The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » For those that want to begin, learn from a newbies mistake (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic-dabra
View Profile
Regular user
Knoxville, TN
153 Posts

Profile of magic-dabra
I posted about 3-4 weeks ago about buying a set of beginning cups as a "newbie". I had asked about regular cups vs. a combo set. Many responded with wonderful information and insight, and for that I am grateful but there was a point left out that maybe I can add for someone just starting out that was left out for a beginner that is just starting.

I decided on getting a Bazar Copper Combo set. (I also got the Ammar dvd set to begin learning which is GREAT) Some said good choice, some warned that with a Combo set you have to be careful of which cup is gimmicked and which ball was gimmicked. In my naive mind I thought, "No problem. I just won't use the gimmicked ball and everything will be fine."

There is only one problem with this thought pattern. Not knowing how a routine worked and just beginning to learn, I knew that the set comes with 4 balls (3 plain and 1 gimmicked) and I would be fine with my intial reasoning. The problem is that most routines (and especially beginning) takes 4 balls total...not 3! If I had known then what I know now, I still would have gotten the same set, I just would have gotten an extra ball or set of balls.

I have since ordered the extra balls and I am very happy with my choices. Just thought I would alert anyone that is starting from ground zero like I did. It takes 4 for a routine...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
You are right, the suppliers could have offered a five ball set, four regular and one special.

I hope some of them take notice and consider offering a more robust set of props.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Savvy retailers carry extra balls.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Good point. When buying any gimmicked cups, it's always worth buying an extra set just to have a spare chopped ball. Depending on the manufacturer of the cup, it can be difficult to find gimmicked balls with just the right strength to match the cup.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
In the case of the Bazar cups, it's not too much of a problem. The main gaff is in the cup. This is one reason the gaff is so prominent in the Bazar cups.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » For those that want to begin, learn from a newbies mistake (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL