The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Dispelling the notion of a stooge (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
When calling an assistant from the audience, and then successfully reading their mind in a book test, it is possible some in the audience may suspect the assistant was a stooge. Here are a few possible ways to dispel that notion:

1) When choosing a volunteer, with your back to the crowd toss a ball into the audience and whoever catches it is your assistant. This makes it totally random, but the possible disadvantage is an unwilling or poor quality assistant.

2) Choose a willing, 'good quality' volunteer, but request that she bring her friend or husband onstage with her to support her 'in case she gets a bit shocked by this experiment.' This way not only do you get her amazed reaction when you succeed in reading her mind, (which in itself helps to dispel notions of a stooge), but then as she and her husband are walking off stage he will be gesturing to her asking her how she feels, what it was like, etc, and she will be shrugging her shoulders. and this is probably even more convincing, and is at least that much more dramatic.

3) Maybe I'm running when no one is chasing me, and maybe I'm thinking too much like a magician, because no one's ever made the accusation of 'stooge' when I've done this before, except when I'm mixing slapstick with mentalism and they call me 'Moe'.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2007-09-25 23:42, todsky wrote:
1) When choosing a volunteer, with your back to the crowd toss a ball into the audience and whoever catches it is your assistant. This makes it totally random, but the possible disadvantage is an unwilling or poor quality assistant.

How about this:

If the audience member who catches it shows an unwillingness or other poor attitude in being a volunteer by his or her body language, without you skipping a beat, have them throw the ball behind them to someone else. At least this way you have a bit more control over who will participate, and at the same time, you make it look even more random. Smile

Arnon
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank you for the tips Todsky.
mentalv
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of mentalv
Lol good thinking! but how would you do it if you were doing it 4real?

oh I know! call a random person up to help! lol
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On 2007-09-25 23:42, todsky wrote:
When calling an assistant from the audience, and then successfully reading their mind in a book test, it is possible some in the audience may suspect the assistant was a stooge. Here are a few possible ways to dispel that notion:

2) Choose a willing, 'good quality' volunteer, but request that she bring her friend or husband onstage with her to support her 'in case she gets a bit shocked by this experiment.' This way not only do you get her amazed reaction when you succeed in reading her mind, (which in itself helps to dispel notions of a stooge), but then as she and her husband are walking off stage he will be gesturing to her asking her how she feels, what it was like, etc, and she will be shrugging her shoulders. and this is probably even more convincing, and is at least that much more dramatic.

3) Maybe I'm running when no one is chasing me, and maybe I'm thinking too much like a magician, because no one's ever made the accusation of 'stooge' when I've done this before, except when I'm mixing slapstick with mentalism and they call me 'Moe'.

a few more

4.) Don't say "thank you Mommy" as you walk her off stage.

5.) Don't hand the participant a large wad of cash insight of the rest of the audience.

6.) Don't yell "Mindfreak" at the end of the bit.

7.) Don't call the particiant Larry, Moe, Shimp, or any variation of Joe.
howdoidisconnect
View Profile
Elite user
Just outside the cafe window
429 Posts

Profile of howdoidisconnect
If you throw a ball, and it doesn't land on someone that looks very happy about it, ask them to throw it again. Then you can always ask if everyone happy about the choice, if the majority says it's ok. then you're off.

also if someone is being difficult, why not say something like,..no this isn't going to work with you I don't think, (judging by their reaction of either..yeah your right, or oh I want to carry on) you are either whipping them into line or allowing you to choose another one.

My view is that not every effect works on every spectator, that goes the same with almost anything. if there not looking very willing after getting up there, have a stare into their eyes and say..no I don't think this is going to work with you.

People who want to think its a stooge will think that no matter what, look at the discussion on here regarding some of Derren Brown's stuff, if it looks impossible crying stooge is the easiest way out
I do look forward to the day when you post something constructive.
-Tony Iacoviello
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
"We haven't met or arranged anything, have we?"
"No."
"Great, just like rehearsed.!"

Greg Wilson would be in my gang anyday.
[
howdoidisconnect
View Profile
Elite user
Just outside the cafe window
429 Posts

Profile of howdoidisconnect
Quote:
On 2007-09-26 16:36, Tony Iacoviello wrote:

Quote of the day!
I do look forward to the day when you post something constructive.
-Tony Iacoviello
jquackc
View Profile
Loyal user
JC - Denver
218 Posts

Profile of jquackc
Quote:
On 2007-09-26 16:36, Tony Iacoviello wrote:

a few more

4.) Don't say "thank you Mommy" as you walk her off stage.

5.) Don't hand the participant a large wad of cash insight of the rest of the audience.

7.) Don't call the particiant Larry, Moe, Shimp, or any variation of Joe.

I'm taking notes, Tony.
JC

www.jquackc.com
myspace.com/jquackc

It's coming...QUACK... a new ebook from the fallible mind of JC... April 2048... groundbreaking material... limited edition... only 200 will be sold. Starting at $47... Preorder your copy toda
kosmoshiva
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
255 Posts

Profile of kosmoshiva
I had the 'ball toss' backfire on me once. They threw it right back at me.
Don't forget to breathe.
burst
View Profile
Veteran user
Memphis, TN
308 Posts

Profile of burst
I perform mentalism on myself pretty often, usually dual reality effects. If you need any routines in case that happens again, shoot me a PM.

/paul.f
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Dispelling the notion of a stooge (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL