The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Marketing questions. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Just to clarify. The illustration of the water pump was relating to the marketing / promotion of a business (where to put ads, how business cards are give out, how you find a way to showcase to potential customers, how to build your show so that it generates spin off shows, referrals, and repeat business, etc.) when initially growing your business, not necessarily to the idea of positioning yourself as an expert (at the beginning, or later on).

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
From all my experience, which is not as much as say Danny or others, but I do hold my own, it seems to all boil down to a great show. If you do a killer show that people are really in to you'll have so much business you'll need to buy a velvet rope.

I've bought all the marketing books, videos, courses, etc. and my view now is that the marketing is the easier part. The show is the harder part. Once you have a solid show that appeals to people word will spread like (and forgive me for this because it's happening all around me here in San Diego) wildfire.

I think a lot of people here put way too much attention into marketing when they really should be focusing on their show. Because what do you need to know marketing for if your show sucks?

Josh
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
I have to agree with Danny. I feel the same way about a 25 year magician calling himself a "Master Magician," something I've seen a lot on magicians' websites. The title "Master," like the title "Expert," is earned by someone who has 20, 30 or even 40 years of real world experience in their field. It is not just a marketing label.
Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
Ok Danny I’m man enough to admit that I made a mistake on that one, but I was really trying to seek a creative way to position myself apart from the competition that seems all ready established in a target market that I hope to get into as you can see by my thinking on my second post.

Maybe change the role in the booklet I play then, as Michael points out ie: expert, Interviewer, Researcher, Repurposer etc. I guess that changes the intention from being an expert and when portrayed properly stays with my area of expertise without betraying something I’m not.

Danny you tone of your post seems to insinuate I’m trying sully the art of magic or my attempts will simply do more harm then good of the springboard of an opinion you have developed of people who do such things.

Well all I can say is I’m learning here buddy, and the fact I’m asking questions here and seeking advice would indicate to me I’m trying to do the right thing not the wrong thing ok?

I have and still am tweaking my show and I have posted it on magic.about.com for constructive criticism and fully performed it on a number of occasions and you can see my efforts and current stage of development at: http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx......tid=4982

Let there be no mistake about this, I intend to do things right and I was just hoping that I could learn a little more from those that have been there and done that. So don’t make the mistake of thinking that this is some sort of half baked Idea from a couch magician. I’m willing to walk the path and learn as I go.

Magically

Aus
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I currently get 10 inquiries per day. Less then 10% of those book me due to my being very busy and quite pricey. I would love a method of stopping the 90% calling and keeping the 10%!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Nicholas -

Have you see this thread?:

Cafe thread titled... Online Advertising DOs and DON'Ts

Hi Aus -

Do you know that when you buy Eric Paul's "How to be your area's top children's entertainer" product / course, you also get re-print rights to his (birthday) party tips book? You mentioned that this was a resource you were seeking. The course is geared for those wishing to tweak their birthday show business. I think it is a fine product, and I know that Jim Snack also endorses it.

I use a modified version of his party tips book, and send it out to all of my birthday show customers / prospects. I've been doing that for years now. I felt that resource alone was worth the price of Eric's product / course.

Again, I see the party tips book as more about "creating value" rather than about "positioning myself as an expert".

- Donald
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Aus
My experience in party stores is they usually thank me for giving them my business cards, because people are constantly asking them to recommend a good magician. Displaying your business cards in local businesses is a great way to get work close to home. If it is a restaurant that has lots of real estate, and handy man cards don't be surprised if they throw your cards in the trash, because these birds are very teritorial. I have my cards in the dry cleaner, pizza shop, and coffee shops that know me.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Aus I never said you were trying to "sully" anything.

I said that if you do things like claim to be an expert when you are not, then indeed you are going to be called on it.

Oh yes I do mean to insinuate that it will do far more harm than good. At least you got that right.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2007-10-16 22:08, Aus wrote:
My thoughts over the last couple of days has been focused on marketing side of magic and what methods most magicians find effective is filling your working calendars over the main course of the year. At the moment I have been reading through Michael Port’s Book Yourself Solid (which I highly recommend by the way) which poses some interesting questions and approaches.

So here are some of the questions I would like to ask.

Michael subscribes to a theory that he calls his “Red Velvet Rope Policy” where to summaries is simply an approach that sorts the dead wood from the trees in terms of his ideal clients. Since you can’t please everybody you simply try to please those you can please, which is the reason of distinguishing your ideal clients with your “Red Velvet Rope Policy”.

An old thread, I'm popping back to the top. Because it was about "the velvet rope policy."

If you are a fan of Michael Port (Author - "Book Yourself Solid") or even just want to learn more about him, check out this thread:

Cafe thread titled... BalloonCast

I found it in the Ballooning 101 section of the Café.

From that thread, you can go and listen to a podcast / teleseminar that some balloon twisters recently did with Michael Port. Its available as a replay. His information was relevant to other types of performers, too.

- Donald
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Marketing questions. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL