The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon tonight (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
honus
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of honus
Yep, that's what I was trying (very long-windedly) to say. Thanks, Paulo.
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Quote:
On 2007-11-09 10:56, Drewmcadam wrote:
Seems to me there is a problem... When I've performed on TV, I've had to forget everything about doing stage work, where every move has to be exaggerated. I have always played it as though I was doing close-up. However, PHEN has a live studio audience, so do you play for the camera, or do you play for the audience? It's a difficult one, and I think we have seen some of the problems that they have faced. Personally, I think they have all done remarkably well. (Better than I would have managed, that's for sure!)

Drew

I pondered this same thing as well when watching the show. Obviously the 2 settings are different. Treating the TV work as closeup is an excellent way to handle it. I also think that you need to play to the TV home audience. That is why TV was invented! The audience in the theatre is never seen and is also cued to applaud etc. So playing to them is pointless.

Chad
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Good point Chad. I really do not like to perform for large audiences anymore. Especially when I am floor level. At least they have jumbo-trons on Phen.

It also seems more difficult to "connect" to the huge audiences, at least for me anyways performing mentalism.

When I have been on TV (closeup) I sometimes end up neglecting the host and play to the cameras (better angles).

PS If this does not make sense, please forgive me, I have been up all night.
DMG
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of DMG
Quote:
On 2007-11-07 22:00, Bertrand Thornley wrote:
Bertrand ,
I actually thought that Angel was LESS self serving tonight.
But still....

Parson

He was more laid back but he basically insulted all mentalists by 1) saying Angela's was a nice "trick" and 2) I don't remember which one but he called one of them a good magician!....magician! What the heck is wrong with him? I wonder if his friend Banachek would like to be called a magician? I wonder if Gerry bills himself in Las Vegas as someone who does "tricks" ? He doesn't seem to have any respect for the premise of mentalism. The mentalism he himself exploits repeatedly to much childlike astonishment for his fans on his own show. He has absolutely no class.

Guess I don't understand - they aren't "tricks"??
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Well, tricks make it sound like "i fooled ya" - in the frat, the term "effect" has more class - like "the mutual suspension of disbelief to allow you to experience something magical"....

However, it all depends on the context and the person uttering it anyway
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
DMG
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of DMG
Quote:
On 2007-11-12 08:25, Dr Spektor wrote:
Well, tricks make it sound like "i fooled ya" - in the frat, the term "effect" has more class - like "the mutual suspension of disbelief to allow you to experience something magical"....

However, it all depends on the context and the person uttering it anyway

Seems like the line is a fine one.
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1920 Posts

Profile of DT3
I would reccommend all those interested to check out Gerry's myspace page (look under THE Mentalist (?!)) and read his blog entries to get a really good sense of what is going on backstage. He also explains the craziness with the lasers.

D.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon tonight (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL