The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Complete Course in Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

la9
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of la9
I got this since the Henry Hay is out of print. Should I still be on the lookout for the Amateur magician's handbook ?

How different are the 2 ?
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Guess you have Wilson's book. It is great and will keep you busy for some time.

BTW, great choice to start.

Andy

If you are new, you might want to read this as well

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=41&29
Cards never lie
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
463 Posts

Profile of rgranville
You can get used copies of The Amateur Magician's Handbook on eBay for very reasonable (cheap) prices.

The approaches of Hay and Wilson are different. Along with the easier sleights, Hay also shows some of the more difficult ones. And Hay gives more philosophy on presentation. Wilson's tricks tend to be easier, which may help you gain more confidence before you try the harder stuff.

I obviously have both and think each has something of great value to offer to the beginner, as well as the experienced performer.

:banana:
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
The Wilson book is terrific and, in my opinion, offers a much broader overview of Magic. I also prefer the explanations, pictures, teaching and overall layout of Wilson's book. As a beginner book, this would be my recommendation of the two. You might also want to check out Harry Lorayne's The Magic Book. From there, any one (if not all) of the Tarbell books are a wise investment.

Best of luck!
la9
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of la9
I already have all the tarbell books, that's actually what got me started. I'm not really a beginner either I'm just adding some books to my collection. I figured if my son takes an interest I could hand him the wilson book instead of the 8 volumes of Tarbell. I just got it to look thru and learn some different approaches to things.

I was just wondering how many beginner books you need.

I mostly have mentalism books and just wanted to broaden the range of collection.

My favorite book in my collection right now is Encyclopedia of Suspensions and Levitations, not because of the material, although good, because it was hard to find and I had to hunt for it and in the end I actually got a good price on it.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
For a beginner, you've got all they'd need for the moment. Spending time studying the Mark Wilson book will give a beginner a great foundation to start with and a fantastic introduction to many different types of magic.

You can't go wrong with that.

Mark.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Complete Course in Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL