The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Sitting Down With a Pro (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Last night I had the privilege of sitting down and talking with a pro, Denny Haney. I was in Baltimore on business and looked up Denny and Lee Magic address and found it was only 10 miles from my hotel. Took a short cab ride and went into the shop. I found Denny sitting on a couch with a big smile on his face and greeted me like he had known me all my life. We chatted a bit and he showed my his books and other top quality magic he had for sale. Denny gave me a lot of advice on what I was interested in, made some suggestions, but never forced anything on me I did not need. We sat and chatted some more and just the experience I was being exposed to was more than any lecture I had attended. He knew and knows all the greats, which I count him one in that elite group.

Denny Haney is one of the greats. His love and passion for magic is infectious. He is a Chavez grad; he knows how to present illusion and has comedy magic down to an art. He has given more to magic than he has ever received. Denny is one of those rare gems that I feel is sometime overlooked.

What I came away with is this, Read all the books you can on the subject of magic, study the masters past and present. Read about their routines and life. Talk with the great masters; assume you don't know as much as you think you know. Always be a wide eyed child in your approach to magic presentation. Appreciate those who have paved the way before you. Love life and be kind to everyone you meet.

Thank you, Denny. I will never forget what I learned last night.

David Williams
Magicdoc88
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of Magicdoc88
Yes, Denny is a great guy with great passion for magic. I met him in Vegas in 2/07 and he shared lots of interesting stories from his magic career. It was a honor and pleasure to have met him.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Denny of one of the "class acts" in magic. He is always willing to share what he has learned with anyone who asks. He is NOT one that is full of himself and thinks he's better than others.

What a treat you had in spending time with him. Although I've never met him in person, I have had many conversations with him over the phone and through email and have ALWAYS found him to be gracious and easy to talk to. He IS one of the good guys in magic.

Mark. Smile
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Denny is a walking encyclopedia of magic and performing. A man who learned the business the hard way and has a ton of experience. He is ever willing to share it. I think his experience of owning and operating a magic store is enough to scare anyone forever away from any attempt to enter such a business. His knowledge of routining and performing could fill a library. Cherish any moment you can spend with him.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
I had a similiar experience on my first visit. I dropped by to see the shop and had a great conversation. Magi, buy from him, he has a great flat shipping policy. Support this living legend.
Frank
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Denny is by far a great man and a lover of the magical arts. He is always willing to be dead honest with anyone and to help anyone out if they simply ask the questions. I have always admired that of him. He is a gentlemen and someone who keeps it real.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
And he stands behind everything he sells. He sees his customers are satisfied. Old time, old fashion service. Something that seems to be a thing of the past. You might find some dealers as good, but never any better than Denny.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
I love to visit Denny's shop whenever I'm in the Baltimore area. He is one of the great treasures in magic, and a wealth of knowledge. I encourage everyone to do business with Denny to keep one of the great "Brick and Mortar" Magic shops. At the very least, buy the video of his show. It is a lesson in showmanship from a top pro!

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Quote:
On 2007-10-27 21:09, Jim Snack wrote:
I love to visit Denny's shop whenever I'm in the Baltimore area. He is one of the great treasures in magic, and a wealth of knowledge. I encourage everyone to do business with Denny to keep one of the great "Brick and Mortar" Magic shops. At the very least, buy the video of his show. It is a lesson in showmanship from a top pro!

Jim

Jim,

I did buy a copy of his show and boy you are right. He is constantly in touch with his audience.

David
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
I've never been to the shop, but I have ordered several items from Denny & Lee and have been much more than satisfied. Any questions I had were thoroughly answered in advance of the sale, and one time I received a book that had very minor damage and they offered immediately to replace it. I kept it as it was, but what great customer service. I have absolutely no reservations about ordering from them.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I first met Denny when he was scheduled to perform at my alma mater - the show was postponed because of weather. Did talk a lot with one of his assistants, though, who I believe was Alain Nu, from what I was able to piece together. This was back about 1985 or 1986.

I ran into Denny, for the second time, earlier this year at the Michigan Magic Day Convention. I talked with him at his booth at at his egg bag workshop. He's the type of guy who could be the only attraction at a convention, talking for days without explaining a trick, and yet he would have people on the edges of their seats. But, he'd certainly be willing to share tricks, too.

From his online interview, his lecture notes on the business side and the time at the convention, I learned so much!
Killed_CZ
View Profile
Regular user
Czech republic, Prague
173 Posts

Profile of Killed_CZ
My 2 cents:

Right now I have the pleasure to talk to Denny and I have to say he is really great. I have made order at his internet shop and just to ensure everything is ok, I called to his company. Well he took the phone in person, just to let me know the order is there and informed me about everything and also about some books he got etc. Smile It was fine to talk to him, one feels that do not disturb Smile As I am from the Czech rep., my english is not so good, I was happy he understand everthing Smile
jasanchez
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of jasanchez
In my opinion he is one of the best card manipulators I ever seen and a great person he is all ways willing to help, the first time I talk to him at the world magic seminar he gave some pointers on split fans, it amazing how much my split fans have improve . Thanks Denny for eveything

Jose
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Sitting Down With a Pro (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL