The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Music for Growing/Shrinking head? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
I just ordered the disk and picked up the Black and Decker AD602 for under $11 as some suggested. It is 6V 130 RPM and has a foward and reverse. It looks more like a drill than a screw driver.

While waiting for the disk I tried out the driver and man it is super loud.

Is this the right product or is the stick one, the one looking more like a screw driver quieter. I am assuming you do not need as much TORQUE with a disk.I am assuming the noise if the gear system for driving screws. I have a 12 V recharable drill and it is much quieter than this thing.

I would say it is a distraction to have such a loud device.

Any suggestions or recommendations. The price was right but not the noise.
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
I always use a cordless screwdriver, not a drill. I've found that too much power is not good in this case, it causes the nut to unscrew itself off the bolt because it spins too fast. When I use a screwdriver, this never happens. Maybe it's just me, but I can't get it to work with a drill. It's a great illusion, and worth the time to figure out what works best for you.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Ways to set it up are discussed more on thid thread: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Rudy Coby did it on one of his TV specials.

But I think his was inspired by Jerry Andres.

The Jerry Andres hypmo wheel was spun by putting it on a turntable.
(if your old enough to know what that is) lol

Also I've saw someone do it and you could hear the cordless screwdriver noise in the backround.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Yes Andrus was well known beyond the magic community for creating the TRI-ZONAL SPACE WARPER. He has the main inner spiral and two outer spirals but the effect is different. His mades a wavy effect like looking into moving water.

Funny you heard the motor noise. The one I bought is going back since I think it is a distraction.
Donald the Average
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Donald the Average
I've got to add a big thumbs up for this effect. I've used it for various groups of people from youngsters to oldsters.

The only time it failed to get the desired reaction was when I used it for an audience of six year olds. As someone already mentioned, I guess they can't concentrate / focus long enough for the effect to sink in. As if to confirm this, in that same show there was a sprinkling of adults and one or two 12 year olds that raved over the effect as it obviously worked well for them.

Don't think 'Why should I pay for a bit of cardboard ?' Think about a talking point in your show that is sooo easy peasy to perform. Worth every penny !
Dal
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, TX
124 Posts

Profile of Dal
Several years ago I bought Bruce Kalver's Hypno-Wheel and I loved it. Later I bought the plastic version and I still loved it. There were problems though. First of all, the size. You have to have a large "pizza box" sized case to protect the thing. Secondly, I often got a glare from spotlights that ruined the effect for the audience. Finally, it wasn't big enough for my larger audiences.

These three issues have been solved by the guys at MacGyver Magic. They have created a version of this classic optical illusion that is a full 20" in diameter in performance mode, will fold down to 11" or even 6" and since it is made of cloth, it has no glare issues. It uses a wire in the outside rim that allows it to fold down once or even twice much like a sunshade for a car. It has a scissor cross bar frame that attatches by magnets and it comes with a cordless screwdriver. I have seen it demonstrated at three different conventions this summer and it killed every time. It's not on their website yet but you can call them for details.
Dal Sanders International Comedy Magician and Illusionist Based In Dallas, TX

The Society of American Magicians Past National President
M.I.M.C.*
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
I'm still waiting for my new one to arrive in the mail (since July 14). Thanks for the tip on this one as well.

Brian
devlinn
View Profile
Regular user
Orangeville, ON
118 Posts

Profile of devlinn
I had watched Capeharts DVD previously and it didn't work on me.

My son and I watched Bruce Kalver do this at the recent Abbotts Get Together.
Watching it performed from a stage, the effect is positively freaky!!!!
The audience reaction was unbelievable.
It's one of those things where you will get way more credit than the effort required...You press the button on a cordless drill and count to ten. It doesn't get much better than that...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Music for Growing/Shrinking head? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL