The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Impossible Matrix by John Kennedy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hockey
View Profile
Regular user
canada
107 Posts

Profile of hockey
Is this a good trick? Easy to figure out? Can be performed many a time? Thanx to all who reply.
EvanAndrews
View Profile
Regular user
California
128 Posts

Profile of EvanAndrews
Great effect. Really nice!
????.....Yeah
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Yes. H*ll No. Yes. These answers are the same for 99.9% of John Kennedy's products. He's one of the cleverest guys in magic.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Ditto. John is an INCREDIBLE inventor, and his Impossible Matrix is great. His card stab and Mystery Box are fantastic as well (although card stab may be too messy for some professional performing environments). I've performed a card in box routine for 25 years, and avoided the Mystery Box when it first came out because I really dislike props that don't look like everyday objects, but finally figured a way around that for the Mystery Box and it's one of the strongest effects I perform now. Oh yeah, the topic was Incredible Matrix...it's extremely effective, easy, and will last.
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
704 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
One of the easiest matrix effects you will come across, but also one of the best.
Tony Chapparo
hockey
View Profile
Regular user
canada
107 Posts

Profile of hockey
thanx for the reply Smile Smile
eebie376
View Profile
Elite user
415 Posts

Profile of eebie376
I love it...no one will ever figure it out!
chrisa86
View Profile
New user
Columbia, SC
3 Posts

Profile of chrisa86
I saw the demo of it on penguin magic once, and figured it out. Nice idea, but too easy to figure out. I'f i were you id learn a good non-gimmicked version. I like to be able to hand the cards and coins out at the end, without switcvhing them. I do a good matrix routine with no extra coins and a suprise ending. But that's just my opinion.
Life without mystery, is as meaningless as a snuffed out candle. -Mark Twain
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
JKennedy has a history of consistant and elegant problem solving in closup magic. His findings and products are within the means of the average magician. That is quite an accomplishment.

I was there in 78 when the card stab was demonstrated. The reaction among the knowlegable and well known experts in closeup magic was appreciation and approval.

A good read of the postings about John Kennedy seems to filter down to two ideas.

First is that he is a lousy performer who seems more involved getting through the tricks than letting an audience appreciate them. This is tolerable for magicians watching someone demonstrate their discoveries though hardly a good example of how to use his discoveries effectivly in performing conditions.

Second and more positively is a great rumbling sense of appreciation of this guy's creativity. He has taken a novel and direct and workable approach to create every product. His creamer pour gimmick, his stealth retractor and his box for card/bill appearances all have their place.

I get lost sometimes wondering if folks are complaining about their lack of imagination regarding how to apply the mechanics JK supplies or complaining that the inventor is not a great performer. Both seem to lose track of the options his products make available to the performer.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

JonTown, I agree with you that Kennedy is extremely creative, and disagree that he's a lousy performer. I performed with him for years at the Brook Farm Inn of Magic, and performed a number of private gigs with him years ago, and can tell you that he slayed lay audiences. I haven't seen him perform for laymen in years so maybe he's changed but I doubt it. In any event, I agree with you that it doesn't matter how good or poor a performer he is because when buying his or anyone else's products magicians shouldn't plan on buying that person's performance of the product.
gandolf
View Profile
Loyal user
Hillsborough,NC
236 Posts

Profile of gandolf
Add my name to the list of those who think this is a wonderful illusion. Very easy to perform, and gets great reactions. Yes it may be easy for a magician to figure out having seen it multiple times, but I doubt the layman would be able to during a performance.
Larry, is the Brook Farm Inn of Magic still there? I used to live in McLean years ago, and went there many times.
Smile
hockey
View Profile
Regular user
canada
107 Posts

Profile of hockey
Thanx for reply Smile
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

gandolf, no, unfortunately the Brook Farm Inn is no more. And most of the magicians who performed there have moved, but Bob Sheets still lives in D.C. and I see him frequently. Did you ever see John Kennedy perform there? I don't recall him ever performing his Impossible Matrix at the Inn, but he did perform other routines which were very well received, including a hilarious Hades Finger Chopper routine. Again, just to stay on topic, I'll repeat my support for his matrix, although I don't perform it or any other matrix effect because I personally view the effect as nothing more than a coins across routine and I perform my own coins across to a specator's hand without using a card which is much more effective, for my anyway.
Mugician
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Mugician
I too watched this trick being performed on Penguin Magic and figured it out. But I watched it a couple of times and I think that most lay persons would not catch the gimmick of this trick. I just received it yesterday and will practice it tonight. I'll let you know how I make out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Impossible Matrix by John Kennedy (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL