The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Spirit slates for closeup (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
I was wondering if anyone knows of spirit slates that can be used for closeup?
Ideally they wouldn't be too large and would be examinable in the end. If you have any suggestions please share. Thanks.

-Paul
dough
View Profile
Loyal user
Gee. . . 13 years, and only
238 Posts

Profile of dough
So far, I like using regular slates that I purchased at Michaels. I use a handling that shows all four sides blank Smile, afterwards they are completely examinable because they are just slates.
"One of the Last Ten in One Sideshows"
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Yes, Dough, I like that method, too. Two ways can be found in Tarbell.

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Bill,
Do you know which Tarbell shows these methods of "displaying" all four sides? Thanks.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Tarbell IV, page 389, "Simplex Double Slates," and p. 396, "Jack Miller Slate Routine." There is another that I prefer, to be found in Annemann's >Practical Mental Effects<. The Routine is "A Torn Letter," page 161. The Annemann book is available from Dover in quality paperback.

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You might also want to check out the "Single Slate Seance" in The Wizards' Journal #12 which uses (obviously!) just one slate instead of two. It is also just an ungimmicked slate from the craft store and depends on subtle trickery to make the message (any message) show up.

If you are going with the two slate method, Bill's reference to Annemann's Torn Letter will give you a much better move for showing the slates and numbering each blank side. However, I don't think much of the torn and restored paper effect thrown in on top of it, so I have often substituted a torn and wierdly restored version of my own. The spirits don't quite get the molecules of the paper back in one piece, but all the strips are laid in the right order and are stuck together somehow (glue stick). When you get the Annemann routine in front of you, you'll know what I mean.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
..oh and hank lee sells a nice size close-up spirit slate on the site...around 15 quid if I remember...they're quite a nice size...kinda a5 or so...

as these fine gentlemen have already recommended the good 'uns..if you're a dvd type person, there's a mentalism teach in dvd from stevens magic emporium, where steve shows you the moves too...
I've asked to be banned
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Thanks guys. I have the Annemann book so I will check there first. I haven't read all the way through it yet that is why I haven't seen it yet. I am only just beginning to read Practical Mental Effects. Thanks for the suggestions.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Spellbinder, I definiely have to check out your Single Slate Seance! It sounds like something I can use.

Bill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Spirit slates for closeup (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL