The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » The most restaurants you had weekly (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
The most I ever performed in weekly is 3. I going to have to work on breaking my record this week.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
11 each week for over 5 years
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
How does it feel being rich? Smile
dlachance
View Profile
Veteran user
Mississippi
344 Posts

Profile of dlachance
Mark,

WOW....how.......

I mean, how do you find time for private shows? What is your schedule like? It seems like this would be the key for me to go full-time, but it was hard enough for me to get 2 restuarants. Do you do balloons at all the restuarants or are some strickley magic? Do you do lunch rush and dinner? Help me understand...

Yes, it's me again, always eager to learn...
Dorian
-Dorian LaChance
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
1 a week as many nights as I want. 1 is the most I ever did.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I've performed as many as 5 different restaurants in week. Now I perform in 2 restaurants, 4 days at one and 1 day at the other.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

[quote]On 2007-09-04 11:00, Dynamike wrote:
How does it feel being rich? Smile
[/quote

Better than poor!!!

Rich is definitely relative. I consider my Dad rich. Net worth about 10 million dollars. He feels poor around his friend the billionaire. Go figure.

BTW daddy has never helped me!!! I did everything I did on my own.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
www.balloonguy.net
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Mark daddy DID help you and helped you a lot.

He gave you your work ethic to go out and make it. So don't tell me you didn't get any help! It was the best help he could ever have given you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Knew I would have to clarify!!!

When I did 11 engagements per week it went like this:
One restaurant was 7 days a week, Two night a week I would have my wife fill in.
Those two days I did 2 other restaurants
2 days a week I did a brunch.

Monday Shells evening
Tuesday Shells evening Wife me at Roadhouse Grill
Wednesday Shells evening
Thursday Shells evening Wife me Joes Crabshack
Friday Shells evening
Saturday Lenny's Brunch Shells evening
Sunday Lenny's Brunch Shells evening

4 / 2 hour gigs + 7 / 3 hour gigs =29 performance hours 4 hours I wasn't doing.

As to doing other gigs I have always had a BBD policy (I got a Bigger Better Deal) with that my restaurants know they get me most of the time not all the time. Restaurant that don't understand that I drop. Your restaurant needs to know there HAS to be talent there weekly. Bi Weekly and occasionally doesn't work.

My current schedule is not as hectic.

I do 5 restaurants with 7 engagements per week. The key is to surround your self with good people. network at your magic clubs. Or create your own group. Find like minded people ... could you put in a balloon artist, or a character artist, or a facepainter to fill the restaurants needs?

Like with any business you need to make decisions .... how much do I need to make? How do I cover my nut?

When I decided to go full time I had an 2 year old, 4 year old and a wife in college. It was scary leaving a 60 plus hour a week job earning $15 + over time per hour, full bennies. But I was miserable and it was a health risk. I would work 18 hours per day doing my regular job and magic. My wife never saw me, I didn't get to see my kids grow up either.

The break point for me was looking at what I earned in magic ..... I was making more money per hour doing magic than working in a factory. The other factor was the praise people loved me when I twisted balloons and did magic. At my real job I never worked fast enough for the boss, my production was low and didn't like the fact my quality got in the way of my quantity.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
www.balloonguy.net
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Most restaurants? 7. Add on my stage show at an amusement park 7 days a week, 3 hotels and a slew of private parties.

Right now I am down to 5 restaurants, amusement park 7 days a week (until Sunday then it goes back down to 3 days a week) and one hotel.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2007-09-04 11:48, Bad to the Balloon wrote:

Rich is definitely relative. I consider my Dad rich. Net worth about 10 million dollars. He feels poor around his friend the billionaire. Go figure.

BTW daddy has never helped me!!! I did everything I did on my own.

Of course you know you and I can make best friends Mark. Smile
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

I think I'm RICH b/c I'm healthy, Married to a beautiful women for almost 4 years, and have a very beautiful 8 month old daughter. That's why I'm RICH!

With that said, I'm very successful with my Magic. Being successful and rich are 2 different things!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
dlachance
View Profile
Veteran user
Mississippi
344 Posts

Profile of dlachance
I have soooooo much to learn about the business side of this monster I have created......

What do you guys do when you get the BBD and you can't be present at the restuarant? Do you have someone fill-in? I ask this becuase that is often not the option here for me......In other words, there isn't the talent pool where I am that there is in other areas......

Dorian
-Dorian LaChance
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I started out at one restaurant 2 nights per week. Then I added another at one night per week. Then a third at one night per week. Did that for several years. Dropped the first two when the 3rd (which was busier, closer and paid more) asked me to come 4 nights per week. I was there for a number of years. Then I worked for a local chain, 5 different locations, each once a week, and a 6th location (about an hour or so away) once a month. Did that for a few years. Took about a year off and then worked at an Applebee's one night a week. I don't do restaurants anymore. I may pick up one in the future when I get the itch. But now I just do private gigs when the money is more than what I can refuse.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Dorian,

It's all about relationships with your restaurant and it's management...owners. I have it contracted with ALL restautants that is the BBD comes along, that I will be dark that night. The restaurant advertises my act witha disclaimer stating that due to my popularity, there may be nights where my show will be dark. I've never had an issue with this.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-09-04 12:13, Dannydoyle wrote:
Mark daddy DID help you and helped you a lot.

He gave you your work ethic to go out and make it. So don't tell me you didn't get any help! It was the best help he could ever have given you.

Yes I do agree.... usually when people hear about my Dad, They think my life was handed to me. My parents immigrated to this country in the 1960's with nothing but a strong back. They fought so hard to make it and to stay in this country finally becoming American citizens. This was compounded by having a very sick child (ME) They did it legally and still with much strife. Personally it pains me to see so many people circumvent the system and breach our borders. It was also one of the reasons for me going into the Military. I felt I owed my country some service.

My Dad & Mom divorced over 20 years ago. Dad's new wife is a smart lady, which I guess makes my Dad smarter. They made their money in real estate, something I just couldn't get interested in.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
www.balloonguy.net
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
3 in one week. This on top of working a part time job 4 days a week. That's about all I could take. Currently, I'm 2 a week.
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
How many different places? ....4 different restuarants at once.
But when I started I was working a full time job and two restaurants on the weekends.

I think some of you are confusing How many times a week you work and how many different places you work.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
On 2007-09-06 04:00, kammagic wrote:
How many different places? ....4 different restuarants at once.
But when I started I was working a full time job and two restaurants on the weekends.

I think some of you are confusing How many times a week you work and how many different places you work.

7 different places a week.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
.........currently. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » The most restaurants you had weekly (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL