The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Genii Review of S.A.D. - Very harsh! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Julian Kestrel
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of Julian Kestrel
Quote:
On 2007-10-06 09:56, johnjnesbit wrote:
Would someone who has the review by Swiss of Looch's book, be willing to post it (anywhere) so it could be read by the members of the Café ? This thread reads very cryptic to those of us who have not yet read the, "notorious opinion".

I like Looch and his work very much.

Best
John

To Post a copy of the review would be a violaion of both Mr. Swiss' and GenII's copyright
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
To post the specific comments referenced in previous posts would constitute fair use as it is the subject of discussion and analysis. In this context, I would be interested to see what Swiss has said to invoke such ire, and it would be neither inappropriate nor illegal for someone who has the hard copy to post extracts.

Phill
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
I just read the review. I seriously considered not posting my thoughts, as to do so means that the eventual hard-copy of Switchcraft will never receive a favorable review in Genii. That said, I’ll take the hit and speak my mind. I suppose there’s always Magic Magazine.

Whether or not the reviewer liked the book, the barrage of insults and incredible condescension were way out of line.

For instance:

“The depth of the author’s illiteracy rattles one’s head between hilarious and tragic”

“In short the production values amount to a textbook case of perfume on a pig”

“Works in Progress and Idea Bubbles – read: useless trash that likely came to mind in a fever dream”

“…he assures us will be quickly forgotten….
Like this book”

(What kind of horrible comment is that??!!! It was totally uncalled for, in my opinion.)

I could go on and on, but the whole review reads just like the above quotations. You have to see it in its entirety to get the full impact.

In addition, the review includes a complete exposure of an effect. It is true that many aspects of the effect are “classic,” but, as far as I know, 1.5 parts are new, and those were also exposed. That’s just not right.

The review criticizes that effect for something that is a staple of billet work and is present in routines by Bob Cassidy, Barrie Richardson, Allen Zingg, Stuart Cumberland, Annemann and many others. Myself, I have gotten away with it countless times.

The reviewer’s other criticism of that effect can be easily addressed by introducing something I call “The Phenomenal xxxxx Billet Alternative.” Of course, even without the ploy, Looch’s original method was fine for Annemann, Boarde, Cumberland and many others. I’ve used that approach, unmodified, many times.

Finally, a peek case is recommended in one sentence, but the best such device is called a “silly overpriced toy” in the next. I didn’t get that part.

Mr. Swiss clearly did not like the book, and he is most definitely entitled to his opinion. However, he should have expressed it without resorting to petty insults and exposure.

I realize that these comments may be a very bad move for the future of Switchcraft, but I felt that I had to speak up.

Elliott
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Elliott

I commend you on your posting. Standing up for what you believe is an admirable trait.

Tony
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Hmmmm, maybe this Swiss is just trying to boost sales of Geneii by being like "Simon from American Idol" to the magic/mentalist community.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Elliott wrote:
Quote:
I seriously considered not posting my thoughts, as to do so means that the eventual hard-copy of Switchcraft will never receive a favorable review in Genii.

I think that speaking the truth is more important than "future reviews" in Genii. The latter are not all that important in selling to the mentalist community anyway, though there is no question that they will boost sales to magical hobbyists. I have never promoted my works via the mainstream magic magazines, nor have I sold them via distributors; I'm still old fashioned enough to believe that there is some value in not scattering secrets as widely as humanly possible. I'd rather that my material were read exclusively by those who seek it out than by "as many as possible".

I may generate a little less revenue with this approach. But if my principal goal were to make money with my writings, I wouldn't target the mentalism market in the first place!

My most recent book is selling more quickly than any of my previous publications (all of which have been well received by their intended audiences), and its only formal exposure has been brief mentions on a handful of mentalist-specific forums; there have been no official reviews in any magazines, no advertisements, and no promotion to dealers.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Congratulations!!!

I really liked your original Mindsights and will soon wish to pick up the sequel.

By the way, on a second read of the SAD review, I realized that Mr. Swiss may have misunderstood the effect he criticized.

He represented the effect as if the drawing is handed out at the end. This is clear from the reviewer’s sentence containing the following text “so thoroughly that it will not be recognizable later.” Of course, for reasons I won’t go into, that makes no sense.

My understanding of the instructions was that the drawing is displayed, but not handed out for inspection. I don’t remember the instructions ever mentioning handing it back.

I think that distinction would make a big difference in one’s assessment of the effect’s ability to fool a participant.

Elliott
Esjay Dee
View Profile
Loyal user
Halls of residence
267 Posts

Profile of Esjay Dee
Well I'd like to commend Looch for his response to all of this. It shows that the bad boy of old has grown into the old boy of bad. It must be difficult to bite ones lip in such circumstances. While acknowledging the legitimate shortcomings of the work...typo's grammer etc, and learning from them with grace, he hasn't risen to the baiting.

I love SAD, and think Loochy is sweet.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
ElliottB:

Yes, good for you for speaking your mind.

By the way, my name is Thomas Elliott Baxter. Two LL's and two tt's in Elliott.

Coincidence? I think not. I'm claiming plagiarism.

- entity
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
That would depend on when you were born Smile
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Ah. In that case... I'm claiming from a past life.

- entity
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
What a strange coincidence...

My name was Thomas Baxter in a past life Smile

Elliott
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Ah... the old switcheroo, eh? Curses... wait! In that case can I have my tax bills sent to you retroactively for the past 40 years?

- entity
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
My past life was spent in The Bahamas, where there in so personal income tax.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
All right... the world will have to survive with two Elliott B.'s performing Mentalism.

Hope we meet one day.

T. Elliott B.
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
After fighting these fires here in San Diego, CA the last week I've decided to treat myself to a nice new book. So I bought SAD. I should be receiving it any day now.

After reading this thread I am now more interested in the book. I think simply because Swiss is such an a** and pretty much destroys anything that doesn't have his name on it. Who knows it might be so good that Swiss wished he wrote it.

Plus all the good reviews here helped my buying decision.

Josh London
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Sorry Josh but 'Paramiracles' by Ted Lesley and 'Pure Effect' by Derren Brown did
get glowing reviews from Jamy Swiss.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
The Doctor
View Profile
Loyal user
Gallifrey
265 Posts

Profile of The Doctor
I may not agree with Swiss at times but the man does a great job in catalysing higher standards. If mediocrity gets great reviews it means that we are somewhat less than discerning in what we find acceptable. Consider what a wonderful world we would live in if every book released was of the calibre of Pure Effect, Paramiracles or Theatre of the Mind. Sadly, for every one of those opuses, there are 20 books like Deadly Mentalism.
shestack
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of shestack
If Only J I Swiss work was of such a high standard !.......Heard at one of his lectures they BOOED /DEMANDED REFUNDS & WALKED OUT IN DROVES............
What do expect from someone who still does street performing & because he suposibly reviews books & get to keep the ones that are his cup of tea ....Hmm.
JOSHLONDON 17 YOU are soo RIGHT !
He has since jumped on the mentalism bandwagon by doing 90 % of the Stetson & Becker acts , yada,yada,yada,... yawn !
Some times you have to question those who seen to be all Knowing.... I Do !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Genii Review of S.A.D. - Very harsh! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL