into the mental cogs, and a goofy idea starts to make sense. Actually, I hope this thread gets deleted as I have an idea that is growing by the minute and Iwant to maybe make it become reality...in partnership with Mark of course. Smile
Chancellor

mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
Exactly. Now I can see what everyone was talking about. Making the chair vanish has some sort of meaning to it. I am totally for new ideas. I thought he just wanted to make a girl and chair vanish.

Mike
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Don't sweat it Mike, we all still love you! Well..you know what I mean..ok..um...yeah.
Smile

Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Give me a little credit here. Whenever an idea is presented, the first question is why? Did I not spark some really good creative juices..

It will no longer be the DeKolta Chaair, it will be gone...Far..Far... Farrr ...away.

Smile
Dennis Michael
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Quote:
On 2003-02-10 17:13, DenDowhy wrote:
Give me a little credit here. Whenever an idea is presented, the first question is why? Did I not spark some really good creative juices..

Too true Dennis. A spark to the creative fire is exactly what you supplied. I guess sometimes it is easier to look at a problem if you know why the problem exists!

By the way, some really great ideas Wolf. Love the "disappearing Girl" sign bit!
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Thanks Chris. I have already gone even further with the idea which may actually be a marketable effect. I will be talking to Mark about it along the way. Funny thing is, he was just throwing the idea out there on a whim. Our small team here is a perfect example of what is typically called a "Think Tank" and we have proven it to work well. Mark the Instigator, Dennis the Challenger, Mike the Optomistic Skeptic, Chris the Dreamer of Hope and myself as the Conglomerator. OK, so I spell pretty bad but ya get the idea and I have had fun with everybody.
Good work folks!
Chance Smile

Oh...if this thing hits the Market and makes a profit...who's going to figure out the Royalty Deal? Any of you do part time accounting? Smile
Chance

ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Quote:
Chris the Dreamer of Hope

Well, I have never been called that before!!

I was doing the math on the royalties, and from what I can gather I am entitled to 110% of the profits (assuming that there is a profit. In the case of a loss I will deny all knowledge of the incident).

OK, so maybe I'm not entitled to anything, but a poor magician has to try!!

Good luck with the development!
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Chris, That made me laugh mee Butt off! As I said...Dreamer of Hope...you can Dream of Hoping to get that Royalty Split! Smile
Chance

magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Charles, LA
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
THis idea was published in an illusion systems book (3-4?) sort of. The Chair disappears and they are sitting on nothing. It is done with timing on the sheet, backdrop placement, and dowels sewn onto your pants.
Jerry the Great
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Jerry the Great
This is one great idea. I would love to see it performed. If (I should say when) this thing gets off the ground, please take some photos for us to see.

Thanks,

PS: wish I'd thought of it! Smile
"What's wrong with you people? Haven't you ever seen a fool before?"

Jerry the Great
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » De Kolta Vanishing Lady Variation? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL