The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism Workshop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
splice
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1246 Posts

Profile of splice
Quote:

Mathematical throw-away:
Think of a number between 1 and 10. Multiply it by 9. You should have a two-digit number in mind now. Add the digits.
THE NUMBER YOU ARE NOW THINKING OF IS 9.

I would rather you didn't spread this around. It's not at all a simple "throw-away" but rather can be part of miracles with the proper presentation.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I agree with you Splice. I will not feel comfortable giving away the other one either that was described. I can see it would look wrong for someone to perform with that art and next show it does have a secret to it. I am leaning toward the optical illusions.
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2007-09-06 14:49, splice wrote:
Quote:

Mathematical throw-away:
Think of a number between 1 and 10. Multiply it by 9. You should have a two-digit number in mind now. Add the digits.

I would rather you didn't spread this around. It's not at all a simple "throw-away" but rather can be part of miracles with the proper presentation.

Splice:

I agree with you that it is better to err on the side of care, but the concept of divisibility by 9s (or "casting out 9s") is taught in grade school.

On the other hand, practically ANYTHING, in the right hands or minds, can be "part of miracles." I can think of at least two effects right now that are PARTIALLY based on the concept, yet you need MUCH MORE in order to construct those effects. Even if one knows about casting out 9s, the entire effects are still well hidden by the working of other methods and the well-dressed presentations.

To me, the continued use of the 1089 force, for example, is ludicrous, but I guess to each his own standard.

I am glad (read "relieved") that Dynamike has chosen not to give his "mentalism workshop."
:D
Arnon
Jaime
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Jaime
Quote:
On 2007-09-06 14:49, splice wrote:
Quote:

Mathematical throw-away:

I'm not sure about what proper presentation you are thinking of, but back when I was in school we were taught to learn the multiplication tables of 9 by substracting 1 to the number to multiply to get the first digit, and subtracting the first figure from 9 to get the second digit:

9x7? ==> 7-1=6 and 9-6=3 so 9x7=63

So that kind of mentalism wouldn't impress much kids who learned their multiplication tables that way.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2007-09-06 15:25, arnon wrote:

I am glad (read "relieved") that Dynamike has chosen not to give his "mentalism workshop."
:D
Arnon

I am glad too Arnon. And I am glad I stood up and asked the questions to get your opinions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism Workshop (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL