The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Euros (Palming, manipulation etc...) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

iceblade
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of iceblade
OK, I have searched and found some info on this, but I some like many opinions, so anyone who can contribute is welcome.
When I started learning coin magic, I began palming Euros. I watched Roth palming halves, but I had only Euros because this is the currency of my country. When I tried to Classic Palm Euro coins, all my interest in coin magic was drained in an instant. I thought this was impossible. It was strange, but I continued to practice the classic palm although I never believed it would work. As time passed, it began feeling natural and I was somewhat satisfied, though I still thought that either it was very difficult or that I was really clumsy.
Then, I ordered some Half Dollars from eBay. I put them in classic palm and...OMG!!!! So THAT'S how Roth does it! I'm joking, of course, but it was soooo much easier. Don't think that I have large hands, though. My hands are small to medium, still a bit smaller than average.
Now comes the great question, the Euro has all the disadvantages. 1) Small diameter, 2) thick, 3) doesn't sound good, 4) looks dull. But the moment someone else sees a foreign coin here, he thinks it's gimmicked. The Euro is terrible for coin magic, but just because it's really "impromptu" (people are so used to it, it's an everyday object, a half dollar is a magic prop for them) makes me overlook all its disadvantages. As I only perform for small groups and friends, the impromptu factor is absolutely crucial for me. Magic should spring from the daily and ordinary in my case, not from some special thing.
AAAAAAAAAAAArghhh! I guess I will keep using Euros, but I HATE them!!!!
What are your opinions on that? How do you think this single advantage balances all the other disadvantages?
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
Well, the biggest advantage for the halves are the milled edges. Euros aren't milled, correct?

You should invest in some violin bow rosin. Rub a LITTLE bit on the edge of your coins, and you'll see a big difference.

Houdin dismissed practices like these, but we all can't be "the father of modern magic". I used it with some Liberty's, went back to Halves, and now with my extensive practice with Halves, I don't need it for Liberty's anymore.

It might help your confidence level, at first, while performing the sleight. As you progress, you will probably find that you don't need it anymore.

I hope this helps.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
The milled edges make a lot of difference in making palming easier.

Fortunately there are gaffed Euros now, and they can help in making the coins look innocent since everyone there are using the same coins.
iceblade
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of iceblade
Thanks for your replies. Well, the milled edge sure helps, but actually, I find that the larger size and the fact that halves are thinner than euros (and thus lighter) make them more easy to palm. That's not to say that it's impossible to palm euros, it's just that it's easier to palm a half. Plus, a half is more visual, makes more contrast with the hand, and its bigger (adds to the surprise factor).
But I have to say that after 5 months of practice, there's a big difference in my CP. Even when I palm a 2 euro cent, I'm fairly satisfied now. I guess I'm just jealous of Americans. Smile
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I totally agree with Pod on the rosin! I used it for about a week, and by the time it wore off the coins edge I seemed to have developed the proper grip as well as the confidence that plays a big part IMO! I keep a chunk of rosin in my box for those off days where I can't even grip a baseball with both hands! LOL
Another thing I have found useful is keeping my hands conditioned with whatever lotion you prefer. (I like Corn Huskers.)
All tricks and gimmicks aside, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE is the only tried and true method, and keeping a coin in CP while doing routine activities will really help a bunch! Good luck and keep the faith!
Mick
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I say if you like the American halves, use them, Iceblade. I "never" have a problem when performing with "unusual" coins or coins people have never seen before. I arrange "all" my routines so the spectator can inspect the coins before and after my routines, if they wish. Most inspect before the routine, few after. I actually like them to inspect the coins before the routine, because it gives me a chance to use some patter and to warm them up for what's coming.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
gelbepfeife
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of gelbepfeife
I use 2€ Coins - They are good.

I would never classic palm a 1€ Coin.
tajkuri
View Profile
New user
Finland
41 Posts

Profile of tajkuri
When I started coin magic, I used halves. Then I thought about moving to €s, and tried. It was very difficult at the beginning, but after only a couple of weeks of coin handling, I could muscle pass with a 2€ coin. About the milled edge, 5€ coin is milled, and it is almost the same size as 2€.
jocce
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of jocce
I can relate to the Euro problem. When I started out I was determined to use only Swedish currency, which unfortunately have very smooth edges. I learned to use them pretty well, but each time I had an audience my palms got a little bit sweatier than normal and CP was almost impossible. I gave up and ordered half dollars and have since built up more confidence and a better CP, so I can today use my Swedish currency if I want to.

I've also realized that there's nothing "wrong" with using foreign currency, and it can be a nice conversational item. Only "problem" is that some might think it's trick coins. I performed Hanging Coins by Roth yesterday for a group of family and friends, and they spent quite some time examining the coins afterwards, trying to fit them together because it obviously must be trick coins. "I saw your hands all the time, and they were empty!!"
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
That is just my point, Jocce. If you let the spectators examine the coins before or after the routine or both, nothing more needs to be said. What is nice about "Hanging Coins" is there is nothing to hide anyway. You can use any coins you wish with that plan. It may take extra work on your part to arrange your routines so the coins may be examined, but I personally think it's worth the effort.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
Gary Yin
View Profile
Elite user
Sabah, Malaysia
449 Posts

Profile of Gary Yin
I'm still using Asian coins. -_-
Don't know when can I get US money.
yrag89@hotmail.com (msn msgr)

Gary Justin Yin.
ferrissteve
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of ferrissteve
I have used coins from all over the world for my routines. I have used old czech coins, liberty half dollars, british 2 pound coins. the different curriences do make a nice conversation piece. during my travels to the...fill in the blank. you get the idea.
magicblademan
View Profile
Special user
uk
523 Posts

Profile of magicblademan
I'm in the uk and use morgan silver dollars.

I thought when I changed to use the American coinage that people over here would think they were "trick" coins ....i always do a few routines where I can hand the coins out so they know these are not "trick" coins,once that is established then I can ring in a gaff if I want to.

I could use english currency as I don't have too much of a problem with sleights in my own currency,but there is something about the morgans that I love so I use these.

Also after using the silver dollars, smaller coins for some reason seem more easier to work with.But like I say I prefer morgans and that is what I'll use .

I am not bothered if anyone wants to examine my coins as there is nothing to be found so to speak.....people often wonder where the coins are goin aas I only have small hands .

I did think what you were thinking regarding using your own currency and it took me awhile to come to the point that it really don't matter what coins they are it's how you present them that matters.If your specs have handled them then that is enough as they themselves can't find anything wrong with them.

just use what ever you feel comfortable with and you will be fine ,if the routine is done right you will have no problems that's why sleights are so important ,you can convince people a whole lot more.
If you put the time in....you will achieve ...
eidanyoson
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of eidanyoson
Palming euros is not a problem. I palm 2€, 1€ or 10 or 5 cents. The problem for me are the bigger and heavier coins, couse my hands are small.
I think is most difficult (impossible for me) trying to palm 5 bolivares of Venezuela, for example.
Wen you find a coin without milled edges, you can try to palm the coin in other place, up, between Mount Venus and Life Line or Head Line, depends on your hands.

Sorry for my english. I´m spanish.
magicblademan
View Profile
Special user
uk
523 Posts

Profile of magicblademan
No ones hands are too small....check out "THE BOSS" 15 coin production and you will see that small hands don't matter...
If you put the time in....you will achieve ...
jonny.dee
View Profile
New user
Munich, Bavaria, Germany
1 Post

Profile of jonny.dee
Hello, I use 10€ coins instead of the 2€ ones. You can get them in normal banks. They look silver and very shiny and you can get them with a lot of different pictures on them. Furthermore, they have a good weight (at least IMO) and they sound very good. Also, they create interest, because not that many people have seen 10€ coins already -- though most of them know they exist. The only issue is their thickness. I can palm four of these coins in Downs Palm but more really are impossible for me. I mean it is possible but I cannot show them the palm of my hand without giving away the secret. However, classic palming several of these coins really is very easy...they have a sharp edge. In short, I like doing tricks with them.
Doriangray
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Doriangray
A good info.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
If you stick with coins you will be able to do a lot with a variety of coins.
Over the years folks have given or I have bought coins from around the world. I often use washers from the hardware stores...Although I use half dollars and Morgan Silvers in formal shows..I often use dimes, penny's, nickles at walk around venues...(USA Coins that is)

Starting last summer I have been playing around seeing how many dimes I can produce one at a time from downs or classic position...then coin rolling them one or two at a time..then putting them on a mat..to make the smile in a coin face...(chinese or washers make the eyes...
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Chad and Mickey both mentioned Rosin, and I am also a big fan of Corn Husker's Lotion (Glycerin and Rosewater lotion is pretty much the same thing)
I have also used powdered rosin, like the stuff in a baseball pitcher's rosin bag. just a TINY bit on the hands, gives a grip you won't believe.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Euros (Palming, manipulation etc...) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL