The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Workshop too? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Does any one add a workshop after they are done performing? I tried it before, but it is not my style. I stick with the hour magic show.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Never with a kid show. I did workshops when I performed for a magic club. A "teach a trick" as Mark Wilson calls them is a fun thing sometimes to show a kid, like his cork through cork trick,or his little rope knot without letting go of the ends. But not a workshop. I generally prefer someone to take a little effort to pursue magic instruction before getting to the level of a workshop.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Cesar Munoz
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Cesar Munoz
On that rare occasion where the parent doesn't want me to do balloon animals--I've suggested a 15 minute magic workshop instead. I've gotten really good results with it the times that I've done it. Don't try to teach them a lot--just try to teach them one or two things--but take the time to make sure they all get it. Hopping Rubber bands is one of the tricks that I've used.
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Workshops? not about Magic but Im having one on November in case you are in Manila Smile

Workshop for Birthday Party Emcees (Party Hosts is the term we use in Manila Smile )

http://wanluthemagician.blogspot.com/200......hop.html
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hey, Mike:

Although I have the same concerns as Photius about kids committing to the Art of Magic, I do offer workshops as an upsell (or as an incentive to induce a sale). Yeah, yeah, that makes me a sell out Smile , but the workshops consist of slum Magic and always include The Magician's Oath. [I will practise, never do the same trick twice for the same audience, and never reveal a trick's secret.]

Offering these workshops has been a mixed bag. Some parents have cancelled the workshop after the show, usually for younger kids with too-short attention spans; one client (in a ritzy area, natch) announced "cake and ice cream" IMMEDIATELY after the finale and then stiffed me for the workshop fee! On the other hand, I've been pleasantly surprised on occasion by kids that are really into Magic. There was one little guy who actually did a pretty good Matrix effect!

Bottom line: Little effort is required to offer a workshop, some parents like having the option, and it's another way to market myself after the show. It's worthwhile for me.

Leland
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Workshop too? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL