The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Astonishment Project Credits (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
576 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
Hey, I am writing this message assuming the best, but I'm worried. I have seen a couple products from the Astonishment project that to me are others routines. I don't own them so I'm not sure that they are credited, my sincere hopes are that they are credited. First I hope that one of our own, Eric Jones a.k.a. Godhandz is credited along with Danny Garcia and Dan Garrett and others for some of an effect that They've put out. The effect can be found here www.theastonishmentproject.com. I think it bears a remarkable resemblance to Eric Jones' Imagination production found here www.mysticaldeceptions.com. Sure there are differences, but I think that's where the idea came from or he should be credited.

Also on the first page for the UV nightshades, one of the bones effect is the spinning pen. Which I learned in Mike Powers' book Power plays and it's the exact thing demoed. I am curious to hear if anyone of these creators were asked or credited in these. So if you are a creator please add to the forum, if you've purchased them please add as well.

I am excited about the Astonishment project but hope it's not another Penguin, or Ellusionist with Paul Harris' name. Please tell me I'm wrong

Pete
The magician formerly known as SPEEDcuber
"no one will believe the things we do if we don't believe them ourselves." - Slydini
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
I noticed the same thing about the coin production/vanish they're calling "X-OR". Notified Eric last night.

Who's behind the Astonishment Project?
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
Looks like this guy named Jason Messina is.

http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic......forum=41
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
576 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
I know Paul Harris' name is all over it. I can only assume he's got soemthing to do with it, that's why I'm worried, I don't want his name to be dragged in all this if he isn't running it. I don't want it to be a Penguin shop with his name. I am worried about it. I love the man, but I'm worried.

Pete
"no one will believe the things we do if we don't believe them ourselves." - Slydini
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
The Astonishment Demo's handling seems amateurish compared to Eric's. His moves are way more fluid and undetectable. I'd hate for the copy to become more known than the original, due to Harris' name.
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
Just a note with regards to the spinning pen. If it is Mark Allen's Handling, which I bet it is (due to the fact that he helped with the DVD), he came up with that years ago. Remember the EM Pocket Charger?

On a side note: UV Nightshades looks killer!

Corey
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Podcastrant,

I'm really digging the new avatar.

I got a PM this morning from Curtis about this. I like the back and front shows of the hand on the demo as well as the instant production and vanishes. However, I'd love to see some credits listed if none are already on the DVD. My Imagination certainly comes to mind. Danny Garcia tells me he also independently created what he calls his "OK Production" from his first set of lecture notes. But the research I've done traced the move back to Dan Garret'ts American Ninga Spellbound and goes as far back as the late 70's early 90's in a set of Jeff White lecture notes.

If the guy who came up with the variants of the clip has already done his homework and credited any of the people who have worked on it, then terrific. If not, I'm hoping things can be cleared up without creating a mess. As I've always said, it's the responsibility of the "creator" to do any necessary research before releasing a particular effect. Once he's exhausted all possibilities, then he should seek out people who are more knowledgeable than himself to verify his claims.
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
Cool, thanks for the clarification. Looks like we're getting heated too early. We'll have to wait and see what credits, if any, the final product has. Just a note for people in the community that put out videos, look at the ending credits for David Stone's 2-volume Coin Magic series. Now that's how you credit. Smile

Glad you like the new pic and I look forward to getting up with in two weeks.

See ya then.

Hey SPEEDcuber, are you coming down to Charlotte for the close-up convention?
Jason Messina
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of Jason Messina
Hello Everyone,
I would like to clear a few things up. I do in fact run The Astonishment Project and am partners with Paul Harris on this. As you can imagine we both strive to carry items that provide proper crediting and are not re-hashes of old or previously published items.
I'd like to thank everyone for bringing to my attention the fact that this may not have the proper crediting. I am in the process of researching this but as of this time it has been removed from our site until I am satisfied that it does show the proper credit to the above mentioned people.
In the future the best way to handle this (and quickest) is to contact me directly at jason@theastonishmentproject.com. I have already spoken to Eric personally and assured him that the product wouldn't remain on the site until it was clear about the origins and crediting.
As for the effect Spinner on the UltraVisual Nightshades DVD, it is a really great method that can be done with a borrowed pen. As far as I know this is a new handling that hasn't been done before. Neither I nor Paul are familiar with the Mike Wild method but if it turns out that this is the same handling then I can assure you that it will be handled appropriately. Can Mike's handling be done with a borrowed pen?
I'm not sure what the comment about being a "Penguin" type magic shop refers to so I can't really respond to that.
Any other questions or comments please feel free....

Best,
Jason Messina
The Astonishment Project
http://theastonishmentproject.com
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Thank you for jumping right on this, Jason. I noticed that this DVD is carried by Murphy's Magic, and following up on their site you can see that the DVD is actually produced by a Japanese company called "Heavenz Kool". This would explain some of the odd diction in the ad copy.

Do you know if The Astonishment Project is the only company/site carrying this DVD?

Who is "Heavenz Kool"?
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Jason Messina
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of Jason Messina
Hello Curtis,
The DVD is being carried by Murphy's Magic so any dealer (pretty much everyone) could have it in stock. The DVD DOES NOT credit anyone. We will not carry it until future editions of the DVD contain the proper credits. Not being a coin guy it might be useful for someone knowledgable in coin work to take a look at the DVD to see what needs to be credited.
I don't know anything about Heavenz Kool but I can find out contact information if someone wants to contact the company.

Best,
Jason
The Astonishment Project
http://theastonishmentproject.com
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
576 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
Jason,
I appreciate your quick response. I was unaware you ran it and didn't know who to ask or who to contact. I'm glad I posted it and found out. I'm glad you care about crediting. I said in the original post I just wanted to make sure it was on there, not accusing you. After dealing with you in this matter I'm glad to hear you're running it. I also made the comment that it was Mike Powers' handling of moving an object, he does it with a straw so I was incorrect on that handling, but being unaware of how the pen works it might be worth it to PM me or look it up in Mike's book Power Plays. I also made the comment about being like penguin magic. Penguin is notorious for explaining others effects on a DVD without proper crediting and sub par teaching for other's effects, I am very happy The Astonishment Project is not like that, you've made me a happy man. I will definantly email you with any other concerns or questions and feel free to PM me about any questions. Thanks!

Podconstrant, I will be in Charlotte for some of the times, I have jobs that are hindering me being there but I'm looking forward to meeting you there.

Pete
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Apparently, it's stil for sale at Hocus Pocus
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Won the battle....lost the war.....I guess I'll give Mr. Trono a call for some perspective on this.
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
Let us know how it pans out. Frankly, I don't feel the need to spend my money anywhere that carries this.
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
576 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
I agree, Sorry to hear that Eric. best of luck on your venture and let me know if I can help in any way.

Pete
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
So....any response from Tim?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Astonishment Project Credits (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL