The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Glue for foam (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Can anybody recomend a good glue for attatching foam to foam?
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3043 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
The answer is going to vary depending on the type of foam you're using and how srong the joint wants to be: is it foam rubber, rigid plastic foam (the white stuff), Styrofoam (the blue stuff), florist's foam (the green stuff), etc? Generally, an open-celled foam can be glued with good old white glue, but a closed-cell foam needs something more like contanct cement or 3M Spray 77.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
DAP makes a water-based contact cement for styrofoam that might work on other types of foam.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
It is the type of foam you would see in a plastic gun case. A soft padded case type of foam. doesn't need a really strong bond, just need to keep it from moving around, more of an anchor.

Thanks
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Check through this list of spray adhesives from 3M. 77 can be found many places (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.). Hancock Fabrics carries a few of the others, including foam-specific. I've used a few different ones from the list and always with great results.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
I'm gluing some foam together also, a bit of styrofoam to make an anvil gag I cooked up for trick or treaters this Halloween.

(It involves a real anvil on the front porch, horn down just outside a target, and a BIG anvil swinging from a tiny rope above the target. Plus a sign that will read "Pull rope for treats," and a voice loop something like "there's another one ... CUT THE ROPE! CUT THE ROPE!")

The big anvil, of course, will be carved of foam. I don't feel like hauling a real one upstairs Smile
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2007-10-02 22:13, Leland Stone wrote:

The big anvil, of course, will be carved of foam. I don't feel like hauling a real one upstairs Smile

...twice. (Have a sense of humor, please.) Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3043 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
This reminds me of a stage gag I wanted to do in a show, but it turned out we didn't need it. The idea was that a character would be pounding a sword on a large anvil with a huge hammer. Then, at one point, a character would need to tie down a large rope, so he would pick up the anvil like it was a lightweight stage prop, move it to where he needed it, tie the rope to it, and pull it tight.

Maybe I'll get to do it in another show sometime.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
For contrast, have what should be a light weight object actually filled with bricks or iron. Thought it would be fun to have 2 cases, one small but extremely heavy, while the other appears to be a large crate, but actually made of balsa or foamcore. Have a big guy struggle to move the small case, while a little kid moves the crate with no problems.

I have a couple large steel balls that someone gave me (3" and 6"). I desperately want to make one of them look like a sponge ball.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
The arts and crafts store 'Michaels' carries a glue specifically for foam, and tons of glues for everything else. There are several locations in VA.
Aim To Amaze
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3043 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Hi, Michael,

Just thinking out loud... on that steel ball you want to look like a sponge ball. How about coating it with that liquid latex product used for dipping tool handles, and then, just before it dries, tapping it lightly with a real foam sponge to raise the texture? You'd have to do the ball in two or three sections, but it might work. You might also have to use a good primer on it to get the latex to stick.
www.georgefledo.net

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Some time ago, I actually tried to flock it with a fine ground scenic material used for model railroads (glued on, but I don't recall what kind of adhesive I used). Problem was, the ball is so darn heavy that when I would move on to another area, the side that was down would rub away just due to the force of the weight.

The stippling idea just might work. Matching the color might pose a problem. I kind of wanted to ring it into a sponge routine while seated at a table. It should match.

Oh, well... I think of lots of useless ideas. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Fabrison
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Fabrison
Why don't you try 3M foam aheadsive, it comes in a spray can, spray both parts, wait a few minutes, just like contact cement
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Glue for foam (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL