The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Why do some put down the cups and balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Great post, Bobby!

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
871 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
I think I heard it from my friend or somewhere in the Café that said "You're not real magician yet, until you can do cups and balls routine"

I believe C&B is real classic pieces that we should do and put it to our repetoire. It does take practice and a lot of performance aspects (patter, skill/move, misdirection, etc)

Don't put it down.... Put it up

Cheers
Andre
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
People put down the cups and balls for the same reasons they put anything else down:

1) ignorance
2) inability to do it
3) lack of interest

One very well-known vintage magic dealer from whom I have purchased several sets told me that he hates the cups and balls. He finally explained why, and I understand it. When he was a child in Cuba, he saw Galli-Galli perform the cups and balls, and he learned that Galli-Galli was brutal to the baby chicks. This gave him an antipathy to the trick.

Maybe after I purchase a few more expensive sets of cups from him, he will feel better about it! Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Quote:
On 2007-10-08 17:55, MickeyPainless wrote:
When I first got into magic I over looked C&B's for no reason other than knowing nothing about the routines. I unfortunately bypassed Sponge balls as well because I thought it was kid magic!
Now I wish the guy at the magic shop had NOT done his job by selling me all the latest/greatest stuff going. I wish he had directed me to C&B's and Sponges since it has been those 2 have taken my coin work to the next level and taught me about presentation, misdirection, patter etc etc etc!
I am still a raw novice at all this but I think I have learned more and had more fun in the short time as a C&B junkie than anything else!
Let the nay sayers have their way Josh, the fewer that do C&B, the better we can look IMO!
Mick

I also feel that learning cups and balls have boosted my abilities in areas like coin magic and other stuff more than if I just stuck with them. I think the cups and balls for me gave me a sense of timing which I see comes in to my presentations, something to do with the natural pauses and the fact you can do it quick or slow. All in all it’s a great training programme and crowds still gather and still fill the hats so keep it going.

Another thing I like which I having the same sort of fun with are rope magic.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2007-10-08 10:25, Joshua Barrett wrote:
In recently weeks I have had many people try and tell me certain tricks including the cups and balls are out dated have no real magical value...

That's about the time when you could take your coffee cup and crumple up a paper napkin and do a nice one-cup routine.

Just takes some imagination to find a way to make the basic trick work wherever you go.

And yes, it's been with us since the bowls and pebbles and will likely be with us until we have no more need of cups or bowls.

IMHO the trick is fine. It's the script and the performer which may need some refinement from real world audiences.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
JT... you hit it... it "IS" the person operating the equipment. Period. How many times have you left your engraved Sherwood's home and entertained the folks with a couple of tea cups and wads of rolled up bread?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Bill, you have a Hawaii connection, too?

I went to High School in Hawaii, live in Germany, play the banjo and have just taken up cups and balls.

You are one of my heroes.

Can I call you Uncle Bill?

Jeff
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I don't have a real connection to Hawaii. I have a couple of friends who live over there, and a couple of people I send letters to on occasion.

I have lots of friends in Germany, though. Some of them are magicians, some are banjo players. A few do both.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
I understand Cups and Balls is a classic in magic. I did a great routine for many shows when I was beginning. But I eventually got into walk-a-round and resturant and bar work. Where my priority is more to carry as little as possible and do short powerful effects so C&B's just didn't fit my program. I haven't done a C&B's routine for over 10 years now. It has nothing to do with ignorance, inability to do it or lack of interest Mr. Palmer. I just choose not to do it because it doesn't fit my style anymore. The closest I get to it is a quick ungimmicked chop cup routine.

I'm sure many magicians choose not to do the cups and balls because they don't want to have to carry them around, don't have the table space or have time restraints. Lets face it Cups and Balls is great but it doesn't fit into every environment well.

, Jonathan
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's true, and I understand it. But you are not "putting the cups and balls down" as in the sense that was meant in the original post.

I don't do the cups and balls in a strolling situation in restaurants, either. I don't think that's a good place for the routine. I stroll with a small chop cup.

These are valid reasons for not doing the cups and balls in certain places. But they are not valid reasons for saying that the cups and balls have no real magical value.

There are a number of tricks I really think are wonderful that I don't do while strolling. The Sword Basket is definitely out as a strolling piece. And dove work in a restaurant is probably not only a bad idea, but a health risk.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Guess I should of read the first post. I thought "put down" meant "not use or put away". My mistake carry on. Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Sometimes these phrases pick up new meanings in the vernacular.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
***The Sword Basket is definitely out as a strolling piece.***
Might be good in a family restaurant to stow away the little snot slinger that's crawling under the table or grabbing at your props! Smile
Mick
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have been tempted!!!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Why do some put down the cups and balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL