The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Practicing some slights (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nairbles
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of nairbles
Do you all find yourself just doing one slight at a time all day? I've been practicing side steals now for about a week and I feel like I'm not doing anything else. I don't talk outloud or even go over some tricks... I just control the card over and over and over again. I know studying magic is a lifelong thing and this is just the first part to practicing the move for actual effects, but should I mix it up more? really, how else can I practice this move specifically? I usually just diagnol insert it and square up the deck. I need more varied ways to practice this move. thanks
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Combine it with other sleights. shift card to middle, side steal it to top etc etc.
good work, at least you want to know a sleight 100%.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
I do the same thing. I usually have around two new moves and two old ones that I obsess over and alternate between for a few weeks. Or more. Then I move on either because I'm brilliant at it or because it seems impossible. Sometimes my two or more moves are old "impossible" ones that I want to tackle again. Sometimes I have hung in there for three months or so doing one move every day. Which is too much on one move at a time, I think. You make more progress then by leaving things alone for a few weeks.

But I always always always do this kind of sleight practice while watching a movie or a TV series or something. I'm not fully conscious of using so much time on it. If I had been I would have quit early in the practice period. If it's just work then you may simply get fed up with it. You can always pick up a new different method later. It will go quicker than the first one.

What other methods you can use to practice your side steal depends on which type it is. Not my forte, side steals. I use all Lennart Green techniques for this now. Don't even remember the older ones I used to know. I think everything is on Green Magic 5.

One thing tho... don't end up with hand pains like mine. When your hands tell you so, switch moves or pick up a coin instead. Like you said magic is a lifelong thing. You need to keep your hands for that time too. Although I do get frustrated when I think of all that I will not have the time to master in my lifetime. Today, for instance, I am bitter because I feel that I have lost a day to other things.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I've focused on studying specific sleights for days.
The Side Steal (SS) is a good one to focus on.

Try dribbling the cards for and ask them to stop you anytime. Show the bottom card of the top portion and do the SS upon replacement.

Have a card picked from cards spread between your hands.
Have it replaced in the spread. Reassemble and SS as you close the spread and square the deck.

Another idea is after the SS, turn the deck in position for a overhand shuffle and add the card to the bottom so it's reversed.

Hope this helps.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Quote:
On 2007-10-20 17:53, Jaz wrote:

Another idea is after the SS, turn the deck in position for a overhand shuffle and add the card to the bottom so it's reversed.

That's a very clever idea. Never would have thought of that, thanks!

Although I tend to Side Steal into Lateral Palm myself, for which this ending is less helpful. I guess I need to practice stealing into palm some more because I need a reverse that clever.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
wunceaponatime
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of wunceaponatime
Practicing as you describe is fine. Just remember that executing the sleights within the context of a routine while a spectator watches is also important practice under fire that is invaluable.

David
Jay Austin
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Jay Austin
Quote:
On 2007-10-23 12:23, Vincent wrote:
Practicing as you describe is fine. Just remember that executing the sleights within the context of a routine while a spectator watches is also important practice under fire that is invaluable.

David

You do, however, want to make sure that you know the slight and are proficient at it before you do it for someone. Never do something if you can not do it reliably without exposing.
Jay Austin

http://austin-computer-solutions.com/
Hire a tech, not a geek.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Back to the original poster - the practice pattern depends very much on your ability to focus. Some people can not practice a single move over and over again. for them, embedding the practice in a wider context of a simple trick is probably better. If you can just focus on the move, the better it is for you.

You have studied music - what else do I need to say

Have fun
Andy
Cards never lie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Practicing some slights (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL