The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » "Treasure of Mine" - I need to complain! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mruniquename
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of mruniquename
I recently came across the trick "Treasure of Mine" which has recently been released, only to see that it's being sold for US$40!

I came across the secret to the trick in Mark Wilson's Complete Course book, which you can get for half that price.

So... my complaint is, I think it's an absolute ripoff for what is actually a very easy & straightforward trick. I think it's sad that people might buy the trick for US$40 and then get disappointed when they realise how simple the trick is. And the board that comes with it doesn't justify the price either. I think magic suppliers should support magicians, not try to rip them off.

Ok, I'm done.

MrUniqueName
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Why don't you post this in "The Good, the Bad and the Garbage?"

Are you absolutely certain that the version that is being sold as "Treasure of Mine" is exactly the same item as described in the Mark Wilson course? The effect is generically called "Bank Night." When I look at the method in the Wilson book and the props used in Treasure of Mine, I see different methods involved.

I know at least a dozen different ways of doing this.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Many variations of bank night indeed........
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Mr. Uniquename;
I think the Bill Palmer hit it right on the head here. Is it the same method exactly? You would need to buy it to be sure.
On top of that, just for completeness, let us say that the board is one of the many possible gaffed board versions out there. It is made of wood, which has to be cut, machined, assembled, finished. All of this takes time and costs money.
Add to the fact that the producer needs to price this to make a profit while selling to a wholesaler or distributor who add in their profits.
To be honest $40 for a wood board to do a bank nite is not unreasonable at all.
I do not have a horse in this race, but as a manufacturer I often hear people say that they could make an item for this much or that much, which is fine as long as they have the tools, materials, & know the method. The only question is how much is their time worth?
I am not pointing this out to you to bust on you, just pointing out that you need to look at the whole picture here before jumping in to scream foul.
I too have seen this advertised, do not know which board they are using, but with it being a bank nite board, and at that price, I can only guess at which one.
It is good that you bring these things up with the intention of helping others, after all that is what the Café is all about. I wish you well
All the Best
Marty
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » "Treasure of Mine" - I need to complain! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL