The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » U3F2? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I agree Chris and it's a refreshing attitude aye!
Mick
viris
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of viris
Quote:
On 2007-10-30 13:54, Thomas Wayne wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-10-30 04:16, Magic Spank wrote:
[...] Do you eat with that mouth?

Yes... and I also kiss your mother with it.

TW

WOW, I can only hope he is a part of your family, if not you need to be "takin' outside" for a beating. Sorry for this small rant but talking about someone's mother is uncalled for.
Magic Spank
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas
320 Posts

Profile of Magic Spank
Don't worry, my mother is dead. He can kiss her all he wants.

I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't like 3 fly.

I don't think audiences think much of it either, it looks like you're just hiding a coin in the back of the other coins. Kind of sliding them around. I've seen Kenner do it and yes, tons of other people and several versions of it and to me it's just magical masturbation. I think if the audience applaudes it's only because they're glad it's over.

I agree also that there's no need to release another version. Much less get undies all in a bundle about who did or didn't invent it. The trick pretty much sucks IMHO. But then again, I don't like coin magic that involves more than 1 coin. It's just confusing coin juggling to me. Asher's version with the chips is the only version that I ever found effective because of the different colors. And that one doesn't require any gimmicks.

To each his own I guess.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Normally I would agree. I don;t even do a 3fly ( although I have worked on kainoas )

but I like bob's version of the trick. so for me its not about the plot but a single version that I find to be very good
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Its this simple gentlemen.... some like it ...some don't! If you don't like it....don't buy it! If you like it...buy it...its your money or mine after all. We cannot force upon each other what each one should like or dislike. Some have the knack of making an otherwise boring effect into a magical experience...and some turn a miracle into a mere puzzle. It all boils down to personal preference and respect.

You got that right Magic Spank...To each his own indeed.

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Magic Spank, in Bob's, there is no question or thought from the spectator that there is an extra coin hidden, or coins are being slid around. It looks so clean and Magical, the fact you can show everything so clean, free and open just make it look Magical. I look forward to anything new brought to this routine
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Quote:
On 2007-10-31 05:23, Magic Spank wrote:
...it looks like you're just hiding a coin in the back of the other coins. Kind of sliding them around. I've seen Kenner do it and yes, tons of other people and several versions of it and to me it's just magical masturbation. ...

From talking with Bob, I think he would agree with your assessment of 3 Fly. In fact, he says so here:

Quote:
On 2007-10-27 02:57, Bob Kohler wrote:
...I didn't consider doing any 3 Fly professionally and I tried them all until I worked out U3F. My performing style is test conditions. U3F was the first practical routine that allows the magician the ability to show "clean" with only 3 coins after each coin travels. I only worked on the routine from ideas Chris, Gary Kurtz and Daryl showed me years before....

From experience, I agree with both quotes above. To be brutally honest, I have found U3F to be an excellent routine to perform for the people who are intent on "always burning your other hand" or are trying to figure out where you "get the extra coin". They particularly get crushed by this routine because they can handle the coins before and after the routine, and throughout the routine they get to see only 3 coins extremely clean, dispelling any thought of an extra coin.

Of course you could blast through the routine and lose all the benefits of U3F. I have found this routine works better if you slow it down and let everything register, and take time to show the impossibility of it.
Click to visit:
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2007-10-31 11:17, Dan Watkins wrote:...Of course you could blast through the routine and lose all the benefits of U3F.

Or if Bob's latest offers some novel and extensible methodology one could use the componants which serve in ones own original routine/presenations - which would also address the issue raised earlier.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
If you have not seen Bob Kohler's version ( his original ) then you need to see that and perform it before judging ALL 3 Fly routines. The audience is shown 3 coins. The aduience is GIVEN 3 coins to examine and then the magic happens. However they "think" it works is cancelled out and they are amazed.

I never thought much of 3 Fly until I saw and then bought Bob's version.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
978 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Having been a "cardman" most of my time in magic, it was Bob's U3F that changed my opinion of coin magic; the second was Dean's Triangle. Now much of my practice time is with coins. Looking forward to U3F2
oumagicman
View Profile
New user
oklahoma
7 Posts

Profile of oumagicman
Rannie,
thank you for your post, and thank you for your contribution to magic. I love to watch you do everything you do, including 3 fly / Bfly. We all have our opinions about what is and isn't magic. I know people who won't use a sh*** or a TT or any gaff. What is important is, when you are performing for people, that they are entertained. That is it. Nothing else. if you can get them to suspend disbelief for a moment and experience the magic, you have done something. I have done this with CFWM coins (my own routine that isn't 3fly and was in no way inspired by JT) dan does this with his VERY expensive gold copper silver brass. sencilio, one coin in the hand of Slydini, whatever. The effect on the audience guys, that is what we care about, remember?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2007-10-31 14:19, oumagicman wrote:... if you can get them to suspend disbelief for a moment and experience the magic, you have done something. I have done this with CFWM coins (my own routine ...

Bingo, that's how to evolve the magic that suits you and serves your audiences. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2007-10-31 05:23, Magic Spank wrote:
Asher's version with the chips is the only version that I ever found effective because of the different colors. And that one doesn't require any gimmicks.

That is why Asher's is the only one I do:). It gets used quite often, especially at larger tables. The lay folk love it!
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » U3F2? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL