The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Die Box for kids (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ggarcia
View Profile
Veteran user
San Antonio Tx
395 Posts

Profile of ggarcia
I am a close up guy. my wife and I recently had our first child so I figure I might as well start putting a little routine together for kids. I love the die box and would like to include it but I have a few questions.

1 - which die box is a good one to get. I have seen the mel babcock (which I belive is a normal die box), the rainbox die box, one by I think owens where one side actually detaches and I saw one recently that had two die in it.

2 - any good routines out there to study. I don't want to do the basic "sucker" type effect.

3 - I'll take any suggestions on other effects to add for kids.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

I have bought a number of die boxes through the years, and like the Babcock version the best - he makes different sizes, so you can choose. The rainbow version and the Owen box seem more for collectors than performers, so I'd go for the standard die box if you're looking to perform it. Mel Babcock makes beautiful apparatus.

Congratulations on your first child, by the way!

Ron
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Aside from the basic die box routine, there is a pretty good one in "The Comedy Magic Textbook" by David Roper. It's a hardcover book that David Ginn published.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Clownboy
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Clownboy
I love my Milson/Worth Die Box.
Its just a lovely piece and well designed.

Click here to view attached image.
As the Frogs say "Times Fun when you're having Flies" Smile
Sordini
View Profile
New user
USA
70 Posts

Profile of Sordini
Not an expert on choosing the right die box but here are some lines I use.

OK, I'll level with you... ya got me... LOOK OVER THERE! (The kids all look, tilt it back. Adults love this one)

Oh no it is'nt! (You know where this goes)

The OTHER door = No no no I don't need anymore.... thank you.

The OTHER side = The ladies cried? No no no she's fine

The OTHER side = Em no. Em I have arthritis.

But before I open that door, Do you think I should open this door again? (NO!) Great! lets do that then!

I have tonnes more lines, but god its so hard to write them down. Reading back over my grammer and spelling here I am cringing...

If the kids don't want to KILL you by now. You're doing something wrong.

To veer it away from a sucker trick, the last line I use is:
The four doors! NOOooooo (you know where this goes) and after that dyes down. Start 'crying' I'm not much a magician really. I need your guys help. Will you help me (The kids will probalby scrrem no!) PLEASE (sounding desperate) repeat as required with a bit of luck you will have to repeat that a few times. Magic words wigiling fingers and milk then ending.

God I love this one.
-
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
I highly recommend Mel Babcock's See-Thru Block Box:

http://www.nwi.net/~magicmel/seethru.html

Best for kids as it uses a block instead of a die and it does not work the same as other die boxes. It fools magicians not in the know.

Only drawback might be that you have to find a different way to reproduce the block since a s***l is not used.

This is a real fooler, and if Mel still makes these it is a great bargain. I would not trade it for the two other fine die boxes in my magic room.

Andy
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
AshleyW
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of AshleyW
I have used one in the manner Sordini writes about. I think it was a mistake for me looking back though.

..."If the kids don't want to KILL you by now. You're doing something wrong."

That's exactly what I try to avoid. You see, no matter what you do before or after that feeling they get, THAT is the feeling that may stick out for them forever more. I would rather them be my friend, or look up to me. You can be a hero for some. In my town I am so well known from school shows, I constantly get stopped by kids while I'm out, I try to encourage them inside and outside of a show.

I'm not putting down anyone else, it works for them, but there are many ways to use this prop without becoming an enemy. I have painted characters on the block and told a story before.
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
For kids, why not Pizzadigitation. It's a pizza microwave with a sliding pie, and to me has more of a reason for being than the normal die box, which is a great gizmo, but doesn't have a very intuitive explanation. You have to explain how you got a die and what it represents, etc. While some, like Gene Anderson and his Mother Hubbard routine, do this very well, it seems easier to me with a prop that is, well, "less propy."
ggarcia
View Profile
Veteran user
San Antonio Tx
395 Posts

Profile of ggarcia
Thanks for the great input....really appreciate it
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2007-10-08 14:40, Andre Hagen wrote:
I highly recommend Mel Babcock's See-Thru Block Box:

http://www.nwi.net/~magicmel/seethru.html

Only drawback might be that you have to find a different way to reproduce the block since a s***l is not used.

This is a real fooler, and if Mel still makes these it is a great bargain. I would not trade it for the two other fine die boxes in my magic room.

Andy

Mel manufactures two versions of the Okito re-appearing block box (I'm not certain of the exact name, but they're on his web site). Either of these allow the vanished block from the Die Box to visibly "re-appear" in a previously empty rectangular open-topped box.

The latest version permits the re-appeared block to be be removed from the second box.
For a quick reference, check his Instant Transposition which utilizes such a box.

(Mel will make the Okito style re-appearing box for either kind of block.)

Julie
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I think sucker effects are good for teenaged audiences. I often like to open them them or in the early part of the show. It takes them down and notch and helps keep them interested. For younger kids, I usually like to make me the sucker of sucker tricks and I give the kid the credit for the magic.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
There's another one for kids . . . Adair's crown jewel box. Check it out. Especially good for birthday girls of a certain age (4-6) who do the whole princess thing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Die Box for kids (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL