The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Non-traditional hat ideas, possible total makeover (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

avimagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood, Florida
235 Posts

Profile of avimagic
I am an Orthodox Jew and always wear a yarmulka (traditional skull cap). I don't go out in public (even to perform) without something on my head, but it doesn't necessarily have to be the yarmulke; there's nothing wrong with it being a hat.

Performing for Jewish audiences is no problem. But mixed crowds and non-Jewish audiences tend to wonder about it, and it can detract attention from the show.

I'm looking to start expanding my clientele and I want to find a hat that I can adopt as my "trademark." Wear it for all my photos, wear it in every show, etc.

My advantage is that I've been out of the biz for a little while because of career circumstances (I just did a search and found that until yesterday, my last post on this forum was almost 3 years ago!), but now I'm coming back, so I have an opportunity to make a fresh start and take on a new look and/or persona.

I need some ideas. Here are some things I've thought about so far, in no particular order:

• My style is comedic, with some danger thrown in to make sure people spend the required amount of time on the edge of their seats; I don't thing a top hat or wizard hat would fit.

• Comedy aside, I don't want anything TOO comical, like a pith helmet, propeller beanie, plush hot dog, etc.

• I'm not old enough, artsy enough, or French enough for a beret.

• The Harry Anderson 80s Fedora (photo) might be cool because I use a lot of 80s music. Anyone ever heard of a magician who does a "Totally 80's" retro-style show? Might be a nice hook, especially since the average attendee at an adult/corporate event is around the age bracket that spent their teen/college years in that decade and might appreciate such a show.

• Is the backwards Kangol hat way too overused in show business? (photo)

• Baseball hats seem kinda clunky and cliché, unless I'm working a sports-related event or doing a college show and wearing their team's colors (even that might be a little too much kissing up for me to handle. Come to think of it, maybe it would be cool to come out wearing their arch-rival's hat and when they boo me do a quick change...)

Thanks in advance for your input!

Avi
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Avi
A hat is just a component of your look, so my suggestion to you is to do it all at the same time. Gazzo looks dapper in his derby, my character works well with a top hat, Harry Anderson's hat made him look like a police detective. At this point my question to you is who do you want to be? Matisyahu is the Hasadic rock star, whoda thunk it?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
avimagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood, Florida
235 Posts

Profile of avimagic
Thank you, Al, for those excellent points.

With regard to the question of who I want to be, maybe I should have titled this post "Need a new look; who's got ideas?" In other words, I'm open. I want to be fresh and not look like everyone else. But I don't want to look too prim and proper or too wacky either. But in a pinch, I might choose wacky over prim and proper.

Re: Matisyahu: You got a laugh out of me on that one. But I don't have a beard and long black coat; I'm what we call "Modern Orthodox." I dress like everyone else except for the little beanie attached to my Jew-fro. If I looked more like Matis, I could certainly be the Conjuring Rabbi or the Enchanted Hassid or something. That'd be a hoot. But not really my style. Plus, despite the gray hairs popping up on top of my head, my face thinks I'm still 15. 37 years old and couldn't grow a beard even if I wanted to.

Again, I appreciate your response!

Avi
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I know the differance between Orthidox, and Hasadic. I'm from Philadelphia, and I do as many Purim parties as I do cub scout banquets.

Whatever you decide on I suggest to you that all women love a well dressed man.

How did Matisyahu get so hip if the Hasadic people live in such isolation?
avimagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood, Florida
235 Posts

Profile of avimagic
Great question. The sect of Hasidim that Matisyahu was a part of (I say 'was' because he has recently started moving away from them) is the exception to the seclusion 'rule' (not really a rule, but I couldn't think of a better word).

They are called Lubavitch (a/k/a/ Chabad) and their mantra is to go out and have an affect on the world, to bring people closer to God. Matis chose to do that through Reggae.

Philly, huh? I may have hired you at some point. I was the youth director at Lower Merion Synagogue in the late 80s.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I don't remember what the occasion was, but I've performed at the Lower Merrion Synagogue.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
I love hats. I always wear one when performing.

I don't think the Kangol backwards hat is overdone, but I don't feel like it is what you are going for. I wear one, frontwards, slightly tilted. It has kind of a cute edginess to it. A nice, short brimmed fedora may be the way to go. Actually Target carries some great hats right now. Go check 'em out!
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
avimagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood, Florida
235 Posts

Profile of avimagic
Quote:
Actually Target carries some great hats right now. Go check 'em out!

Well lookie lookie. There's a Target about three blocks from my office. I might just have to take a little detour on my way home today. Thanks a bunch!!!
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
My preference is the Newsboy and Big Apple Caps.

Biker's cap/wrap, cycling cap, alpine hat, skull cap, fisherman's hat/cap, Amish/Padre hat?
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Quote:
How did Matisyahu get so hip if the Hasadic people live in such isolation?

He became Orthodox in recent years. I hate to use the term "born again" but that is as close as I can describe it.

His real name is Matthew, can't remember his last name at the moment.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
So what if his parents are reformed Jews who go to a Synagogue with a female Rabbi, and before he became a Hasidic rock star he was a Dead Head, lets not get so picky. I have "Live at Stubs" on my ipod, and he is my absolute favorite Hasidic, Reggae, rap, rock, singer.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
I wasn't trying to come off as being picky. Just stating what I heard.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Magic1
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
408 Posts

Profile of Magic1
Building your performance character can evolve from the inside out or from the outside in. Clothing can help shape, build, and affect this. (Some say Chaplin's tramp was influenced by the hat and cane he found). Some actors find the shoes very important. But my best advice (and good luck Avi) is to go to a hat shop (or a hat section of a store or costume shop) and try on EVERYTHING you find interesting- from Fez's to Applecaps to Fedoras. Research and play. The hat will effect you, and finally, even if the hat gets lost- you will always be you. Knock em dead Avi! PS A small black kippah can often times be unnoticed (use it as a topit). Magic1
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Mucinud
You have read enough of my posts to know that I'm always looking for humor, and Matisyahu is a real hoot.

If you are going to MM III I'll see you there.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
In my humble opinion, you have a world of possibilities here. Personally, I'm of the opinion you should rethink the yarmulke. Anything that gets attention is a good thing. The wise magician learns to learn and refocus that attention, but getting it from the start is always a plus. Of course your comfort should receive first consideration, but I see no reason why you should feel any discomfort. Were I you, and of course I am not, I would look liberally into incorporating anywhere from a little to a lot of your faith into your performance. It seems to me to be a lot of who you are, and at the same time something somewhat unfamiliar to your audience. Your performance can always benefit from highlighting you. (assuming you, and what you highlight isn't socially unacceptable.)

Please forgive my ignorance if this comes across wrong, I offer it only in the spirit of assistance, but it is my understanding that the Cabala is the mystic portion of the Jewish faith. Perhaps you could make reference to the Cabala in your performances, in order to play up the mystic aspect both of what you do, and of your faith.

When creating a character and a performance, I have always found who you are makes a superb foundation for everything that follows. As such, the more of you that you use, the stronger the foundation of your presentation. The more of you there is in your performance, the more maintainable your character will be as well.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Quote:
On 2007-10-29 08:54, Al Angello wrote:
Mucinud
You have read enough of my posts to know that I'm always looking for humor, and Matisyahu is a real hoot.

If you are going to MM III I'll see you there.

I am planing to be there. My son will be helping one of the vendors.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
honus
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of honus
Quote:
On 2007-10-29 10:03, JackScratch wrote:
In my humble opinion, you have a world of possibilities here. Personally, I'm of the opinion you should rethink the yarmulke.

I agree with JackScratch. Think about ways to incorporate the yarmulke into your patter and even your effects. Would it be (I'm asking, I really don't know) offensive to find a chosen card under your yarmulke? Could you do some lines that are funny, but also educate the goyim like me about the yarmulke? ("No, I didn't lose my propeller on the way over here . . . ")

Zol zayn mit mazel!
jekyllandhyde
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of jekyllandhyde
Check out this site for some real cool ideas. A zoot suit would definitely fit your comedic style.

http://www.suavecito.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Non-traditional hat ideas, possible total makeover (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL