The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Ok..its probably the dumbest post ever.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
774 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
Ok, I think I'm ready to purchase my first set of doves;BUT....i had a question..i have an 11 month old daughter who is not allergic to anything, but I know that pet dander is bad for babies and I couldn't get an iguana yet because of some bacteria issues with reptiles...anyway, are doves harmful to babies,,,yeah we could perform for children but we don't live with them...hope I'm making sense.

Posted: Sep 12, 2007 4:55pm
Correction: "we could perform for children"
J Rodriguez
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Well,i don't think this would be a problem as long as you keep the doves' cages clean. Give them mist baths and keep em healthy with the right food. Babies are very sensitive as their immune systems are not as strong as ours but I really don't think it'll affect your lil angel. Keep the doves outside, in the basement and away from your tiny tot if it bothers you alot. Hope this helps.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Kyle is correct. One bird should not be a problem as long as you don't keep it in the same room with the baby. If you can keep it outside or in a garage, all the better.
Where the magic begins
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
If it helps your feelings, my wife is a physician and performs dove magic for and with children. Doves are relatively clean compared to humans. Baths help us all! LOL

The dust from the dove feed is easily avoided or controlled if you will pour the feed from the bag it comes in into a container outdoors and let the wind blow the dust away as it is poured.

In a lifetime of exposure, my kids (22 and 25) are surviving well. My son is playing baseball at age 25 and my daughter is dancing for a Colorado Ballet Company and a leading professional horse trainer. Both have very good lungs.

Your concern is impressive. As a lobbyist for children, I like parents who care.

Enjoy your kids and your dove magic.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
774 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
Thanks for the feedback fellas,,,i appreciate it.

Posted: Sep 13, 2007 2:08pm
I now live in Idaho and I don't think the cold will be good for the dove. Am I right? And I also heard that if you put a dark blanket over the cage the dove will stop cooing.
J Rodriguez
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
As long as the water doesn't freeze so they can't drink, they should do OK.

Like chickens, doves go to sleep in the dark.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
You'll want to make sure the dove is protected from any wind, too. Just like for humans, wind plus cold is much worse than just cold.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
The temperature here in New Jersey drops below zero in the winter with snow and the doves are just fine. As Gordon pointed out though, you must keep them out of drafts and the wind. Darkness is usually quiet time for doves but it's not unusual for my birds to coo during the night. You can never be completely sure. Doves are the craziest people you know.
Where the magic begins
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
774 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
You right about new jersey, I lived for the 10 years,,miss it dearly. I'm glad to hear that the doves won't harm my daughter and that I can keep my doves in the garage...
J Rodriguez
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
If it gets extremely cold where you are and you have them in your garage, you could set up a lamp just outside the cage. It's amazing how much heat comes from a light bulb and it's just enough to keep the chill off. You will still have to check the water for freezing though.
Where the magic begins
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Welcome to the world of Dove magic my friend. The members here are sure to make your experience meaningful. Still owe many thanks to Autumn Morning star and Dave. Thanks guys!
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
My pleasure, Kyle. Glad I can help
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Ok..its probably the dumbest post ever.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL