The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » GENII - The Conjurors' Magazine » » Advertising in Genii (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
So far, I have not advertised my e-book, Switchcraft, but I was hoping to sell a certain number of copies and thought an advertisement might help me reach my goal.

Has anyone here ever try advertising in Genii?

Did the ad generate sufficient sales to cover the cost?

Do you have any tips on creating a small eye catching ad?

Does it pay to advertise several months in a row, or will there be diminishing returns?

Would it pay to advertise in both Magic and Genii, or would I just be reaching the same market twice?

Posted: Nov 14, 2007 10:16pm
Not a very exciting topic, I suppose.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
We advertise in Genii and are very pleased (Joe Porper ads)
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Thanks. Any specifics?

Posted: Nov 28, 2007 10:59pm
Well, I'm trying it out. The ad should be in the January issue.
Bill Rubie
View Profile
New user
Baltimore
61 Posts

Profile of Bill Rubie
You should repeat the ad. Keeping an item in view gives it recognition and some credibility. A logo attached is also helpful.

Good Luck and I look forward to seeing the ads

Bill
When a person starts off a factual statement with "They Say"...

Please ask, who are they?

Bill
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Thanks Bill. The issue should be coming out very soon. I want to see if the ad generates enough sales to pay for itself before making a decision about repeating it.
John T Cox
View Profile
Veteran user
385 Posts

Profile of John T Cox
Hi Elliott

This is from a completely different world than magic, but it may be helpful.

I was selling software products for the Apple computers a long time ago when the business was still small like Magic is. I wasted an enormous amount of time and money trying everything. I came away with some ideas. I went into Hypnotherapy later and applied what I learned previously. I wasted an enormous amount of time and money trying those things that I had learned. Ultimately I ended up with some ideas that I think may be helpful.

1) Ads should be placed in the magazine for a minimum of 3 months before you expect to get many responses. Repeat exposure to the ad appears to be necessary to get people to call/write/check web site etc.
2) The ad should be recognizable month to month. Use a logo, or a graphic of some sort that stays the same.
3) Don't change the copy of the ad much from month to month.
4) the point of the ad is to get people to ACT which means call/write/go to website
5) try to keep the copy as short as possible so that it is easy to remember.
6) Remember that people are there to get something of value to them and they have to recognize, at a minimum, that there is some value in pursuing the product by writing/calling/going to the web and not waiting to see if something better/different comes up next month.

I hope I can make these points a bit more clear sometime.

For magic, it seems that the goal of a print ad is to get them to a video demo on the web. The demo is to get them to say "gotta have it - NOW." Anything that you do that does not follow those two steps is a waste of time and money.

Depending on the size and location, the ad will probably not pay for itself unless you can convert the casual reader to an interested caller/mailer/browser. Just ask yourself, what is in this ad that makes me pick up the phone/mouse now rather than waiting.

Good luck,

John
The real magic is family!
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Thanks John,

Unfortunately, I am not sure if the ad does everything that, based on your post, it needs to do.

It’s a pretty simple ad.

I almost had a testimonial in the ad, but wanted to get special permission for that, and could not get it prior to the submission deadline.

The actual product is phenomenal, though.

I guess I'll see what happens in the next couple of weeks when people get their copies of the magazine.

Elliott

Posted: Dec 20, 2007 12:37am
So, there was some sort of computer malfunction at Genii and they lost my subscription renewal info. On the plus side, I'll be getting the two issues I missed. On the downside, as my issues are just being mailed now, I'll probably be the last guy on the planet to see the January issue...with my ad. Has anyone seen the ad? If so, how did it come out? It's a small 1/8th a page ad for an ebook called Switchcraft.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Page 93. It is simple, and direct.

But it doesn't give me much more. One bonus is that if I did Billet work, it might be enough for me to check the website.

If you have the ability to check the flow of traffic to your domain name, that is one way to check interest. If people are checking out your website from the ad.

And about the website... take one of the testimonials. Probably Osterlind's, and put it at the very top. So when I go to your website, that is the first thing I read. Piques my interest.

RevJohn
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Thanks RevJohn!!!

I'm glad it came out OK.

I wanted to go with "simple and direct," as I have never been a fan of all the hype and half truths you sometimes find in advertisements. I'm aiming for my customers to be very much pleasantly surprised with what they receive.

Although I sold very few books for the first few weeks "Switchcraft" was on the market, the approach has made the book relatively successful over the long run. People tell their friends about the book, or post their satisfaction online.

One advertising ploy that I almost used in the ad was the testimonial. If this ad does OK, I might buy another one and include a testimonial.

I'll also consider your advice about moving a quote to the top of the web page. I'm not sure if, using google page creator, I can even insert text above the header. I'll look into it.

Thanks again,

Elliott

Posted: Dec 23, 2007 10:03pm
I got the issue. The ad came out pretty well
magicorik
View Profile
Loyal user
Italia
203 Posts

Profile of magicorik
Hi Elliot!

Your work on billets, Switchcraft, is VERY good!

Now you will sell many copies.....

Easy, isn't it? Smile)

I think that a good way to advertise could be this forum....this is how I bought my copy.

E-books are difficult to sell and I think only people who are really interested in that particular subject are prone to buy them.....most will try emule first. You should go directly to people who are really interested in that particular subject otherwise you could waste you money.
It is easier to sell something "solid" as a new trick requiring a gimmick.

Google Ad could be a valid option as you can specify exactly your target.....

My 2 cents.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » GENII - The Conjurors' Magazine » » Advertising in Genii (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL