The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Something punny... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
It is said a pun is the lowest form of humor, so why do we use it in magic so readily? What do we think it does to our magical presentations?
L Trunk
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
207 Posts

Profile of L Trunk
Puns are not the lowest form of humour! That's why I use it so readily. Of course, there are bad puns, but 90% of everything ... etc.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Sounds like a question for Pun & Teller.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
This site is interesting and all about puns.

If you know how to use something, you can make it work well. If you don't, you can't.

Of course that's just me.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2007-12-03 05:21, L Trunk wrote:
Puns are not the lowest form of humour! That's why I use it so readily. Of course, there are bad puns, but 90% of everything ... etc.

Well stated. As Cleopatra said to Marc Antony: "I'm not prone to argue"---Except in the case where she criticized my apartment so I knocked her flat.

Badda-boom!!

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
We us puns because they are so easy to make. Most puns aren't laugh out loud funny, ...that is unless they are use at the perfect moment. Puns tend to be more of the "Roll your eyes and smile on the inside" funny.
Kyle Jarrard
"Entertainment at its Best"

http://www.kylesmagic.com
http://www.hypnobilly.com
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Hmmmm... I see puns as Ambrose Bierce put it from the link above:

'A form of wit, to which wise men stoop and fools aspire.' Ambrose Bierce

Just like a card trick.

You see the pun leads you down the garden path and then turns the sprinklers on you. It's effect is more 'I saw something coming and if I had known your little trick of the word, I would have caught it before you finished.' A foolish little trick of wordplay. And so it may telegraph to your audience that your "magical entertainments" are much the same... foolish little tricks to be groaned at and roll one's eyes at.

More importantly it sets up the paradigm that what you think you are experiencing is totally false, so why give any merit to this false reality, be it word structure or card trick.
EdgarWilde
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of EdgarWilde
A good pun is it's own reword
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
436 Posts

Profile of daver
I've read a number of places where it is said that puns are one of the highest forms of humor, and the ability to come up with good puns (not just repeat those memorized) is an indicator of higher intelligence.

Also, I value the ability to come up with bad ones off the cuff, because in performance, it's a great way to (re)engage audience participation:

"Awww, come on gang, can't I at least get a good groan for such a bad pun???"
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
tom_stamm
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
248 Posts

Profile of tom_stamm
A pun is two-thirds of a joke.

What is two-thirds of a pun?

P.U.

I'm really, really sorry. No Really!
Just Some Guy.

"For Seven Tons of the King's Tea,
Six Fine Ladies to Fight a Great Jackass -- me."
cmnipper
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of cmnipper
No puns for 7 days makes one week
Chad Nipper
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
In a good magic show there is a dramatic aspect. There are moments to create tension and moments to release tension. This variation in the focus by the audience is part of the entertainment. Puns are useful and they are not there to make the show "politically correct" or not. A "decent" joke may pull an elegant smile, a big one might get a laugh. The same pun with different performers in different circumstances can be great or embarrassing. It's rarely linked to the pun itself but to the experience or tlent of the performer.
The question of puns is whether they are audience oriented (aiming at really entertaining the audience) or self centered with the performer (it's a pun that makes HIM feel good). Exactly like magic what is audience oriented gets improved over time, what is self centered dammages the reputation of the magician further and further.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
Actually, the original quote might be wrong.

Per Issac Asimov, in his book, "ISSAC ASIMOV'S TREASURY OF HUMOR,
Quote:
"I suspect that by the time you readers will have reached this far in this section,
most of you will have muttered under your breath: "A man who will make a pun will pick a pocket", or "A pun is the lowest form of wit".

Well, the are both misquotations. It was John Dennis, a dramatist and literary critic,who was reported to have left the room in fury in 1693 when someone punned, saying, "A man who could make so vile a pun would not scruple to pick a pocket". But that refers to VILE puns, not good ones. Besides Dennis's plays were all failures, so I'm not sure he was such a great judge of wit.

Then, too, it was Noah Webster who said, "Punning is a low species of wit". To make that into "the lowest form of wit" changes it utterly. Besides, Webster was a pedant who couldn't bear to see words misused, and punning sometimes involves that which, to a straight-laced gammarian, would be misuse.

I personally like puns if they're fresh and appropos. I once was attending a work
"pot-luck" luncheon, and the guest of honor picked up a soup ladle and held it like
a microphone and started thanking everyone.

Someone in the back yelled for him to speak up.

The speaker looked confused and said, "What?".

I quickly said..."Speak a ladle louder".

Huge laugh, many groans. I'm still waiting to use this one again.
MiketheMagicDude
View Profile
Loyal user
CT
270 Posts

Profile of MiketheMagicDude
I'm a huge fan of puns. good ones though
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I believe the original intent of the statement "puns are the lowest form of humor" was that it was the lowest common denominator across cultures in humor. Personally I love them.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Flying Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Flying Magus
Puns are NOT the lowest form of wit. Flatualance is.
Magically yours,

Michel Fouché
Believe in the Impossible
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2007-12-02 14:03, Tom Cutts wrote:
It is said a pun is the lowest form of humor, so why do we use it in magic so readily? What do we think it does to our magical presentations?

Humour in magic has to remain a collateral otherwise the audience looses the plot of the effect or doesn't remember the card. We're after a fugitive smile not after a big center stage laugh which would push the magical effect into the wings. Thus puns are convenient and, mind you, there are some subtle ones.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
Lawrence, well said. Some people have the personality to pull off puns quit well. Some do not. I see puns as the fairy folk of the comedy world. They can be mischievous and sly and quite amusing. To say they are the lowest kind of humor is to say that ground beef is the lowest type of beef. Ever eat a poorly cooked steak or an incredible hamburger?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Something punny... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL