The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » History of this effect: "Marked Though (Mason)"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rick727
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX, USA
188 Posts

Profile of rick727
I am trying to find the source for a magic trick that I have been doing for quite a while. I recently purchased Osterlind's ETMMM and saw the trick on the end of DVD 2. Here is the description:

MARKED THOUGHT (Mason): The mentalist causes a spectator to find the only
matching pairs of ESP symbols while they are face down. This method allows for a
completely free choice and an ordinary deck of ESP cards!

Can anyone shed any light on the source for this effect?

Thanks in advance.

-Rick
Practice what you present.

Present what you practice.
rick727
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX, USA
188 Posts

Profile of rick727
Can anyone offer me any advice on this?

Thanks,
-Rick

HollyMental
View Profile
Elite user
OR
423 Posts

Profile of HollyMental
I can only tell you it was created by Bob Mason. I don’t really know anything about him. I know he wrote a booklet called Prediction, which I believe you can find on eBay. Other than that, his work is in various other compilation works like the Osterlind DVD you mentioned and Sensational Mentalism Volume 4.

I wish I knew more about him. The principle for Marked Thought is ingenious. I’ve played around with it every which way just to be able to explain how it works. Anytime the explanation of something has the words, “I don’t really know why this works…,” I always have to figure it out. I see the principle being used in other stuff, mainly a trick where you tear cards in half and then make them work out so that they end up with their matching halves again. I forget what it’s called.

Sorry. I wish I could be more helpful.

Holly
The devil can advocate for himself.
HollyMental
View Profile
Elite user
OR
423 Posts

Profile of HollyMental
Hey Rick, I just thought of something. You could contact Richard Osterlind about it. I’m sure he’d help you. He’s very knowledgeable about this type of thing. You can go to:

http://www.osterlindmysteries.com

Or got directly to:

http://www.osterlindstore.com

At the bottom right, it says: For questions regarding any of the material offered on this site, please contact Richard Osterlind.

You can click directly on Mr. Osterlind’s name. I’m sure he can tell you more about Bob Mason.

If you find out anything, please post it. I’d like to know myself.

Holly
The devil can advocate for himself.
rick727
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX, USA
188 Posts

Profile of rick727
Holly,
Thanks for the comments. I had not thought of contacting Richard directly. I will probably do that. I have PMed him before and he responded. He is a great guy!

The reason why the trick works is obvious - it is a simple algebraic principle. I do mine slightly different than what Richard uses on his DVD. I use 9 cards, whereas he uses 10. This causes a slight adjustment on the "move" that you use. I think the method I use is easier.

I have built a nice little routine around this trick and I was thinking of putting together an eBook. I wanted to do my due dilligence and ask the inventor for permission before going forward.

Thanks again,
-Rick

MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
Rick, Hello I am the right holder and the publisher for all of the Bob mason Effects. there is a new version we released of marka-thought. The instructions are much clearer. If you have any questions please direct them to me I will be happy to assist. Also More information is available at Myspace Mentalist Creation Laboratory.

Thanks hope this helps
William Cunningham Director of Lab
rick727
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX, USA
188 Posts

Profile of rick727
William,
Thanks for responding. The "Marked Thought" effect is a great effect. I use it a lot. I have created a nice little routine around it that gets good laughs and good reactions. I was contemplating writing my routine up and offering it as an eBook. Since you own the rights I will not be doing that Smile

Good luck with MCL!

-Rick

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » History of this effect: "Marked Though (Mason)"? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL