The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Annemann's "Test Conditions" effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tim David
View Profile
Regular user
MA
164 Posts

Profile of Tim David
I've got a demo video and tutorial of a CLASSIC Annemann effect that I would like to share. This trick has treated me very well over the years.

http://www.themagicteacher.com/articles/......ick-Test

If you don't know it, learn it.

If you do know it, but don't perform it because you think it's "outdated" or some other crazy reason - I recommend you try it again tonight and really *believe* it when you perform it. Then wait for the reactions.
Go spread some wonder

http://www.TimDavidMagic.com
Ignore me...
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Ignore me...
I've used the secret of this in knowledgeable company, and it always amazes me when otherwise skilled magicians have gaps in their knowledge regarding this.

Most working pros, though, appreciate how great a tool this is...

Cheers!
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Is this truly worth destroying your stack for, given that it can fail?

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Tim David
View Profile
Regular user
MA
164 Posts

Profile of Tim David
Quote:
On 2007-10-18 17:07, Dennis Loomis wrote:
Is this truly worth destroying your stack for, given that it can fail?

Dennis Loomis

YES!

The greatest magical moments happen when we take risks.

Even people who believe in mindreading think that it doesn't work perfectly each and every time. I say go for it and build your reputation one miracle at a time.
Go spread some wonder

Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Annemann wrote, in "Sh-e-e-e, It's a Secret", that '$100 Test Card Location' works in 80%, I think the percentage decrease considerably if you let spectator Overhand Shuffle four times in a row as David-san allowed in the video demo.

I can't risk it because one mistake can be fatal in my act. One mistake can ruin my reputation.

Hideo Kato
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
To take what Mr Kato has said a step further, if you cannot risk a mistake or failure in your act, then you need methods that are sure to be successful.

There are more surefire (ie. 100%) ways of acheiving the same effect or very close to it if it is played out properly. This would mean it would have to be as hands off as the above trick is (and it's not TOTALLY hands off but should appear so to a layperson), the spectator would have to do the shuffling, cutting, selection, etc. With a little management, you could make someone think that the conditions were the same. This could be as simple as saying, "you shuffled & cut the cards, chose one, and you mixed them some more" when maybe the actual order of events wasn't *exactly* like that.

I'm not against the trick itself - it's a neat thing - but if you can't risk failure, there are other ways to create a "hands off, you did everything" mindreading type of trick that hit 100%.
tjo'
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
This is a very interesting topic. I love taking risks. I get a thrill the more I can get away with. Odd though, as how the appreciation of the amount of risk that is taken is not readily apparant to others or as proportionate, yet it still is a secret "something" I smile over.

Of course on that note manufactured "risk" is/can be put into a trick where there is none and so you'd have no problems, but I feel it more when there is actual risk. Then again, my show could stink more too!:)

Anyway, I'm gonna try this.
Tim David
View Profile
Regular user
MA
164 Posts

Profile of Tim David
I applaud you Nathan.

I started a new topic on taking risks in the 'Penny for your thoughts' forum.

It's called:

"Taking Risks"

Read my favorite risk-taking story there.
Go spread some wonder

Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
While working without a net can be thrilling, I just don't think it's worth it. Not only can you miss, but you also destroy the stack in the process.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
I use few enough stacks as it is, so this will fit perfectly in my repertoire! I will try this out... sometime later.
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Cain, I do agree that it isn't always worth it, that is, effects without a safety net. But yea it can be fun.

But to the other comment, there is a great way to "undo" an overhand shuffle (and riffle) by a spectator quite quickly and quite fairly in Mnemonica. Pretty cook stuff!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Annemann's "Test Conditions" effect (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL