The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Stack arranged from new deck order (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

neoepicurus
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of neoepicurus
Question:
Without the use of perfect faros, is there any mention anywhere (routine/book/video) of a stack that can be quickly arranged from NDO in front of the spectator while giving a random appearance?
Not necessarily a specific/famous stack (like Aronson/Tamariz/SS) but rather even a routine or relevant discussion.
I'm investigating how one can take a new deck to a state that looks like chaos but that can be reverted to order.

[I realize the Tamariz stack (or even Si Stebbins apparently) can be derived from NDO, but perfect faros in front of the spectator might be risky business.]

Also, along the same line: one might ask: what are moves that genuinely change order of a stacked deck but in a controllable (i.e., reversible way)? For example, in that category, I am familiar with the following:
-cuts
-perfect in-faro
-I do a variation of Lennart Green's mirror shuffle where I deal out various numbers of cards from the deck onto the table (3 cards, then 4 cards, then 3 cards, and so on), creating a "more random" appearance upon finishing all the cards. Then, reverting the procedure by dealing again takes the cards back to order [PM me if you are curious about the details]

So the second question: are you familiar with any other moves/methods published or that you've discovered that seemingly randomize the cards but actually do it in a controlled or reversible manner?
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
On Vol. 1 of Greg Gleason's Theater Close-Up, he features a routine that starts with a shuffled deck, has two cards selected, lost in the deck and revealed. Even though it starts with a shuffled deck, the deck finishes in the stack for JC's Super Closer (a full deck stack).

I realize this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but the concepts taught there might be of some help.
neoepicurus
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of neoepicurus
Scott, that probably is not exactly what I'm looking for but it seems interesting because according to the DVD description, the SPECTATOR shuffles the deck, which means it's a genuinely randomizing shuffle. Since you seem to have this DVD: how long does the sequence which finishes in the Super Closer stack take? Is it a lot of move-y work, or is it the routine itself (meaning the interaction with the spectator for the card selection/revelation) that allows the deck to finish in the stack?
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
You start with a legitimately shuffled deck (it can even be borrowed, but it must be complete). What you're doing is performing a magic routine. When that magic routine is over (about 2-3 minutes), the deck is set-up for JC's Super Closer.

In short, it's the routine itself that allows the stacking of the deck.
nornb
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of nornb
It is possible to get to sweet Mnemonica without using Faros from NDO.
The method is in Chapter 2 of the Mnemonica Book and involves AntiFaro (dealing piles) and, if required, Klondike shuffling.
Tim Sutton
View Profile
Elite user
Tim Sutton AIMC, London UK
461 Posts

Profile of Tim Sutton
There are many thoughts of genius by Tamariz in Mnemonica; one section is devoted to ideas on setting up a stack in front of (or even with the participation of) your audience. This is something that could be done with any stack, from new deck or from shuffled order.

Tim
Nikodemus Siivola
View Profile
New user
Helsinki, Finland
39 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus Siivola
Drifting off the thread, but Oh Yes!

The Nikola method of setting up the stack during performance is not just sheer genius, it is also a really good trick: I was quite surprised by the reaction the first time I did it.
neoepicurus
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of neoepicurus
Thanks guys... I have been reading Mnemonica, and it's good stuff but I was just curious about more work along the same lines.

Nikodemus, I haven't tried Nikola's setup method in real performance, but what are you referring to when you say "reaction"?
Nikodemus Siivola
View Profile
New user
Helsinki, Finland
39 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus Siivola
Audience reaction.

Here's the story. I was performing a few things I'd been working on for a friendly audience. As the second to last piece I wanted to try the Nikola thing, frankly expecting it to kind of fall flat. It went great. If you can manage it, there is a nice rise of tension towards the end -- and the finish is nothing to sneer at either. I realized that what I had intended to close up with would not compare, so I just stopped there.

I didn't use the stack then and there, as I was unsure how the first bit would play out: I wanted to be able to cut it short and say "This is taking too long. Switch cards around till each of you holds his or her own card -- among others. Great! Now, you, give me all the spades. All the sevens. All the hearts..." to end it early. There was no need.

I do think the method is best suited for impromptu performances, though. For prepared situations there are better ways.
neoepicurus
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of neoepicurus
Great, I think I'll try it then...
I was previously worried with the Nikola method that the method would allow smart people to perhaps realize the possibility that I might have a stack memorized

[BTW, of course, Nikola's method is for impromptu; I mean, otherwise, in a prepared situation, we could always have several stacked decks ready!]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Stack arranged from new deck order (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL